Dishonest Unethical Lawyer

Phoenix1312

I hope someone can give me some much needed help.

I hired a lawyer last year to assist me with issues with my ex husband. She charged me 90000 baht to represent me and assist with the issues I was having. She also wanted to charge me $10.000 AUD to put him in jail. I felt this was very expensive and I really didn't want to incarcerate him in a Thai jail.

She never did anything for me and took my money.

She is now representing him against me. Is this legal and can I report her for unethical practices. If I can who do I report her too. I know this is Thailand but surely lawyers can't do this.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

Why don't you explain your story a little more.

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

Why don't you explain your story a little more.

My husband cheated me out of our business when he met a Thai woman. He illegally deregistered me off our business and forged my signature. He is now trying to take the apartment that I bought before I married him. It is not in his name it's in mine. I paid for it as well. He says he can take everything from me because that's Thailand.

Phuket has got some international law firms, yet I do not know who "trustworthy" they really are. It is ingrained in these people to be corrupt.

Surely it's not legal. Maybe no one takes a stand

Call the AFP.

As for chasing him down in Thailand your going to need friends and money.

Sorry your husbands a d...

• Like 2

Things would be easier if you were here to shop around for a lawyer. Regarding your husband, who knows he might get done by his new love, happens often enough, sounds like he deserves it too.

Send me pm, I'll answer it later this afternoon.

There are many sound Lawyers in Phuket.

I believe it would help if the issues were objectively listed (with supporting evidence).

Once such a list exists legal opinion(s) could be sought.

The Legal profession in Thailand is regulated by the Lawyers Council . Complaints should be so addressed.

Edited by olddoc

My husband cheated me out of our business when he met a Thai woman. He illegally deregistered me off our business and forged my signature. He is now trying to take the apartment that I bought before I married him. It is not in his name it's in mine. I paid for it as well. He says he can take everything from me because that's Thailand.

Was it just you and your husband who owns the business? No Thai nominee? You guys met and got married in Thailand? Are you guys still married? How can he possibly go after your condo if it's in your name?

Your lawyer did something clearly unethical, if not downright criminal. You'd have grounds to sue her for malpractice. And if your husband forged your signature, he can and should be criminally prosecuted. But you can't do anything from overseas, you really need to be in Thailand. Surely, as a business owner, you must know some Thai folks who can recommend a good lawyer. There's plenty of them around, decent, ethical ones.

Was it just you and your husband who owns the business? No Thai nominee? You guys met and got married in Thailand? Are you guys still married? How can he possibly go after your condo if it's in your name?

Your lawyer did something clearly unethical, if not downright criminal. You'd have grounds to sue her for malpractice. And if your husband forged your signature, he can and should be criminally prosecuted. But you can't do anything from overseas, you really need to be in Thailand. Surely, as a business owner, you must know some Thai folks who can recommend a good lawyer. There's plenty of them around, decent, ethical ones.

It was our business with an unknown Thai nominee. I think his girlfriend is now the nominee. I had no idea he took me off the registration. This lawyer was supposed to help me with what he did but after being paid she did nothing.

We met and got married in Australia and moved to Phuket together to live the dream. He found her after 4 months.

I do have friends over there but I need to report her as she is now representing him.

He still claims he can take the apartment even though it is wholly in my name. He can't can he?

It was our business with an unknown Thai nominee. I think his girlfriend is now the nominee. I had no idea he took me off the registration. This lawyer was supposed to help me with what he did but after being paid she did nothing.

We met and got married in Australia and moved to Phuket together to live the dream. He found her after 4 months.

I do have friends over there but I need to report her as she is now representing him.

He still claims he can take the apartment even though it is wholly in my name. He can't can he?

yes we are still married. He won't sign the divorce papers even though we have been separated for 1 1\2 years. I am in the process of doing it now

Phuket has got some international law firms, yet I do not know who "trustworthy" they really are. It is ingrained in these people to be corrupt.

Surely it's not legal. Maybe no one takes a stand

Call the AFP.

As for chasing him down in Thailand your going to need friends and money.

Sorry your husbands a d...

I do have friends and money.

"It was our business with an unknown Thai nominee"

Interesting and may of itself be illegal.

Did you both have work permits and how many Thai employees did / does the business have ?

As has been noted little if anything can be achieved from Australia.

Maybe returning to Phuket , living in your apartment and seeking the assistance of knowledgeable Thai friends would be the way to go ?

If the lawyer is no longer representing you she is free to accept any client she wishes.

What do you believe this lawyer is attempting to achieve on behalf of your husband ?

Edited by olddoc

OP: Sorry to hear of your woes. The practices below have good reputations. Suggest you contact the Partner responsible for dispute resolution. It may be worth your while to have one of them to get a member of legal staff to review your issues and have them outline a strategy on how to address the legal issues, indicative timelines and fees; they will not be inexpensive. Alternatively possibly they have an association with a Phuket based practice they can recommend?

Only an assumption, but if it went to Court, I would guess it would be difficult to get enforcement in a reasonable amount of time as ex would just appeal to get more time or possibly move elsewhere. Could always ask that bail is not offered as a flight risk...

http://www.tilleke.com/

http://www.bakermckenzie.com/Thailand/

It may be useful to contact AFP if husband has busines dealings in Oz, doubt they could assist for financial crime/fraud comitted in Thailand, but at least he would be on their radar if his name popped up in the future.

• Like 2

OP: Sorry to hear of your woes. The practices below have good reputations. Suggest you contact the Partner responsible for dispute resolution. It may be worth your while to have one of them to get a member of legal staff to review your issues and have them outline a strategy on how to address the legal issues, indicative timelines and fees; they will not be inexpensive. Alternatively possibly they have an association with a Phuket based practice they can recommend?

Only an assumption, but if it went to Court, I would guess it would be difficult to get enforcement in a reasonable amount of time as ex would just appeal to get more time or possibly move elsewhere. Could always ask that bail is not offered as a flight risk...

http://www.tilleke.com/

http://www.bakermckenzie.com/Thailand/

It may be useful to contact AFP if husband has busines dealings in Oz, doubt they could assist for financial crime/fraud comitted in Thailand, but at least he would be on their radar if his name popped up in the future.

Thank you for your advise. I am very grateful.

If this is really worth it to you, you will have to come back - occupy the apartment/condo and get a reputable (probably Bangkok) lawyer/law firm. May actually be better for you dealing with things here if you are NOT yet divorced.

Problem is that I have to work. Divorce is in process. I do take your advise and will return for a while to fight this.

Thank you for your advise

CHEATED....you state that the lawyer YOU hired ..."She is now representing him against me. Is this legal and can I report her for unethical practices"

It is unethical ....its a conflict of interest (at least in the US). But this is Thailand and ethics? .....well some Thai's cannot be counted on to be ethical ....Key for you now is to find a good lawyer who will REALLY represent YOU.

Good luck on that!

• Like 1

Does he have any assets or income in Australia? If he does, you could take him to the cleaners there.

• Like 2