Anyone have a Step by Step Guide to Marrying in Thailand?

kjhbigv

just did it yesterday - inside the government office is a translation desk, they did translate ours in 30min for THB 700/2pages (our previous translation from another office have been not correct, so we had to do it again after 3 hours waiting already) - in total we left after 5 hours with all documents for me and her (non Thai).

What location are you talking about...re the translation service desk? At the Esplanade Mall complex where MFA has a temporary office?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd add to the post above, also check with your local amphur offices beforehand. Because different offices seem to have different requirements that, depending on the place, can make getting married relatively easy or a major pain.

Some amphur offices are hospitable to mixed marriages, but others seem downright hostile. At least, that's the case in BKK where my soon to be wife have visited several different Amphur offices to check on their requirements.

This is a good point, it seems like different places are way easier than others.

For what it's worth I registered my marriage at the district office in Bang Kapi and the people there were very friendly and helpful.

Just as an aside on this issue, I should add:

As I understand it, when it comes to registering marriages, you and the to-be misses are free to register a marriage at any amphur or khet office that's willing to do so.

It's not only limited to the office where you or she may be living, or where she has her tabien ban. But as stated, it seems like some locations are more helpful for mixed marriages, while others are not. YMMV.

• 5 months later...

May be to late to ask on this thread but here is my question.

What do you do for tax return reporting. I am getting married in Thailand, and am from the US. My question is just what do you do for tax return reporting of the fact that I am now married. My new Thai wife will have neither a SS card or a Taxpayer Identification card. Long term I am going to apply for the Taxpayer Identification card until we get immigrated to the US and she can then get the SS card. But the question remains, just what do I do short term to legally file my US tax return next year while we are still living in Thailand?

Anyone from the US that has married in Thailand and is filing an annual tax return out there that can help me out on this?

Greatly appreciated

Another fool prepared to marry in Thai world.

You love her ...great , live with her and take care of her.

Full stop.

Read your OP ..."make an honest woman of her"

Geez are you blokes just silly or dills.

Another fool prepared to marry in Thai world.

You love her ...great , live with her and take care of her.

Full stop.

Read your OP ..."make an honest woman of her"

Geez are you blokes just silly or dills.

Wazup jack? Happy hour over or what?

Try Bangrak in BKK, they are very used to this situation.

And for those who place social stigma pretty low on the totem pole of life, there's always the Banglamong (Pattaya) amphur who are fast and friendly... like the women (used to be).

Seaside honeymoon anyone?

May be to late to ask on this thread but here is my question.

What do you do for tax return reporting. I am getting married in Thailand, and am from the US. My question is just what do you do for tax return reporting of the fact that I am now married. My new Thai wife will have neither a SS card or a Taxpayer Identification card. Long term I am going to apply for the Taxpayer Identification card until we get immigrated to the US and she can then get the SS card. But the question remains, just what do I do short term to legally file my US tax return next year while we are still living in Thailand?

Anyone from the US that has married in Thailand and is filing an annual tax return out there that can help me out on this?

This is a question that I think is worth more discussion. As a recently married soul, I'm kind of in the same situation, looking ahead to the next tax filing and trying to decide how best to handle it.

There is no one single answer. It depends on one's financial situation and the presence or lack of presence of employment by one's wife. And also, I suppose, some element of whether the couple ever expects to live long-term in the U.S., where eligibility for spousal SS could come into play.

I'll post some links on this later. But if I recall correctly, basically you have up to 3 choices for filing status: married filing jointly, married filing separately, or head of household, especially if children are present. If the wife has little or no income, then from what I've read, it may make sense to file jointly. But, if the wife has a high income, then it might be better to file separately, so the addition of her income doesn't potentially bump you into a higher tax bracket.

About the TIN for the wife, as best as I recall, if you decide to file married jointly, then you can request a TIN for the wife as part of that year's tax filing -- even if she doesn't already have one.

What's less clear to me if how someone here filing married jointly would report the Thai wife's income on one's U.S. taxes, as there are no Thai W-2s to document it. I've never seen anyone explain that here, perhaps because most married folks here have wives who either don't work or they aren't filing married jointly.

http://crevelingandcreveling.com/blog-list/157-american-expats-with-foreign-spouses-choosing-your-us-tax-filing-status.html

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7/ch01.html#d0e223

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/441630-getting-my-wife-a-itinindivisual-tax-identification-number/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 weeks later...