ThaiVisa is no fun anymore - full of trolls, whackos, haters and MOGs

simon43

Simon the press give the politicians nick names in Thailand ...

I believe you will find that when a Thai newspaper uses a nick name for a Thai politician, it is the nick name that this person is using for himself or herself. Whether the incumbent prime minister calls herself Pu, I do not know, but I know another woman, the president of a Thai company, who call herself that and signs her emails with it. Others have nick names like Uan (she is slim), Lek (she is big), Noi (she is of normal size), etc.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you will find that when a Thai newspaper uses a nick name for a Thai politician, it is the nick name that this person is using for himself or herself. Whether the incumbent prime minister calls herself Pu, I do not know, but I know another woman, the president of a Thai company, who call herself that and signs her emails with it. Others have nick names like Uan (she is slim), Lek (she is big), Noi (she is of normal size), etc.

Uan (she is slim), Lek (she is big), Noi (she is of normal size), etc.

Time to dig up that Thai- English dictionary again, I guess

Happily for me, having familiarised myself with the ignore function, I am rapidly adding those many members to my ignore list - I am quite happy if they reciprocate smile.png

Simon

You will soon discover that this does not protect your eyes completely from posts written by the ignored members, as they will still appear on your screen when they are quoted in a reply. Start training your eyes not to read the quoted text, for additional protection.

There was an interesting topic on this some months ago. Usually, these nick names are given by the parents to their children and are intended to fool evil spirits. Nothing to do with ignorance of the meaning of the words. Call your child Crab and the evil spirit can bedevil all the crabs you have in the refrigerator but will leave your child alone. Or, as reportedly has happened, call your baby Apple and tell your maid to put the Apples in the refrigerator when you go out for dinner, and when you return home you will find your child dead from hypothermia in your fridge.

Whereas drivel is typically spouted by many of the younger brigade.

Sorry to have to tell you this Changmai but in my experience of time spent in Thailand in well over ten years, the most drivel I have heard over the years in Thailand has been spouted by the I know it all grumpy old man brigade.....

"here sonny pull up a sandbag and let me tell you a story"

bah.gif

When I was a young man it was " pull up a sandbag, swing that lamp, buy me a beer you moonie, and I will tell you a story about how I got my knees brown in the desert" but that was a long time ago when I was young and the world was still officially flat.

Followed by

When a man grows old

and his bones grow cold

and the tip of his di*k turns blue

and it bends in the middle

like a one string fiddle

He can tell you a tale or two

So I'll sit me down

and you buy me a drink

and a tale to you I'll tell

of.............................................................

There was an interesting topic on this some months ago. Usually, these nick names are given by the parents to their children and are intended to fool evil spirits. Nothing to do with ignorance of the meaning of the words. Call your child Crab and the evil spirit can bedevil all the crabs you have in the refrigerator but will leave your child alone. Or, as reportedly has happened, call your baby Apple and tell your maid to put the Apples in the refrigerator when you go out for dinner, and when you return home you will find your child dead from hypothermia in your fridge.

Uan = Fat

Lek = small

Noi = bit, as in Nit Noi = little bit

"Yingluck the puppet" seems to be a common phrase used with reference to a politician, I'd say thats a nickname adopted by certain people and used in the press, I don't think she uses or chose that nick name herself....

Infact the Nation has published news storys and then Thai Visa has then posted the storys on Thai visa, I did a quick search with the search function and used the words "Yingluck the Puppet" the below link was one story that came up..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682910-yinglucks-lack-of-leadership-blamed-for-political-crisis/

Quite clearly to me the story more than once refers to Yingluck as a Puppet and I for one when in conversation about her refer to her as " puppet" as I'm sure many others do..

My point here Maestro is that the press are to blame as well for nicks given to people and not as Simon says,just the trolls and childish people of Thai Visa

Edited by MB1

My point here Maestro is that the press are to blame as well for nicks given to people and not as Simon says,just the trolls and childish people of Thai Visa

There are nicks and there are abusive, spiteful and immature nicks - the latter are thought up by some ThaiVisa members.

In any case, having added a large number of these idiots to my ignore list, I am finally able to read reasonably intelligent comment in the news section.

Edited by simon43

Not to go off topic, but I wonder what my mother in law was trying to ward off when she named her son Kai Daeg. Red balls. blink.png

Here's an example of the high standards of political debate on TV from the thread on paying the farmers - not quite BBC Hardtalk is it. (Reported to the Mods so may be deleted soon).

Quote:

"And you live in cloud cuckoo land."

"cloud cuckoo land is bright yellow. you probably mistake me for one of your neighbours"

"I know an idiot when I read his comments!"

"life must be tough for you, living in cuckoo land sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png"

"you sad little person."

Simple as that! It used to be fun in the early days 10 years ago - it was rare to see spiteful posts.

Funny that Simon, when I arrived some 8 years ago, I was repeatedly told by those of greater joined status, how great the 'Flame Wars' of yesteryear were.

• Like 1

Having started to add whackos and trolls to my ignore list, some topical threads under Thailand News consist of completely blank pages, since every poster on that thread is on my ignore list....

But at least I'm not missing useful information or intelligent discussion :)

• Like 1

I have found the site is much better with the trolls on ignore. But there needs to be an easier way to do it. Its not just the trolls, its the people that are just genuinely stupid or boring, and theres a lot of them, nothing against them posting but life is too short to read what they have to say. Better just with the opening post and a few interesting comments.

Also I would prefer the site unmoderated unless its for legal reasons. Its easier to pick the morons if their posts are left. I have also put most moderators on ignore because I dont have time to follow their progress.

Its a wonder there aint rules against that....cheesy.gif

I have guessed that many members weren't exactly socially adept in their home countries. Sometimes I think a poster is under the influence of an intoxicant.

Whatever it is, it isn't unusual to have someone quote me with very rude and uncalled for comments.

I belong to the largest Harley Davidson forum out there, and you'd think those guys would be tough and rude but it isn't the case. They are far more polite than many on this forum. And yes, they have a political section and an off-topic section and they don't get out of control.

It would be nice to be able to read the News section topics and the replies. How people think, feel and provide additional information of the events. It's quite impossible as there are way too many competitors in the "the great battle of the morons" competition. Many of these participants are "new" members with a low post count, possibly older members who have created secondary account to push their agendas.

If the forum platform allows, then one solution to reclaim the news section for old timers, could be following:

For selected forums, old members (based on time or post count), could opt in for "Do not show posts from members who has less than 50 posts or have been member less than 1 month" or similar filter. This way we would not have to read the troll posts as the trolling accounts would likely be closed before they hit the limits.

Another solution to battle against trolls, would increase the community feeling. When the members feel more like home, they are more likely to protect the forum against the trolls (and click the report button, when needed).

Humor is one of the best ways to do so. Every now and then there are topics and replies which make me giggle like a little girl (practically: Beer can placed on my overgrown stomach get a shakedown).

Thaivisa could follow the steps of great tech companies, which allows their workers to use 20% of their time for what ever they wish to do. To put this n TV forum terms, let there be a day in a week (Friday of course) when forum rules are more relaxed when it comes to the topics and discussions. This should happen in local forums as those are the breeding grounds of debaters, before members move to the see the big bad world of News section and General topics.

If everything else fails. Trolls can be hit with the facts.

140214_CDESK_MachiavellianTraits.jpg.CRO

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

I've always imagined some way to do a phone verification (local thai number only) of a member which would grant them additional forum privileges. Maybe repeat the verification every 3,6,12 months to keep the credential and you could even get additional seniority if it matches the same number as the last verification. It is very easy to implement automated phone verification for cell or landlines; I think Telesign is a pioneer in this field; I'm sure the advertising would already cover the fees. Heck, I'd be willing to pay 50-100 baht or so (one time) to help cover the verification cost if it means enhancing my profile and cutting down on some of the blatant crap here. I think it would also cut the moderation time down considerably.

There would be special situations where a number changes....that is case-by-case as numbers do not change that often for seasoned expats. It is the anonymity of forum registration + large web traffic (attention) that is such a breeding ground for trolls; not just thaivisa.