Ko chang

neilf

Not been here several years

Road surfaces dreadfull

A prices 50% pattaya plus

2 people dead today in bkm inc a cop and paddys palms wants 1300 a room and says high season till may

The inmates are running the asylum-----miss hello miss !

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I ve been there 2 weeks ago and in November as well. Had some good deals via Agoda and I like the island more then Samet.

You can take your car on the island, drive to some nice places but need to be carefull of course when driving inthere.

Its on of my favorites islands as its just a 3.5 hour ride (incl ferry) to Koh Chang, cant beat that if you go to Koh Lanta or to Koh Tao by plane....

If u can get from patts to ferry term in 2.5 hours or so u are doing a lot more speed than my sedate 110 kph !!

Edited by neilf
  • Like 1

I stay at Cookies Resort at White Sands Beach, it's right on the beach, has a large pool in front of your really large room and breakfast is included in the price.

Beach side is about Tb1800 to Tb2500 a day and other side of road Tb1500 to Tb1800. It's right in the middle of town where all the action is.

There are a heap of other resorts there as well to stay and the prices vary a hell of a lot, depending on what you are looking for. My Thai wife does all the negotiating and thus gets it cheaper all the time.

Edited by OZEMADE

Am in Sai Garden Guest House - 600 baht a night shared bathroom - very cool temp wise tonight - KC seems as it always is - clean, not too expensive and chilled out.

Yes, the temp has dropped this afternoon, quite chilly and although I am In Chanthaburi now, when I lef the island today, it ws already greay and cold.

As for Koh Chang, I don't think the OP will be missed. It's still a great place, but a little busy on the roads at present. Other than that, trumps many of the other tourist traps, and if the prices keep The Scratchers and Chang Vest wearers away, then great.

• Like 2

Paud 90 baht fir small leo last night in dump of a bar !!

Why don't you just admit it--you're broke, bitter and old. Complain all you want if it floats yer boat

There's always Cambodia...w00t.gif

Edited by cloghead
  • Like 1

Went to the Car Audio show at Klong Prao last night - some of the beefiest car audio systems and lighting rigs I have ever seen all playing out music from their 50 systems that are being djed from the stage. To top it all off there is a 2 hour long coyote show with 30 of Thailand's finest young ladies in bikinis dancing atop them . 150 baht to get in proceeds to Rotary Club includes a free tin of beer and a raffle. Loads of food stalls and after that tins of beer are 50 baht - what's not to like - last night is tonight so whatever your tastes this is an amazing sight indeed.

19.00 - 24:00

Went to the Car Audio show at Klong Prao last night - some of the beefiest car audio systems and lighting rigs I have ever seen all playing out music from their 50 systems that are being djed from the stage. To top it all off there is a 2 hour long coyote show with 30 of Thailand's finest young ladies in bikinis dancing atop them . 150 baht to get in proceeds to Rotary Club includes a free tin of beer and a raffle. Loads of food stalls and after that tins of beer are 50 baht - what's not to like - last night is tonight so whatever your tastes this is an amazing sight indeed.

19.00 - 24:00

Saw some of the pics, looks like a fun evening. Off the island this weekend so no chance of getting there.

Probably too pricey for the OP though.

• 4 weeks later...

It aeems cost of everything has gone up 25% last 6 months on ko chang

I live there, and it has not gone up 25% in prices.

Hey Toad, you say you live there. House, condo? what's available on the island for say a family of 4. 2+2 kids. Not looking for short term high season rentals, something longer term.

Cheers

When does Koo Chang celebrate Songkla and for how many days?

It peaks in Pattaya on the 19th so I am planning to go to the Island most likely on the 15th and head back to Pattaya on the 20th.

I don't mind Songkla for 1 or 2 days but Pattaya have turned it into a 10 days water madness which I can't stand anymore.

It peaks in Pattaya on the 19th so I am planning to go to the Island most likely on the 15th and head back to Pattaya on the 20th.

I don't mind Songkla for 1 or 2 days but Pattaya have turned it into a 10 days water madness which I can't stand anymore.

I think Songkla is a province in The South, so not aware that it is celebrated here. ( just joking)

However, if you are meaning Songkran, it starts on the 13th for 3 days, last year they did another two days the following week, I hope they don't do that again. Thankfully, not many bothered with the initial days.

I will do my very best to avoid it.

• Like 1

I think Songkla is a province in The South, so not aware that it is celebrated here. ( just joking)

However, if you are meaning Songkran, it starts on the 13th for 3 days, last year they did another two days the following week, I hope they don't do that again. Thankfully, not many bothered with the initial days.

I will do my very best to avoid it.

Last year on the last day of Songkhran, for the first time, i saw drunken locals throwing water after the sunset and well until 10/11 pm.

Water madness is creeping slowly but steadily it seems.. I will try my best to avoid the road.

Agreed, there were morons out after dark throwing water, I plan to spend the 12th and 13th in the garden with a BBQ.

Will then go back to work on the 14th - as work will unfortunately have some "Songkran Activities" on the 13th, and I am to old and grumpy these days to put up with it.smile.png

Are they doing that second Songkran this year a week later? I bloody hope notbah.gif

Bye Bye, loser

Don't let the door hit you in the ass

AND...do remember to attend your AA meetings from now on laugh.png

Sounds like YOU need to attend some anger management classes blink.png

The OP may be a little ki niao but I think there's some reason to what he's saying. I've been coming here since the 80s, and while bungalow prices on the islands have gone up by a factor of 10 or more (maybe more like 20x, I stayed on Samui back in the day for less than 100 a night, basic bungalow but unforgettably wonderful experience--of course that ship has long sailed), the quality hasn't kept pace. IMO what's happened is short-term visitors with little clue about the world outside Euro-America think 20-30 euros a night (or more) is cheap, because after all you have to pay 60-70 euros a night in Paris for the cheapest hotel rooms. Never mind there's a bit of earning disparity between the two regions, like a factor of 5 or so.

Why doesn't anything else cost 10 times what it did back then? Taxi flag-fall is still 35Bt, food's still reasonable. But accoms have gone WAY up. Again, IME most travellers/tourists are pretty clueless--how many learn even one word of Thai?--and are malleable as sheep when it comes to pricing--tell 'em 1000Bt for something worth 400 and they may haggle it down to 800!

Sure, it's a free-market country and anyone's welcome to charge what the market will bear. I just think the Thais realized clueless tourists will pay too much and raised prices accordingly, especially on the islands. A pricing structure based on low-information buyers is by definition out of balance.

Just because it's inevitable doesn't make it right. And there's nothing wrong with protesting too-high prices--if nothing else it discourages the increasing inequality between the working and rentier classes in Thailand. That might be too poli-sci for most folks tho.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

To be honest though, KC compared to other island is still relatively cheap - I think the cheapest accomodation I've seen here is 150 baht a night, which is in Bang Bao and Lonely Beach - can't imagine they are great, but fits a certain demographic. Price wise still 30 baht noodles and simple thai dishes around - but not in the main tourist drags.

I can eat fairly cheaply still here, and as there is not an abundance of international chain hotels, an airport , international schools and condo's then that will keep a cool on the prices in KC -land prices though are certainly increasing, and there has been a lot of new building. All in all though, still cheap compared to other toursit spots, and I've lived on the island for 4 years.

• Like 1