Permanent move to Thailand

homeownership

Have you got your gas masks supply ?

Burning season started already?

yes it has. while driving around some remote, rural farming villages in the San Kamphaeng area yesterday, they were burning everywhere. we saw at least 6 fires. we even saw a little girl no more than 10 or 11 years old controlling one fire; swatting it and sweeping burning debris with an old broom. parents taught her well! the smoke was unbelievable. it seems they always use an old tire to ignite these fires.

Air fine where we are - Suthep/Hang Dong...... but the smoke should be rolling in within a week or 2.

I just want to put a differrent perspective on burning...as a home own...dweller.

I need to make fire myself but only leaves.

Last june I made a compost area and it gets filled with garden debris and cooking veggie stuff.

The leaves just don't break down unless there is a lot of rain.

In the uk the leaves fall from the trees in sept oct and then weeks and weeks of rain,snow ,shot makes it compost in no time.

Here leaves fall now only to be followed by the hottest driest weather, my compost bin is overflowing with no hope of rain till next june.

the soil here has about one worm per rai so making good compost and fertiliser is wishfulthinking.

So as a way of getting rid of piles of leaves a fire is the answer. Isn't it?

And the ash can be mixed into the clay.

We have running water here to wet my compost pile.....you must really be in the sticks

Air fine where we are - Suthep/Hang Dong...... but the smoke should be rolling in within a week or 2.

I just want to put a differrent perspective on burning...as a home own...dweller.

Last june I made a compost area and it gets filled with garden debris and cooking veggie stuff.

In the uk the leaves fall from the trees in sept oct and then weeks and weeks of rain,snow ,shot makes it compost in no time.

Here leaves fall now only to be followed by the hottest driest weather, my compost bin is overflowing with no hope of rain till next june.

the soil here has about one worm per rai so making good compost and fertiliser is wishfulthinking.

Well silly me built my compost area one meter further away than the hosepipe reaches, so watering it like a fireman with low pressure isn't great.

Are you saying spend 200bt on a longer hose and I don't need to burn.?

'existance' is certainly the right choice of word.

I prefer a 'life' myself, down here in glorious Pattaya.

PP

I trust you are having a little joke with us.

I think not... Did you notice the name he goes by? To each their own, I guess. I went to Pattaya once. Didn't even stay the night. Can't say that I'd ever want to go there again. But Chiang Mai has a lot of charm (IMHO), and I only get to visit there.

• Like 1

Welcome to Chiang Mai. Yes we have a smoky smog season about mid Feb. to mid April give or take. But it is no where near as bad as people make it out to be. All though there has been two years in my 8 years that were not nice at all.

It is not nice but there are other places in the world that make us look like we have clean air. If one has respiratory problems that can be a different kettle of fish. Strongly suggest getting a good mask. Not sure what constitutes a good mask here but I am sure some one will tell you. Also some one will tell you they are useless.

Some of the more affluent take this time of the year to go on extended holidays to other locals. I am jealous.sad.png For myself I just don't spend a lot of time outside at that time of the season and it is no bother. Inside I admit I run an air con even though later on in warmer times I will not. Chiang Mai has so many things to offer that if you wish you can be busy from sun up to sun down or just kick back find a place with a nice view and enjoy that.

In my opinion location is the most important thing if it is going to be your home. So don't rush into it.

In closing I will mention that I had met three elderly ladies here on the street. A week later I ran into them at a nice restaurant. I was telling them that this is not smoggy all year like this. They just laughed and said they grew up in Los Angelus no problem.wai.gif

• Like 2

PP

we all have different definitions for the Thai "paradise." Is burning season annoying for 3 months each year in the north, yes.

would I trade it for the sesspool of tourist and sexpat infested wasteland of Pattaya? Noooooo waaaay! To each his own.

• Like 1

We have running water here to wet my compost pile.....you must really be in the sticks

Well silly me built my compost area one meter further away than the hosepipe reaches, so watering it like a fireman with low pressure isn't great.

Are you saying spend 200bt on a longer hose and I don't need to burn.?

Well if 200 baht is a problem we might be able to get an extra metre of hose and a joiner donated.

If you layer your compost with a few cms of soil and keep it moist you will soon get worms. Plenty of web sites on composting and they make sense

rather than adding to the smog.

• Like 1

PP

I think not... Did you notice the name he goes by? To each their own, I guess. I went to Pattaya once. Didn't even stay the night. Can't say that I'd ever want to go there again. But Chiang Mai has a lot of charm (IMHO), and I only get to visit there.

"To each their [sic] own, I guess. I went to Pattaya once. Didn't even stay the night. "

Quite the expert then, hmm? You probably felt homesick for the lively discussions of compost heaps and respiratory diseases.

• Like 1

PP

Never been to either of them, but whatever, you know, 'life' which is our own, is what we make of it wherever we are. One of our locals in the far, far, far nor'east of Eastarn!, is from England. Whenever i hear him complaining about "anything', I say

"better than living in Manchester though, isn't it?"

That shuts him up.

I had been to Thai several times, but when I met my first real locals, who took me to their "home", a second hand timber and corrugated iron, laborer's dormitory, in the then, new, Bangkok power station's building site, I got a great introduction to their creativity and hospitality.

Without a stove, or fridge, and ingredients from the local market in plastic bags with fresh herbs, they produced a 17 course meal. I bought the beer and paid for the tobacco. Not a bad trade.

I have never eaten so much in years. It was so delicious. Every time I started to feel uncomfortable from the hard floor or heat, water was produced, or a pillow, or a fan as if they anticipated my feelings. It was an interesting experience and one I won't forget.

The Thai people have unique qualities, and I believe you can experience it everywhere in this fantastic country.

I love Thailand and think Nok Air and the way they decorate the exterior of their aeroplanes is a good indication of where they are coming from.

Hilarious. It makes me very sad that they have become victims to a certain extent of their own kind in this current political foment.

You need a dose of reality, and see the dark side where life is so cheap, cops so bent along with half of the population, yes there are good Thais but as a farang you will find you are viewed as simply a money sorce.

• Like 2

PP

"To each their [sic] own, I guess. I went to Pattaya once. Didn't even stay the night. "

Quite the expert then, hmm? You probably felt homesick for the lively discussions of compost heaps and respiratory diseases.

1. Don't 'sic' me unless you know what you're talking about: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/each .... "each to his/their own (mainly US to each their own)". Try as you might, it doesn't make you appear smarter than others.

2. To my recollection, I have never had a conversation about compost heaps or respiratory diseases, but I suspect I would not find bar-stool conversations about venereal diseases particularly appealing either...

• Like 2

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/city-hall/

What's in yellow and they call "moderate" is actually considered as dangerous (above 50PM10)

What's they good "good" is actually just below the dangerous line

And that's the "good" season.

Now if I am a millionaire like the OP, and I could live anywhere I like, I think I would choose to live in a place where the air is clean, but that's me

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangmai/city-hall/

What's in yellow and they call "moderate" is actually considered as dangerous (above 50PM10)

What's they good "good" is actually just below the dangerous line

And that's the "good" season.

Now if I am a millionaire like the OP, and I could live anywhere I like, I think I would choose to live in a place where the air is clean, but that's me

I don't think you can buy property in the middle of the ocean.

• Like 1

I hope you will not regret soon your step. For me, no valid option, low quality of live in Chiang Mai, I lived there several times for a short time. Traffic jam, air pollution, crowded city center, too many farangs. There are many nicer places in Thailand, e.g. Mae Hong Son or Chiang Rai, for not speaking of nice places in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia. And continental Europe is simply too beautiful, I would not miss it. Thailand is good enough for a visit in European winter time, but even then neighbouring countries offer more then Chiang Mai.

Edited by AloisAmrein
  • Like 2