Cost effectiveness of well vs. municipal water supply.

It is not a matter of economics but a matter of consistency and quality, Municipal water service can be spotty at times, and the water quality, especially in the dry season when water levels are low in the reservoir can be pretty bad.

• Like 2

Also to be considered, especially with drilled deep wells, is that the water might be potable (=drinking water). A lot of savings there if you don't have to buy your fishes' drink separately. Some cost though of periodically having the water tested for potability.

• Like 1

also take into account that the pump will clog with mud from the bottom of the well, and will thus need constant maintenance. For Thailand this means that once you do not watch over preventive maintenance, a word not contained in Thai language, nobody will care about the pump.

Not true, i know people that have had the same sub pumps in bore holes for 10 years+ with no issues. Pulling a sub pump to surface for routine inspection is not that big a job.

Whether it's economical or not, depends what you're doing. If it's just a residence with small garden possibly not worth it. If you have a large piece of land growing fruit / veggies / produce definately worth while.

• Like 1

I live in a somewhat rural setting...We opted not to do a well..we have two large cisterns which we fill off the village source...when the village stops pumping & we run dry (once or twice a year) we buy water.. I also have two catchments for rain water.

• Like 1

We pay around 300 a month for water. Pretty good when you consider the number of showers and the amount of laundry we do, large family.

One thing about the water, I have to filter mine, even though it's town water it's not clean and I get a skin rash from it. When I went to see the doctor he said many foreigners in that area have trouble with skin rashes from the water. So either way you may need to think about the cost of filtering the water too.

Even after just a few showers the filter starts to turn brown in colour.

also take into account that the pump will clog with mud from the bottom of the well, and will thus need constant maintenance. For Thailand this means that once you do not watch over preventive maintenance, a word not contained in Thai language, nobody will care about the pump.

Not sure about that? For starters the pump will/should not be on the very bottom of the bore.

I have 2 bore pumps 1 a grundfos been in over 30 years and never been touched the other a hitachi 6 years old never had a problem also. It is soft water also.

• Like 1

Was reading this topic and I do understand that a permit is required to drill a well.

After the well is drilled is there any charge to use the water under the ground?

Because it is a state resource

Send me any info would be greatfully thanks

No city billing for water use from my well in Chiang Mai...

Was reading this topic and I do understand that a permit is required to drill a well.

After the well is drilled is there any charge to use the water under the ground?

Can I ask how is your quality of water, how deep u had to drill and what is your well capicity ?

Because I am looking at drilling also in Chiang rai but was told had to go deep to get to good water because the amount of chemicals used in farming

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

We have Bangkok city water and haven't had any problems for the 11 years we have lived here. The cost is trivial - usually between 200 to 300 baht per month. We have a 2,000 liter tank and a 305 watt pump to ensure good water pressure upstairs, but have no idea what the electricity costs because our electric bill is high from running air conditioners, under sink water heaters, plus a washer and drier.

If you live upcountry, then it would depend upon where you live, of course. If your city water runs low or dry, your well will probably follow unless it is very deep or you are very lucky. As one poster mentioned, your pump and the entire system will require periodic maintenance. You'll probably need water filters which will also require periodic replacement. How often will depend upon local conditions. Good luck.

You have to pay for your drilled well and pump. Having said that,

1.Town water is not reliable, the well is

2. Town water is brown, well is not. White wash comes out brown tinted

3, Town water cannot drink. Well can drink

4. Town water soft, well hard - better for your body

5. town water smells of fish. well has no smell

I have a jet pump, water is 35mtr down. Drilled last year,cost of 25,000bht inc pump, just before town water ran out for 6 months. It serves 4 houses, ours, wifes 2 sisters and brother. OK, it does cost a little more, but for quality and reliability, I know what I would rather have

• Like 2

Do you know how much will be the City water monthly bill for a small 2 bedrooms house with 2 occupants?

My bill is between 200 and 300 Baht monthly. Myself and my wife live here alone....we use a lot of water on flowers and trees and because the house is in a company name we pay a higher rate per unit. I think this is a really great price. If it does occasionally stop coming for half a day or so, no problem, the two tanks we have would keep us going for at least a week.

our village water in the past 18 months has been a joke.....maybe on twice a day for 15 mins at a time...so spent the time filling dustbins with water ....last summer no water for 4 months...had to go to the next village and get water from there everyday.....we have since drilled down 45 mts...cost of drilling including the plastic pipe work 4500 bht..pump 7200 bht .electrical wire and safety breaker 300 bht....electrician 250 bht..........cost of village water was about 70 bht a month but bearing in mind the water was hardly on....the cost now maybe around 250 bht a month on the electric bill but we have good quality soft drinking water plus we have started growing fruit and veg on our land due to the fact we have water 24 hours a day...

• Like 2

When I first moved here we had no electricity. I used a petrol pump from the well to supply a tank in the roof, so the water we use is gravity fed. Of course the pressure is lower than mains water but that reduces the amount of water you use and saves money. After mains water was supplied I connected it to the tank in the roof, so that when the mains supply stops, which it used to do frequently, we still had water. I have drunk rain water here for the last twenty odd years and just run it through a basic filter.I am still alive and kicking with no health problems that I know of. Ignorance is bliss??xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Can I ask how is your quality of water, how deep u had to drill and what is your well capicity ?

Because I am looking at drilling also in Chiang rai but was told had to go deep to get to good water because the amount of chemicals used in farming

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

I am also in Chiang Rai but 7km from the city and no municipal water supply in our village. I have a well, initially 8m but water unreliable so had another well dug at 18m which has been fine. I have a second concrete tank with a sand filter which needs to be backwashed every 2 months. The depth of well needed depends on the area so you would be better off finding out what the locals do. From my experience I would recommend going deeper than you think necessary and fit an automatic cut-out to your pump(s) as this is much cheaper than replacing them if they run dry and burn out.

I live on my own in Hua Hin and it is now quite unusual to have any city water at all. I have water delivered about once a week, by the Cha-am Fire Service if I happen to be in when they come around, and by a private contractor when I am desperate. In the occasional month when I actually received the city water, it was very cheap, only about 75 baht per month, whereas having water delivered has cost me as much as 1600 baht in the worst month (private contractor) but more usually about 1000 baht. When no city water is delivered at all I am still charged 35 baht which I believe is the standing charge. No great deal, but a bit annoying, particularly if I do not catch the meter reader and I have to go to the Cha-am office to pay the bill..

Neighbours who have had 80 metre deep wells installed share the service and the 160,000 baht installation cost with perhaps two other neighbours, but each then has to buy a filter costing around 20000 baht, depending on its size and specification. I have been unable to participate in any of my immediate neighbour's schemes and the cost of going it alone is a bit prohibitive.

Those 1000l big jugs cost only about 800b delivered with lids, if you have the room it is worth have a few of them, join them up and use them as a header for the pump as well even if on town water as sometimes the flow to the house is less than the pump wants when you have several taps on and it cavitates & this will cover when they turn water off for maintaince etc. (you only need 1 really) we are currently using town water in the house, but have a 5000l underground tank with a float switch that the pump feeds from. what I mentioned above is cheap and works.

Previously used well water, that was good quality, we were lucky that was used mainly to water 2000m2 of manicured lawn.

You have to pay for your drilled well and pump. Having said that,

1.Town water is not reliable, the well is

2. Town water is brown, well is not. White wash comes out brown tinted

3, Town water cannot drink. Well can drink

4. Town water soft, well hard - better for your body

5. town water smells of fish. well has no smell

I have a jet pump, water is 35mtr down. Drilled last year,cost of 25,000bht inc pump, just before town water ran out for 6 months. It serves 4 houses, ours, wifes 2 sisters and brother. OK, it does cost a little more, but for quality and reliability, I know what I would rather have

Thanks 4u2mad!! This is the most input I've had for any post so far. The items you mention are really valid and the cost details are very helpful. I never gave a thought to drilling the well for the whole family!

Our house is being built in the family compound and I'm sure we would all benefit big time from all of the above mentioned

details. Now.....If I can just get someone to recommend a reputable, preferably English speaking, builder in the Roi-Et area

I'll be chuggin' right along!

Edited by The Usual Suspect

our village water in the past 18 months has been a joke.....maybe on twice a day for 15 mins at a time...so spent the time filling dustbins with water ....last summer no water for 4 months...had to go to the next village and get water from there everyday.....we have since drilled down 45 mts...cost of drilling including the plastic pipe work 4500 bht..pump 7200 bht .electrical wire and safety breaker 300 bht....electrician 250 bht..........cost of village water was about 70 bht a month but bearing in mind the water was hardly on....the cost now maybe around 250 bht a month on the electric bill but we have good quality soft drinking water plus we have started growing fruit and veg on our land due to the fact we have water 24 hours a day...

Thanks, nongsangcity for the installation details! Very handy!

• Like 1

I live in Kaeng Krachan and I have a 125 meter (410 feet) bored well. The water is hard as hell but very good for drinking. The hardness level was in the 800 range so I purchased a very large water softener system from a company in Hua Hin and even after softening, the water tastes great for drinking. The well is now over two years old and at times has been pumped for 24 hours a day for two or three days to fill a pond. No problems at all. I paid about $5,000 usd to have it drilled but would do the same thing again. As someone indicated in a previous post, the local water is shut off at times and I no longer have to worry about this. As a matter of fact, we were pumping water in tanks that the neighbors brought over because they had no government water. They offered to pay but no way would I accept payment for something as necessary as good water.

I have two wells upcountry, the water is pumped into two storage tanks. It is great to have water all year round where the local supply is both weak and dirty sometimes. We use a filter for one tank that we drink and cook with. The other is for shower and toilets. Costs less than 200baht a month. Our wells were already there but it is near surface water at a depth of 6m.

My well cost 120K complete with 1.5HP Franklin sub pump, it's 108 meter to the bottom and was then picked up and hung off at 105M ( no mud / puss ). It puts out 70LPM and i have had no issues.

I go through between 3000-4000 litres a day and govement water not available where i am.

I am happy with my bore hole, only issue is there is a lot of calcium in the water which i am looking into.

In terms of any fiscal benefit associated with sinking a well it will take a finite time for you reach a point whereby you recoup your initial costs. Probably the biggest factor affecting the point of breaking even is your rate of water consumption. If your usage is low you may never break even.

As some have said earlier. consistency of supply and water quality is a real benefit though. We sank a well eight years ago and installed two resovoir tanks and a filter system. Never had a problem and we broke even after about two years. Based on the pump rating, the ammount of time we run the pump and current cost of electricity, I estimate we pay between 220 and 300 THB a month nowadays. For municipal water we would pay about 800 THB.

If you're looking to save money, you probably won't unless you use a lot of water. If you're looking for consistency of supply and good water qualiy, just go for it and sink your well.

Fitting a small filter for drinking water is also an option if your only concerned about cooking/drinking water quality.

Jerry

• Like 2