thai students rejected from US Unis' for cheating and lieing

3NUMBAS

I know some Chinese learners that want to go research in the usa but they hardly can talk british. I also know some who completed in the USA and still hardly can talk british.

I understand what you mean to say, all english speaking country's have their slang/accents but if you speak british english you can communicate with them.

In Europe we have the tv-show "The Valleys" with kids from Wales, i even can't understand two words in row of what they are saying. I even thought that it was an Irish or Scottish show but it seems to be real British. What a shame. I also have been in Wales myself but i never heard them speak that way.

I can't be an english teacher in Thailand because i am not a native speaker. So why the USA is graduating people who can't speak english at all and even on the highest levels?? The kids that go there to study are not poor and can afford a private teacher, well let them take one then on daddy's account. It is for a good sake after all.

It's worth remembering that speaking a language is a far different thing from reading and writing it. One can certainly be proficient, even expert at one, and not the other. If a student is a good reader and writes well, it has no bearing on their ability to speak in a way to be understood. If you aren't practicing with native language speakers, your accent is going to be a hindrance, especially if from a tonal based language like Thai.

You can have a doctorate from a US university, and still not be understood.

Do they also have to do an english language test for applying to an american university?

I know some Thai students that want to go study in the usa but they barely can speak english. I also know some who graduated in the USA and still barely can speak english.

Including one very famous one!

I heard that famouse one went to the Kentucky Fried Chicken University cheesy.gif

At least she can speak english although it is pretty bad. The ones that i know and graduated in the USA can't even speak 1 sentence to me properly and i really have no idea what they are trying to say.

In my homecountry the big university's also teach in english and there the students can speak it pretty well. So what goes wrong with the Thai students in the USA? I guess they don't mix with the native American students but that's just a guess. Then i wonder why they don't mix, are they to shy to make friends with the natives or is their cultural background to different to mix? I also know some Thai students been in the USA that speak fluent english, even better then me. Mainly the girls do speak better then the boys.

If you can't speak English , you shouldn't be able to pass any real university. All the scientific work is in English or translated to English....nothing beside a few famous things is translated to Thai, German, or Japanese.

Most important is to understand written text......

BTW; it`s spelt, lying not lieing.

I would not describe this as lying and cheating. All they are doing is exaggerating some facts or trying to make bluff. This should not affect their applications by American Universities, as surely it is whether they qualify educational grade wise that should matter?

It is a fact that many applicants, whether it is for employment of an education facility do stretch the facts in this now highly competitive world. But otherwise if they qualify I see no problem.

OMG I cannot resist ;

The joke about the KFC university in Kentucky USA came from the Thai around me. I had never heard about any university in Kentucky before but from now on i will always remember this person and her "english" as an example for students from that University. So i would never send my kids there.

This is an example of how it can also ruin the name of a (maybe higly recommended) university abroad. University's should make sure the graduated students can speak proper english to avoid situations like this.

The joke about the KFC university in Kentucky [sic]USA came from the Thai [sic]around me. I had never heard about any university in Kentucky before but from now on i [sic] will always remember this person and her "english" [sic]as an example for [sic] students from that University. So[sic] i [sic] would never send my kids there.

This is an example of how it can also ruin the name of a (maybe higly [sic] recommended) university abroad. University's[sic] should make sure the graduated [sic]students can speak proper english [sic] to avoid situations like this.

In Europe we have the tv-show "The Valleys" with kids from Wales, i even can't understand two words in row of what they are saying. I even thought that it was an Irish or Scottish show but it seems to be real British. What a shame. I also have been in Wales myself but i never heard them speak that way.

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

A NIGHT AT THE BAR!

I was at the bar the other night and heard three girls with an overabundance of flesh, talking at the bar.

Their accent appeared to be Scottish, so I approached and asked, "Hello, are you three lassies from Scotland?"

One of them screeched, "It's WALES, you bloody idiot!"

big%2Bgirls.jpg

So I apologized and replied, "I am so sorry. Are you three whales from Scotland?"

And...that's the last thing I remember...

Edited by wym
  • Like 2

There are thousands of tertiary institutions in the US that aren't very demanding, neither to get into nor to graduate.

If you have the money to pay for papers to be written for you, join study groups that collate lecture notes etc you can get just about any type of degree you like without really learning much.

Just the top say 20% quality ones that actually care about education, most are just churning them out, and foreigners paying top dollar help subsidize the locals.

I used to work at a major public university in the U.S., and often dealt with the Thai students we had enrolled.

A few were enrolled in the regular academic programs of the university, meaning they had to pass entrance exams and such. But I suspect that group mostly were Thais whose families had already emigrated to the U.S. and gone thru U.S. schools to some extent.

But most of our students direct from Thailand came first for private English language programs like English First, and then enrolled in our Extension program (not the regular admissions process for degree programs) where TOEFL scores were required. The main criteria in Extension was being able to pay the quite hefty tuition. And of course the Extension program included English language classes because of its large foreign student complement.

Those are non degree programs, but people can earn certificates, and some of the classes could ultimately count toward a degree program. And students could transition to a degree program after some years in Extension, assuming their families had A LOT of money to support that.

But probably most importantly, the Extension program is eligible for student visa status, which is what most of them really wanted. So it becomes a ticket to stay and live in the U.S. for several years at least, and be able to say they studied in the U.S. at such and such university.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK