All smiles for Vanessa Mae despite violinist finishing LAST on Olympic skiing debut

webfact

I don't think she is even a Thai citizen. She can't speak Thai and grew up in the U.K. and got to the Olympics just because of her looks and tenuous connection to Thailand, it is really disrespectful that she was allowed to compete with real atheletes who have trained a better part of their lives to achieve this goal.

Whatever one's background, just to get in to the Olympics is a considerable feat isn't it?

Your description seems to fit other WELL KNOWN important "Thai" people in this country.

Far more important than this

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a mockery of the sport, the serious athletes, and the Olympics, not to mention dragging Thailand to be last.

People always using Thailand when they can't cut it in their own countries.

Absolute rubbish. She is qualified to represent Thailand, has trained for years to achieve this, did her best. There is no shame in coming last..in fact, it is a time-honoured tradition at the Olympics that the person coming last gets as much of a cheer from the crowd as the winner, celebrating the efforts in even getting that far. Well done, Vanessa Mae !!

Agree with you totally, I see some comments here about Xenophobia and Thailand being made a mockery, it's people like this who make a mockery of themselves with nothing better to do all day except whinge. Great to see the spirit of the Olympics is alive and well, well done Vanessa. Reminds me of that film Cool Runnings with the Jamaican Bob Sleigh team.

• Like 1

So, now that the promotion is over, what's she selling, a new album ? Or was she just trying to get next to Putin for a chance at the Empress seat ?

Maybe Yingluck should also have a go in 4 years.

Not sure if she can qualify.

I heard that Yaowapa and Sudarat are looking to form the first Thai Curling team.

So, now that the promotion is over, what's she selling, a new album ? Or was she just trying to get next to Putin for a chance at the Empress seat ?

I heard that Yaowapa and Sudarat are looking to form the first Thai Curling team.

I would love to see that. Anyone noticed how many hotties there are in womens curling?

From the Vancouver games: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/23/curling-cuties-15-irresis_n_473300.html

Edited by canman

I would love to see that. Anyone noticed how many hotties there are in womens curling?

From the Vancouver games: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/23/curling-cuties-15-irresis_n_473300.html

Me too. But on what channel can you actually watch the Winter Olympics?

Making a mockery of the sport, the serious athletes, and the Olympics, not to mention dragging Thailand to be last.

Absolute rubbish. She is qualified to represent Thailand, has trained for years to achieve this, did her best. There is no shame in coming last..in fact, it is a time-honoured tradition at the Olympics that the person coming last gets as much of a cheer from the crowd as the winner, celebrating the efforts in even getting that far. Well done, Vanessa Mae !!

Agree with you totally, I see some comments here about Xenophobia and Thailand being made a mockery, it's people like this who make a mockery of themselves with nothing better to do all day except whinge. Great to see the spirit of the Olympics is alive and well, well done Vanessa. Reminds me of that film Cool Runnings with the Jamaican Bob Sleigh team.

I think there is room for both. Thais are absolutely xenophobic and yes she deserves a metal.

I would concur that VM has never really emphasized her Thai background/ethnicity. But, clearly, she was eligible to compete for Thailand, and congratulations to her for doing so.

As for the nationality issue, it's obviously a somewhat flexible thing when it comes to the Olympics, and not just with Mae.

From watching the broadcasts this month, I'm pretty sure one of the main American male figure skaters was born in Russia and then his family emigrated to the U.S. when he was very young. Likewise, I remember seeing similar circumstances about a couple of other Olympic athletes this year. And I didn't hear anyone complaining about those athletes.

Bronze Medalist Simon Shnapir

United States

• Nationality: United States
  • Birthday: 20 August 1987
  • Height: 1.93 m (6' 4'')
  • Weight: -
  • Place of Birth: Russian Fed., MOSCOW
  • Place of Residence: -

Here's a photo essay, meanwhile, of U.S. athletes who, thru a variety of means, are competing for other nation's teams this year:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/photos/american-athletes-competing-for-other-countries-in-sochi-1392070841-slideshow/vic-wild-russaia-speeds-down-photo-160156210--spt.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Maybe, she could qualify for rice skating.

• Like 1

I would concur that VM has never really emphasized her Thai background/ethnicity. But, clearly, she was eligible to compete for Thailand, and congratulations to her for doing so.

As for the nationality issue, it's obviously a somewhat flexible thing when it comes to the Olympics, and not just with Mae.

From watching the broadcasts this month, I'm pretty sure one of the main American male figure skaters was born in Russia or the Soviet Union and then his family emigrated to the U.S. when he was very young. Likewise, I remember seeing about a skier for, I believe, the Switzerland team who was born in Russia, and something similar involving a speed skater on the Korean team. And I didn't hear anyone complaining about those athletes.

Emigrating to your new adopted country and representing it seems justified. Borrowing your father's country with no intent of moving to or having anything to do with it afterwards sounds sleazy. Who knows, maybe she'll move afterwards. Btw, was there any mention of the king or holding up his picture anywhere? Just wondering.

• Like 2

She's trained for six months, and she wasn't interested in doing it when they told her she'd have to give up her British passport.

She's a joke and shouldn't be there.

• Like 1

And some us are enjoying a good life here in Thailand because we could. smile.png

Cheers!

• Like 1

No "Connections" involved - she does not know the people nor the politics here (lucky her!). She qualified fair and square based on her performance.

No other Thai met the qualifying criteria.

She's "passionate" about, and has been, skiing for years. If you're interested, this is an interesting article which details her background.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042593/The-heart-breaking-moment-I-realised-mother-cut-forever-violin-virtuoso-Vanessa-Mae.html

No other Thai met the qualifying criteria because none bothered to try. If a granny from papuasa new guinea had finished a few FIS slaloms on wooden skis, she would have gone to the olympics too. Not really fair and square for normal athletes.

She has been training full time on the snow since 2010, so this is not exactly something that occurred 6 months ago as is implied (makes a better news angle); however she realistically knew what she had to do to qualify (compete at a national level - in Slovakia I think from memory and several other countries) over the last 12 months (mostly the last 6 as that's the nature of a winter sport since I don't think she went to race in NZ/Australia/Chile). She has skied most of her life. to qualify, she needs to achieve a certain FIS standing over the last 2 years, and there is slight favouritism for countries with very few athletes as well as no restrictions on choosing only the best athletes to go, meaning she achieved the standard AND she benefitted that Thailand has so few athletes so she was not chosen to go ahead of someone else (this would not happen if say she was in USA where there are many athletes above the standard required to qualify, but a restriction on how many are allowed to go to Sochi).

Not really. She also finished last in all of the qualifying races she participated in. Even against a bunch of teenagers in a small country's national junior championship, she lost dozens of seconds on short races. She only qualified because of some loophole in the ruling. Performance didn't matter, she only needed to get the funds to race a few slaloms and to cross the line, regardless of her time. To say there is a slight favouritism for some countries is quite an understatement.

There is a limit in the total number of athletes participating in the olympics, so she did take the place of a real athlete, unfortunately for him or her.

IMO this is a bit pathetic. If I had a Tuvalu passport, and I had enough money to get me in the olympics for the 100m event thanks to favourable rulings, would I want to race next to Usain Bolt, even if I could only run the 100m in 13s? No way, I wouldn't want to embarrass myself and my country in front of cameras from all over the world.

• Like 1

The article I read quoted her as saying that she just started training the last six months for the Olympics. Seems to me just another case of Thai rich girl getting more thrills.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1