Dishonest Unethical Lawyer

Phoenix1312

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

Milking farangs for their money...is a national pastime and disgrace...goes on at all levels of commerce and business transactions...sorry you have become victim...do you still think Thailand is wonderful?

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you mention that you got married in Aus? If so and you are separated for over a year your divorce is a cinch.

Come here, take possession of your apt. There is no way he can get it from you. Just keep evidence that you bought it before marriage.

Sorry for your woes, but 9 out of 10 it is the other way around.

Anyway, when you find a honest, ethical lawyer that would be something to write about.

Hope you have proof (evidence) that this lawyer took instructions and money from you with purpose to act on your behalf against you hubby. Than it is illegal. In any country.

Edited by ABCer

Sounds to me that your Thai Lawyer was in on the scam & is probably involved in setting up the new company.

Some Thais in official positions always think they are above the Law and there actions will never be found out, my experience with the Thai Judiciary is that they come down hard on such people.

Take others advice and come to Thailand, find a good Lawyer, lodge papers in court to have your case heard. Once the perpetrators in your case get the papers from the court they will settle out of court.

If you never discharged the Lawyer from your service and you can prove she was acting for you, then she is in big trouble for swapping sides & could be disciplined or disbarred. Once again the Thai Judges are hard on these types.

If as I suspect it was all a scam, then they will be found out in court and suffer greatly.

Last thought is to make contact with some of the staff, they will know everything, a good Thai Lawyer will collect all the evidence needed to bring the scam to light.

Good luck & put your faith in a good Lawyer & the Thai Courts.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is a violation of the ethical code for a lawyer to represent one litigant and to then represent the other litigant in the same dispute.

This can render the case deficient and vacate any rulings entered.

I suggest you retain counsel and file a complaint with the national bar.

There are many sound Lawyers in Phuket.

I believe it would help if the issues were objectively listed (with supporting evidence).

Once such a list exists legal opinion(s) could be sought.

The Legal profession in Thailand is regulated by the Lawyers Council . Complaints should be so addressed.

Best of luck making a complaint to that organisation. From my experience there are three types of Thai lawyers. 1/ corrupt Thai lawyers. 2/ incompetent Thai lawyers 3/ Thai lawyers who are both corrupt and incompetent.

• Like 1

I wonder if this law office is on the way to Phuket a Town on the road from the airport into Phuket Town?

If you have a dispute in a Phuket do not trust ANYONE. Many police and lawyers Work together and are very happy to take a bribe. Even without that you will find many Phuket lawyers help each other, in the extreme, and will work against you whether you are a paying customer or not. You would not believe what I could tell you! These are fearless of breaching morals either professional ones which should be higher than ordinary ones or human ones.

You need to find a lawyer outside Phuket. People have suggested a few law firms here - don't use any in Phuket - the International firms employ Thai lawyers and the above comment goes.

If you have a condo in your name then contact every bank here and tell them the property is yours and that in the event of any attempted sale you will hold them liable if they lend on the property. This is necessary because if they do manage to defraud you then the first thing they will do is try to borrow on the property. Why? Because you then have the bank against you too and the law gives them unfavorable protection. At least you will have put them on notice. I would also advise writing a recorded delivery letter to the land office along similar lines. It may not be of much help but every little helps.

If you try the Lawyers council you will find the representative in Phuket will not be able to help much. I would love to explain why but he is powerful and the defamation laws are powerful here. In any case most of the lawyers at the Lawyers Council in Bangkok are not of the quality you need, though you may get a little advice. Don't hold your breath on them helping you taking on one of the 'club'.

Lawyers there do have ethics - ethics not to sue each other or represent any foreigner trying to expose the corruption which is absolutely riddling the whole of the system in Phuket. Many Phuket Lawyers seem to have no ethics to foreign clients at all - these will gang up against you.

Through the courts in Phuket which are very overworked, on the whole, the lawyers defending will use every trick they can to delay and adjourn - yes against their ethics but no one will help about that. It will take you four years to get a first judgement. If you are outside phuket it will be terribly expensive to keep going to court, and as plaintiff you will have given though the other side will repeatedly not turn up. That is just the system.

Bear in mind that your lawyer will very likely be offered bribes and castigated for helping you because you are a foreigner though you might be more fortunate in they regard since your husband is too. Sort of cancels out - maybe

The best advice here is to sell the place and take your cash as soon as possible by which I mean in a few months.

Do not trust anyone.

I do have a good lawyer but expensive and travel cost make it prohibitive. At least he does not appear to be corrupt and I am many years with him. Maybe find someone in Krabi?

I am not saying every single lawyer is corrupt but many many are and the problem is you just do not know which is which or who knows who, who learnt under who, who has friends who know who.

It is a terrible inditement of the system and just my experience.

Do not trust anyone. Try and avoid the court if you can unless you can pin a criminal case on him which would result in his deportation - that would put the fear up him.

Edited by timewilltell

My husband cheated me out of our business when he met a Thai woman. He illegally deregistered me off our business and forged my signature. He is now trying to take the apartment that I bought before I married him. It is not in his name it's in mine. I paid for it as well. He says he can take everything from me because that's Thailand.

Was it just you and your husband who owns the business? No Thai nominee? You guys met and got married in Thailand? Are you guys still married? How can he possibly go after your condo if it's in your name?

Your lawyer did something clearly unethical, if not downright criminal. You'd have grounds to sue her for malpractice. And if your husband forged your signature, he can and should be criminally prosecuted. But you can't do anything from overseas, you really need to be in Thailand. Surely, as a business owner, you must know some Thai folks who can recommend a good lawyer. There's plenty of them around, decent, ethical ones.

It was our business with an unknown Thai nominee. I think his girlfriend is now the nominee. I had no idea he took me off the registration. This lawyer was supposed to help me with what he did but after being paid she did nothing.

We met and got married in Australia and moved to Phuket together to live the dream. He found her after 4 months.

I do have friends over there but I need to report her as she is now representing him.

He still claims he can take the apartment even though it is wholly in my name. He can't can he?

Dear Lady.. to answer your question it Needs one more Detail. WHO has the chanod of your condo? If YOU have it you Need to go to the landoffice and let the property be blocked for sale until you do it in Person.

If he has the chanod.. and thats just what I believe.. he can sell it easy. On the landoffice for a sale he needs a copy of your Passport with what I guess again a forged signature and there is one more document required he can easy organize taht at the landoffice and forged your signature on that too.. (Power of Attorney for property sale) if he does that... your property is gone...

I know from myself buy and sell property where I was not present in Person and did give the power to the staff of property agency who is a good friend and the Manager of the condo in an other case who was a friend to me too. Both sales was done without any Problems and I just received the chanod in my Name in one case and the bankcheque in the other case.

Please act quickly and dont inform him about your plans.

If he doen't have the chanod he can Report as lost and order a copy.. but thats more complicated..

Just be careful and try to protect from get stolen what ever you still can.

bEST WISHES

I wonder if this law office is on the way to Phuket a Town on the road from the airport into Phuket Town?

If you have a dispute in a Phuket do not trust ANYONE. Many police and lawyers Work together and are very happy to take a bribe. Even without that you will find many Phuket lawyers help each other, in the extreme, and will work against you whether you are a paying customer or not. You would not believe what I could tell you! These are fearless of breaching morals either professional ones which should be higher than ordinary ones or human ones.

You need to find a lawyer outside Phuket. People have suggested a few law firms here - don't use any in Phuket - the International firms employ Thai lawyers and the above comment goes.

If you have a condo in your name then contact every bank here and tell them the property is yours and that in the event of any attempted sale you will hold them liable if they lend on the property. This is necessary because if they do manage to defraud you then the first thing they will do is try to borrow on the property. Why? Because you then have the bank against you too and the law gives them unfavorable protection. At least you will have put them on notice. I would also advise writing a recorded delivery letter to the land office along similar lines. It may not be of much help but every little helps.

If you try the Lawyers council you will find the representative in Phuket will not be able to help much. I would love to explain why but he is powerful and the defamation laws are powerful here. In any case most of the lawyers at the Lawyers Council in Bangkok are not of the quality you need, though you may get a little advice. Don't hold your breath on them helping you taking on one of the 'club'.

Lawyers there do have ethics - ethics not to sue each other or represent any foreigner trying to expose the corruption which is absolutely riddling the whole of the system in Phuket. Many Phuket Lawyers seem to have no ethics to foreign clients at all - these will gang up against you.

Through the courts in Phuket which are very overworked, on the whole, the lawyers defending will use every trick they can to delay and adjourn - yes against their ethics but no one will help about that. It will take you four years to get a first judgement. If you are outside phuket it will be terribly expensive to keep going to court, and as plaintiff you will have given though the other side will repeatedly not turn up. That is just the system.

Bear in mind that your lawyer will very likely be offered bribes and castigated for helping you because you are a foreigner though you might be more fortunate in they regard since your husband is too. Sort of cancels out - maybe

The best advice here is to sell the place and take your cash as soon as possible by which I mean in a few months.

Do not trust anyone.

I do have a good lawyer but expensive and travel cost make it prohibitive. At least he does not appear to be corrupt and I am many years with him. Maybe find someone in Krabi?

I am not saying every single lawyer is corrupt but many many are and the problem is you just do not know which is which or who knows who, who learnt under who, who has friends who know who.

It is a terrible inditement of the system and just my experience.

Do not trust anyone. Try and avoid the court if you can unless you can pin a criminal case on him which would result in his deportation - that would put the fear up him.

I agree with everything you say, with the exception of trying to find an honest Lawyer in Krabi.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Phuket has got some international law firms, yet I do not know who "trustworthy" they really are. It is ingrained in these people to be corrupt.

Seems to me if they are international she would be able to check on there reliability out side of Thailand.

Not that I think a lot of lawyers. But being out of country if she were to erngage them tyhere it might put some pressure on the ones in Thailand to perform honestly.

At any rate good luck with it. I have no idea if you were in the wrong or he was in the wrong. But I do know the lawyer is in the wrong.

you mean there really are ethical and honest lawyers, well I'll be.

In regards to your divorce, after a certain period you do not need his signature anymore, just show that you have been seperated for the required period of time. Hope you rip him a new ars*hole, bloody mongrel.

Whose name is on the condo paperwork? Just yours? Or yours and your husband's?

Just mine. I paid for it from my account. He had nothing to do with it. Can he take it because we got married?

Everything you bought BEFORE you got married is yours and nobody can claim it. Everything you bought after marriage counts as shared liquids.

I suspect you will only enter into a world of very expensive and very prolonged stress if you pursue this.

You may/will be promised the moon by some lawyers, but unfortunately like many the world over .............

If we had ever heard of verifiable successful litigation on behalf of Thaivisa plaintiffs, I might be persuaded otherwise, until then....

Posters clearly point out your rights but exacting them..........?

Edited by angrybird

Nothing special about "unknownThai nominee" Thousands motorcycle taxis and bargirls are shareholders in falang businesses .Now new laws have complicated known shareholders lives.

But when such illegal arrangement come to the notice of the courts and other officials not involved in profiting from the original scams, they may very well get dissolved and all assets seized.

Which would of course work very much in the OPs favor.

The lawyer having gathered all necessary intelligence as to the OPs position, attitude, generous/naive nature etc is now perfectly equipped to go for the jugular.

OP needs to harden up and use whatever weapons are at her disposal to get what she wants.

If you just want the condo, it seems that's secure as long as you get good trustworthy advice quickly, maybe transfer it to the law firm's name for the moment.

Trying to actually sell it quickly will result in your not getting a decent price.

But I'd advise playing hardball and trying to get as much as possible back, even destroy whatever possible of his asset base just for the fun of it. But yes, that isn't an economically rational strategy, just seeking revenge, only worth pursuing if you can afford to throw money away to get that feeling of satisfaction.

There are of course all kinds of even more satisfactory ways of getting revenge available here in Thailand, but we aren't allowed to discuss anything extralegal, so I'll just stop there. . .

OP: Sorry to hear of your woes. The practices below have good reputations. Suggest you contact the Partner responsible for dispute resolution. It may be worth your while to have one of them to get a member of legal staff to review your issues and have them outline a strategy on how to address the legal issues, indicative timelines and fees; they will not be inexpensive. Alternatively possibly they have an association with a Phuket based practice they can recommend?

Only an assumption, but if it went to Court, I would guess it would be difficult to get enforcement in a reasonable amount of time as ex would just appeal to get more time or possibly move elsewhere. Could always ask that bail is not offered as a flight risk...

http://www.tilleke.com/

http://www.bakermckenzie.com/Thailand/

It may be useful to contact AFP if husband has busines dealings in Oz, doubt they could assist for financial crime/fraud comitted in Thailand, but at least he would be on their radar if his name popped up in the future.

Thank you for your advise. I am very grateful.

If you lawyer is licensed than they can also report your lawyer at the Lawyer Council as it's not within the code of ethics to switch parties for licensed lawyers and it could lead to revoking the license.

It should normally not be possible to do anything with your apartment, but as they are already using fake signatures you'd better be quick.

Bare in mind that the Thai legal system, both civil and criminal, is very slow so your best bet would be to come to an agreement to avoid a very long legal battle on distance with a lot of expenses!

OP: Sorry to hear of your woes. The practices below have good reputations. Suggest you contact the Partner responsible for dispute resolution. It may be worth your while to have one of them to get a member of legal staff to review your issues and have them outline a strategy on how to address the legal issues, indicative timelines and fees; they will not be inexpensive. Alternatively possibly they have an association with a Phuket based practice they can recommend?

Only an assumption, but if it went to Court, I would guess it would be difficult to get enforcement in a reasonable amount of time as ex would just appeal to get more time or possibly move elsewhere. Could always ask that bail is not offered as a flight risk...

It may be useful to contact AFP if husband has busines dealings in Oz, doubt they could assist for financial crime/fraud comitted in Thailand, but at least he would be on their radar if his name popped up in the future.

Thank you for your advise. I am very grateful.

If you lawyer is licensed than they can also report your lawyer at the Lawyer Council as it's not within the code of ethics to switch parties for licensed lawyers and it could lead to revoking the license.

It should normally not be possible to do anything with your apartment, but as they are already using fake signatures you'd better be quick.

Bare in mind that the Thai legal system, both civil and criminal, is very slow so your best bet would be to come to an agreement to avoid a very long legal battle on distance with a lot of expenses!

Do you have the lawyers councils phone number or details please

Just mine. I paid for it from my account. He had nothing to do with it. Can he take it because we got married?

Did you buy it before or after you were married?

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Marital-Property-for-Thailand-Divorce.php[/quot

e]

I bought 2 years before we where married.

Well, I just hope there is some value in this beyond bitterness and revenge.

When it comes to being blood-suckers ex-spouses and lawyers are both in the top flight.

How much would you be walking away from if you forgot about the business and just sold the condo, leaving Thailand never to return?

Edited by jacko45k

Yes the above firms are reputable, but very expensive, expensive far beyond their scope of

help, I should know, I have used one of them in the past...

• Like 1

g'day cheated ... I know the feeling (its like a goanna bite; never heals) ...

my 2 bobs worth is;

there are three time frames ... the past (your ex has stitched you up), your present (you immediate past solicitor and you current dilemma) and your future problems ...

your ex, your ex-solicitor and the legal profession will all look to milk you ... (the agenda of anyone who prospers from another's misfortune - the legal fraternity - is to make money, the more the problematic, convoluted and structured, the better billing wise)

[ a bloke I have known many years (and know that he is a prick) wife left him; successfully sued him (in excess of $600K about 20 years ago) and because he drew it out, her legal fees were more than the payout ... so cavet emptor ]

consider this problem analytically ... all those pricks out there who will make money from you

and then emotively ... you have been wronged, betrayed and its more than the money ...

separate the two: so do you throw good money after bad?

if you want *revenge, read Private Dancer and find out what happened to Pete ... if that's the closure you want, it will be the cheapest by far ...

one of the other posters has a saying on the bottom of his posts; to the effect 'resentment is a pill you take, hoping the other person gets crook' ...

so here we are ... (say) 5 years into the future ...

path A: chasing your Ex husband down, lining solicitors pockets (thank you very much)

path B: give thanks that it wasn't longer, you didn't lose more; you got out of it cheap (because he is a prick, and now he is someone else's problem) ... and you can meet someone far better who will honour you ... (but not while you're in the quick-sand of negativity and revenge)

Buddha says "we are not punished for having pain, but by holding onto it"

• Like 1

Only what was purchased after the wedding is classified as marital assets. If it was bought afterwards it will be 50% his, but u are also entitled to 50%,of his assets.

• Like 1

g'day cheated ... I know the feeling (its like a goanna bite; never heals) ...

my 2 bobs worth is;

there are three time frames ... the past (your ex has stitched you up), your present (you immediate past solicitor and you current dilemma) and your future problems ...

your ex, your ex-solicitor and the legal profession will all look to milk you ... (the agenda of anyone who prospers from another's misfortune - the legal fraternity - is to make money, the more the problematic, convoluted and structured, the better billing wise)

[ a bloke I have known many years (and know that he is a prick) wife left him; successfully sued him (in excess of $600K about 20 years ago) and because he drew it out, her legal fees were more than the payout ... so cavet emptor ]

consider this problem analytically ... all those pricks out there who will make money from you

and then emotively ... you have been wronged, betrayed and its more than the money ...

separate the two: so do you throw good money after bad?

if you want *revenge, read Private Dancer and find out what happened to Pete ... if that's the closure you want, it will be the cheapest by far ...

one of the other posters has a saying on the bottom of his posts; to the effect 'resentment is a pill you take, hoping the other person gets crook' ...

so here we are ... (say) 5 years into the future ...

path A: chasing your Ex husband down, lining solicitors pockets (thank you very much)

path B: give thanks that it wasn't longer, you didn't lose more; you got out of it cheap (because he is a prick, and now he is someone else's problem) ... and you can meet someone far better who will honour you ... (but not while you're in the quick-sand of negativity and revenge)

Buddha says "we are not punished for having pain, but by holding onto it"

You know that is fantastic advise and I thank you for taking the time to give it to me. I follow Buddha too and believe in Karma. He will also have to pay this crooked lawyer and she will milk him for everything she can. After reading all the posts, I know he can't take it from me so I feel a lot better.

I don't want to waste any more money on him. He already took so much.

Thank you again

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all the support and information. I am feeling very confident now and will win this. I am a fighter and will not lay down.

I will report her to the lawyers council. Anyone know the contact details please.

Thailand Lawyers council.

7/89 Building 10 (Ratchadamneun Klang )

Phra Nakhorn

Bangkok 10200.

Email, lawyerscouncil.or.th

Tell.02.6291430

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

Why don't you explain your story a little more.

My husband cheated me out of our business when he met a Thai woman. He illegally deregistered me off our business and forged my signature. He is now trying to take the apartment that I bought before I married him. It is not in his name it's in mine. I paid for it as well. He says he can take everything from me because that's Thailand.

First of all, forget Phuket and go to Bangkok, the only place with real lawyers in Thailand

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2