You came to Thailand, what did you expect, what do you want?

laislica

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been here since i was 9.

I am adopted by thai's, came here with them.

had no expectations as i was too young, just remember how strange everything seemed to begin with.

new country, new school, new language.. (although i already spoke some on account of my parents) it was pretty hard for the first few years.

once the language barrier past (a year or so) things got easier in some ways, i.e making and communicating with friends.

I am 37 now.

do i like it here? honestly... so so

it is just home i guess, my parents are here, i am married have a job etc etc

if we were rich, then i think we would rather live somewhere else.

Me and my wife have been fortunate to travel to other countries and have often said that when we retire we would very much like to live somewhere else.

I guess the fact that i have grown up here contributes to the bordem factor,

i dont hate it here (well, some days i do) but i dont really like it either, i just get on with it really..

is there worse places to live? sure...

are there nicer places to live? quite probably

but until me and my wife retire, we are kind of stuck here....

Edited by tyler2208
  • Like 2

I came here because I had sex with a little girl with coffee coloured skin. She was the most beautiful thing I had seen in my life. I used to wake up early just so I could lie there and look at her face while she slept. Four years later she left me, without a trace, and with a broken heart. I am now with another little girl, her skin is a little less black, and hopefully her heart is a little less black as well.

"A little girl?"

I do wonder about some TV members. We have a list for people like you back home.

• Like 1

I'm in Thailand as an expat, moved by my company. We (I and my husband) moved here two years ago and although we both had visited the country several times before, the reality was far worse than what neither of us expected. Initially, we were contemplating of staying in Thailand indefinitely, but that has since changed. I was not prepared to the rampant corruption, xenophobia and racism. Understanding that we will always be treated as less-than, has made me regret ever moving here.

I know there are tons of farang who couldn't be happier here and I wish them all the best, I honestly do. We will soon be packing our belongings and moving away and I can't wait for that to happen.

Aye, life can be like that, it is not one size fits all.

Better luck with the next move.

I'm in Thailand as an expat, moved by my company. We (I and my husband) moved here two years ago and although we both had visited the country several times before, the reality was far worse than what neither of us expected. Initially, we were contemplating of staying in Thailand indefinitely, but that has since changed. I was not prepared to the rampant corruption, xenophobia and racism. Understanding that we will always be treated as less-than, has made me regret ever moving here.

I know there are tons of farang who couldn't be happier here and I wish them all the best, I honestly do. We will soon be packing our belongings and moving away and I can't wait for that to happen.

please, please, please tell me you are not American. This would be a very sad post if you are.

Thailand for me is not unlike any other country I have lived and worked in. As I have posted here on this forum many times.....I wake up. go to work, pay the bills, kiss my wife and children, and enjoy working on our farm. So it could have been a number of other countries but just so happens it is Thailand.

As for the above post, sorry for your experience but it is much the same or even worse in many other countries I have lived and worked in. I can honestly say that living here in Thailand it is almost refreshing to experience all of the above items you have mentioned and everybody knowing it is happening. In some other countries you know it is happening but the governments try to conceal or whitewash it.

• Like 1

Give it a few years and few cases of whisky and your attitude will change

I first came here for a convention. Seen how so much more relaxed it was compared to the "rat race" way of life I had at home. Realized that the purpose of earning money was to make life as comfortable as possible, so why wait, if I sold my house... now....I could live comfortably enough here....that was 12 years ago. If I die tomorrow I have had the happiest 12 years of my life......no regrets.

I also very regularly get that "if I died right now it's be OK, I've had enough joy for ten lifetimes" feeling.

However the bigger challenge is - are you all set to be at least minimally comfortable if you actually live another four or five decades?

For many living in Thailand makes that side of the equation harder.

please, please, please tell me you are not American. This would be a very sad post if you are.

Thailand for me is not unlike any other country I have lived and worked in. As I have posted here on this forum many times.....I wake up. go to work, pay the bills, kiss my wife and children, and enjoy working on our farm. So it could have been a number of other countries but just so happens it is Thailand.

As for the above post, sorry for your experience but it is much the same or even worse in many other countries I have lived and worked in. I can honestly say that living here in Thailand it is almost refreshing to experience all of the above items you have mentioned and everybody knowing it is happening. In some other countries you know it is happening but the governments try to conceal or whitewash it.

Rest assured, I am not American. Assuming I was, though, why would the post be sadder?

To each his own and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just that I have found little of interest in Thailand for myself. The Kingdom is not my first international post, but it is the worst (for me!). Having said that, I'm glad that you have found your own spot in the world here.

No country is corruption free - no doubt about that. However, I view shady political deals and pork barrel spending differently than having to bribe government officials or paying on-the-spot fines to police officers just to get through the day.

• Like 1

Believe me when I tell you that I drink by the bucket...

I came here because I had sex with a little girl with coffee coloured skin. She was the most beautiful thing I had seen in my life. I used to wake up early just so I could lie there and look at her face while she slept. Four years later she left me, without a trace, and with a broken heart. I am now with another little girl, her skin is a little less black, and hopefully her heart is a little less black as well.

And hopefully you are a little wiser good luck

Yes...Thailand is great!..I am 70 years old. I come to Chiang Mai from the US for a long break in 2010, and soon later to make it my home. I am married now with a wonderful Thai woman. I am writing a book about my life in Thailand for the last 3 years named "Resurrection"....Needs to say more?

I can certainly resonate with that, no time to write a book though, enjoying the ride too much.

I'm lucky in that after i retired, I lived in Spain as an expat full time since 2000 and my Thai wife now has an EU ID card, good for 5 years. We can come and go anywhere in Europe (except the UK of course but that's another story).

We had lots of hoops to jump through both in Thailand and Spain but well worth it.

We plan to chase the sun, half a year in LOS and the other half in Spain with visits to friends in Europe.

One of the best things for me is being a member of a huge family.

I come from a very tiny family so it is a super change.

Before coming to Thailand, I would say my life was on hold.

On finding the right Gal for me, I threw caution to the wind.

We have a house outside Bangkok, property in Spain and cash in the bank for a rainy day.

I am a couple of years older than you and feel that times a wasting if you spend too much time thinking.

Good luck with the book.

(If you need a proof reader, I volunteer)

post-155756-0-37084300-1392785753_thumb.

Edited by laislica

Mt wife(thai) and i decided to come to live here on a whim ,i have always been the sort who makes money then takes time off for a year or so ,when i was 60 our son went from junior school to a crap senior school so i said to the wife ,lets go and live in Thailand ,ok she said , 5 months later we had packed up sold up and were living in a hotel ,that was 8 years ago ,never looked back,our son is in uni ,we have a great lifestyle.

Is in uni in Thailand or did you leave him back home?

Believe me when I tell you that I drink by the bucket...

lol, I believe you.

Most people i know who were not delusional, including myself went through this stage(does include heavy drinking) it passes, trust me :)

I came for a holiday with my gf and thought it was ok. Came again as a single man and had a ball. Came back and eventually married the manager of a language school and moved to the UK. Saw a film called Venus about growing old and the next day resigned, then sold my property and moved here to open a business. The business did well but the marriage didn't.

Sold up and now work for a western company on a good salary but have not yet found the thing I guess most people search for, a soulmate.

But for all its faults I like living here. Being single is no hardship but finding the right person to share my life with is easily as difficult as in the West.

• Like 2

Good feel-good post laislica, makes a refreshing change every now & again.

For me, my first visit to Thailand was in the late 80's from Hong Kong, extremely short notice, and I travelled here with two work mates. For the next decade I was a frequent visitor, in full party mode, before moving here in 1997. Even my staying wasn't planned as the original intention was a 6 month timeout and then look for work. 6 months quickly turned into 6 years and the rest is history..........wink.png

I 'survived' Pattaya, still in party mode, (no regrets) for 2 years before moving up country where the wife & I have settled since. Actually looking at it, I have been here in a static location now for longer than any previous time period of my life. To answer your questions:

Now you are here, what have you found?

Thailand is certainly different from the western countries, but definately better than most of the eastern ones to live.

Did you let go of your previous life?

With the exception of remaining family, and an active bank account, their is nothing left for me in my home country, so yes, free and clear.

Do you hang on to the old stuff and wish that "here" will be better than "there"?

Thailand is what it is, a progressing country despite what is happening now with the protests, etc. It will prosper in it's own time, of that I have no doubts.

Do you have challenges that you overcame and made you stronger?

I have overcome challenges here, but I wouldn't regard them as unique to Thailand. I have always found that to be friendly and honest with those around you will always hold you in good stead. Perhaps it hasn't made me stronger, but it has shown me responsibility, which in itself, can only make a person stronger.

I was always a traveler and extremely thankful to the circumstances that I was fortunate enough to have. Now I feel settled; there comes a time in everyone's life where you need to slow down before burning out, I feel that time for me is now, and loving every minute of it.

Pretty much my experience as well. Nicely put. Like you, I was a traveller - couldn't settle anywhere, really, but enjoyed everywhere I went because I tried not to have any preconceived ideas about things. Being naturally curious, I always like to try new situations and try to get as much out of each one as I can. There are always negatives, but accentuating the positives makes life much more interesting in my opinion. That's why I have been able to stay here for so long. As whoisyourdaddy said, we all go through a negative phase, but in my case it wasn't a hate for Thailand per se, just personal situations that soon diminished in the course of time. As you say, Chris, there are challenges to overcome that are not peculiar to Thailand, but those that are need not be insurmountable if you approach them with the sense that they should not dominate your life to the exclusion of all else that make living here enjoyable. I admit to having spat the dummy a few times, but never to the extent that I developed a hatred that blinded me to the good things. The only time I gave real serious thought to leaving was about 12 years ago and concerned my daughter's education. But we ended up resolving that one, and now the pieces have fallen into place quite nicely (touch wood). One of laislica's questions is about letting go of your previous life. That's a very broad question and difficult to answer as the "previous life" might have involved a variety of situations, so adapting to this life here in Thailand is probably more pertinent. I haven't found it to be all that difficult.

• Like 2

I started coming to Thailand about 15 years ago and had a blast with my now ex-wife staying at the fancy Peninsula and Banyan Tree hotels, being catered to day and night with great restaurants, tours, excitement, etc. Decided out of the 60+ countries I have travel with having lived in 6 of them, that Phuket was to be my retirement location. Mentioned to the wife of 35 years which said she was against moving here, and we had been having marital problems for a several years, so we peacefully decided to go our own ways and are still good friends.

Moved to the LOS and Phuket about 6 years ago, which was a fun location for awhile, but also was a rude awaking trying to run my small business there with lots of corruption and mafia, so after 2 years in a somewhat disappointing Phuket, moved back to BKK 3 years ago and started a new company, which has been doing fairly but is now poised to take off and make some good money. I have my SS with my budget in control, so can live only from this source of income in Thailand the rest of my life.

After many beautiful ladies, recently found one who seems to be a true dream and having lots of sanuk together with no problems so far, and now talking about my getting remarried with this as her first marriage. Even discussing having a child, which would be my first one ever. There are always ups and downs regardless of where one lives, and as the saying "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" is partially true. However, I will never return to my home country, not even for a visit, since I feel Thailand is now my permanent home and final resting place.

Thinking about a move to my potentially future wife's home area in Ubon, and after some research, it seems to be a very nice area of the country in which to settle permanently, with a bit slower lifestyle than in BKK, and will not miss all the political farce going on in this city. Like a TV soap opera. Right now I would not change my life one bit and think we all can find our LOS but like many things, others do not provide it, we must discover it within our own hearts.

• Like 1

been a nomad since 1998. i expect nothing here and nothing there. the "way" (ie. mindset) i live here or there are the same. i have no responsibilities except for myself here and there. never had thai gf/wife, never had farang wife (plenty of gf, still now). cash is not an issue here nor there. i go with the flow. when happy here, i'm here, when fedup here (happens every 9 months or so) i leave. living the easy life, carpe diem, every single day, expecting nothing except for refreshing sleep :)

• Like 1

I came here at first as a passenger over than a decade ago, ... eventually found myself living years and years,, and becoming a father... and maybe a grand daddy in future.. who knows? hehehe

hey guys, what a nice to be living in Thailand accidently? no one planned for or even expected it..!!

here is the truly Amazing Thailand..! and I really found this very true, Amazing in all aspects,

Let's enjoy our accidently unplanned life journey in the Amazing Thailand, pray for peace, prosper to this mazing land and amazing people. :)

cheers.