ThaiVisa is no fun anymore - full of trolls, whackos, haters and MOGs

simon43

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the details about managing ignore lists/settings. I have to say that this function is not very user-friendly.

If I am reading threads and there is a post from a nut-job, I would like to be able to right-click on their user name and click on 'ignore'. That would be a fast and simple way to add members to my ignore list, (which BTW, only has 2 members on it so far).

Surely there must be a one-click way to ignore users?

Simon

• Like 2

Here's a suggestion:

(Imagine that there is a picture of an ostrich here with its head buried in the sand.

I've given up trying to actually show the picture.

I keep getting this message: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

I have tried extensions of JPG (JPEG) and GIF. Those are the most common picture formats used in the world. If they are not allowed here, what the *#% is?)

I am only joking about my suggest of burying your head in the sand. I don't know exactly what this forum was like 10 years ago, but I know what you mean about it being unpleasant now. That is apparent really quickly.

But perhaps that is more a result of a changing world rather than a changing forum. There has been a lot of heavy-duty bad crap going down in the past decade, both here and globally, so maybe we are seeing a souring of people's attitudes and their worries or frustrations being displayed through less compassionate posts.

Edited by Brevity

I bother because there are still some forums such as motorbiking, food, jokes etc that are worth reading but there is so much other junk in the way they are hard to find.

+1.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see a tipping point soon where nobody but the trolls and bullies bother...

I hope I'm wrong. Often am.

+2

Hope that tipping point hasn't already arrived....I sure miss the humour on Friday nights and Saturday morning.

Noticed also the long term posters rarely comment now....Is that because of what we are reading lately?

Seen a Topic from Krisb, about tuk tuks etc, and not one crappy reply....what a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

I must admit, one of the worst threads that I've read was one the one about the Burmese worker's finger, now that was a troll's effort.

However, I will agree about the forum quality. if you look at Thialand forums in general, you will notice that more than a few of them are on their last legs.

Thaivisa appears to be holding its own, even though a lot of its traffic has been taken by Facebook and Twitter.

Edited by somchaismith

Simon is correct, the trolls are a major problem on this forum, what to do about them, unsure, my ignore list was way too long at one point, they seem to come out of the woodwork. Only solution I can see is to report them but that doesn't always work, sad.

• Like 1

Simon is correct, the trolls are a major problem on this forum, what to do about them, unsure, my ignore list was way too long at one point, they seem to come out of the woodwork. Only solution I can see is to report them but that doesn't always work, sad.

One of my favorite (fishing) forums implemented a handy solution.

Fishing. How can a fishing thread turn into a troll vs bully war? Ah, but I digress.

Once a thread was hijacked by the trolls and bullies, they'd leave all the useful posts in the appropriate forum location, delete just the garbage, close the thread and include a link to the new location. Then they'd replicate the whole thread (guts, feathers and all) to "The Jungle", which was their equivalent of TV's "Bedlam".

If anyone was really interested, the thread was still open and the participants could continue thrashing each other to their hearts' content- leaving the innocent bystanders unaware that there was even a flame war going on, (often with more hits than it would have had if they left it where polite language was required).

Anyone looking for the useful information from the original thread could easily find it without wading through a few dozen unintelligible posts calling each other stupid-heads. If I recall, results from "The Jungle" were not included in the search function, but I may be wrong.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

The forum was originally just a fun place to air views and get help on a wide range of Thailand related issues.

Now it has a different focus as its number one concern.

That's all that has changed really.

Maybe what has also changed is that some of the longer term members don't feel as important as they maybe used to feel years ago, maybe they were part of a clique that has been long gone....Maybe...

I'll say that Thai Visa over the last couple of years has become more news and politics than anything else...

At the end of the day if trolls are causing problems or people are flaming or bullying then the report the post function is available to anyone who feels the need to use it, then just let the mods or admin deal with it how they see fit....

I wouldnt start a thread/topic to whine about it, if you find a thread/topic that don't float your boat and you find some of the posts offensive then just move on to a thread that interests you more.....Last comment aimed at SIMON and others just like him..Just use the report function if your offended in any way..

Edited by MB1

Just see the below. Top right corner of any page you are on.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Oh, for a 1-click procedure suggested by the OP. As it stands now, about a 20-click procedure, depending on the length of the member's names.

Suggestion: One should be able to click the avatar, the screen goes to the profile, and then a 1-click "ignore" icon should be available.

We CAN post our dreams here, right?

• Like 2

I've given up trying to actually show the picture.

I keep getting this message: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

I have tried extensions of JPG (JPEG) and GIF. Those are the most common picture formats used in the world. If they are not allowed here, what the *#% is?)

This depends on the SOURCE website - if the original URL of the image you want to embed ends with a supported extension, no problem.

Some website specifically designed for image-sharing try to "block" such direct linking by using dynamic code that displays a URL that isn't a direct link to the file.

SOME of these will work if you just manually add a ".JPG" to the end of the URL, but some won't (ebay for example).

Note Google' image search facility lets you "see all sizes" of a given image and you can usually find an alternative source.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1