Chaeng Wattana Road: Vehicles spiked by caltrops near Govt Office

webfact

Vehicles Spiked By Caltrops Near Govt Office

By Khaosod English

13927887871392788824l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Commuters on Chaeng Wattana Road have complained of mysterious caltrops laid on the road by unidentified individuals.

The small sharpened spikes were spread over a stretch of nearly 500 metres of the road near Muang Thong Thani Intersection - close to the entrance to the Office of Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defence where caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her Cabinet are using as temporary office.

Many vehicles are reportedly damaged by the caltrops, causing heavy traffic jam in the area. Military officers later removed the caltrops. It is not clear how many spikes were laid on the road.

Witnesses said unidentified individuals arrived on motorcycle in the early morning and planted the caltrops in the area before fleeing the scene.

Hours later the protesters led by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) marched to the Office of Permanent Secretary to rally against the Prime Minister.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qYzRPRGM0Tnc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-19

Jeez in the west the police use to use spike traps, loaded onto emergible and retractable strips, thrown under approaching unsafe cars, and retracted before the normal driver by.

Now the West goes into high frequency 'safe stop', which messes up the ECUs and shuts the engines down.

What we got here? bent nailscheesy.gif . (Well, no bent nails with the PM so far, wait until 28th for that)

I hope the police were not unkind enough to puncture the tyres on the little old lady protesor's wheel-chairs, when on their way to make merit.

Edit: mentioning police investment, it's about Chalerm woke up, as the head of police, and invested a few more baht in police protection. The poor officer yesterday, who had his leg blown off trying to kick away a grenade, was standing behind a metal tray thinner than my grandma served Uncle Joe's Mint balls on.

Edited by Why ask
  • Like 2

i live 3 km away from the bloody clash area yesterday and hearing gun shots everyday echoing to my house!

roads are dangerous nowadays in Bangkok at some areas for sure and my bike is bright red and i wear a bright red helmet too so whenever i pass from yellow shirt protests areas/camps, they stare at me a lot and not in a nice way until they realize i am a farang.

So, i dont pass near their camps often nowadays!

Isn't this the road the farmers were going to be driving up in their 150 farm vehicles? They were protesting against the regime of the unelected, accused mass murdered, accused terrorist, convicted criminal fugitive.

This is typical of a regime that doesn't like to hear the voice of the people unless it is voting for them.

• Like 2

Jeez in the west the police use to use spike traps, loaded onto emergible and retractable strips, thrown under approaching unsafe cars, and retracted before the normal driver by.

Now the West goes into high frequency 'safe stop', which messes up the ECUs and shuts the engines down.

What we got here? bent nailscheesy.gif . (Well, no bent nails with the PM so far, wait until 28th for that)

I hope the police were not unkind enough to puncture the tyres on the little old lady protesor's wheel-chairs, when on their way to make merit.

Edit: mentioning police investment, it's about Chalerm woke up, as the head of police, and invested a few more baht in police protection. The poor officer yesterday, who had his leg blown off trying to kick away a grenade, was standing behind a metal tray thinner than my grandma served Uncle Joe's Mint balls on.

Who said the police were responsible for those spikes? Apart from you.

Thank you djjamie for your clarification

"This is typical of a regime that doesn't like to hear the voice of the people...."

Silly me, as a newbie, I thought it was the other side that didn't like to hear the voice of the people and therefore sabotaged the recent elections.

I was even beginning to feel sorry for them. It's not nice losing 5 elections in a row and being able to come to power only through undemocratic means....

especially when you call yourself the Democratic Party!

These, pictured, are not the real thing they are bent nails.

The real ones have a spike on either end and are made for a specific fastening purpose.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to bend the nails so they can be used to cause punctures.

Who said the police were responsible for those spikes? Apart from you.

Read again! I said "I hope the police......................................"

Did I say anybody was responsible?

Your assumption of what I said is clearly incorrect!

The real ones have a spike on either end and are made for a specific fastening purpose.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to bend the nails so they can be used to cause punctures.

They have a full time team of chippies banging nails into Thaksin's coffin man!!

In typical fashion the 3,000B a pound nails were repaced with 25B a pound ones - and this is the outcome.

yes, these are the "good people" and "peaceful protesters" we keep hearing about. Problem is, when they don't get their own way, they turn very, very ugly. Find them and throw them in jail for 10 years.

How do you know they weren't placed to stop tanks coming in, by the man himself? I mean, come on, he's that clever... he nail a short or two!

Tanks? Stopped by a few bent nails? Get real, this is Planet Earth! cheesy.gif

Quite - this is a caltrop with hollow spikes to let air out of tyres. Those pictured elsewhere were just bent nails that MIGHT have worked ...

post-12849-0-90727800-1392800458_thumb.j

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 2

yes, these are the "good people" and "peaceful protesters" we keep hearing about. Problem is, when they don't get their own way, they turn very, very ugly. Find them and throw them in jail for 10 years.

Don't be so silly.

These are clearly the nails from Thaksin's coffin

what.... bent like the bar steward inside the coffin??

To call it terrorism is an over reaction. Annoying, destructive, vandalism yes.

It's clearly a hasty action by people with limited access to tools and critical analysis, and the chance of bent nails having any effect at all is very small.

Decent DIY caltrops can be knocked together quickly enough with rebar and a grinder, possibly strengthened with a spot of welding. This is a poor attempt buy very amateur amateurs.

give me a break....it's highly likely these were laid to stop protesters going to the defence department. I drove by there 6.30 that morning police and army everywhere. Fortunately I don't use that road, and the fools that dropped the nails only managed to puncture the tires of innocent employees and others on their way to work. There were thousands of protesters there today. It never stopped anyone.

A caltrop is a war tools. Two interlocked spikes where one end is always pointed up no matter which way the caltrop falls. They were used by Romans to stop elephants, animals and foot soldiers attempting to attack the Romas. The Russian caltrop looks like four fish hooks interlocked. It would seem certain that laying caltrops over a 500 meter stretch of road in a heavily trafficked area is an act of war in Thailand.