Dishonest Unethical Lawyer

Phoenix1312

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things would be easier if you were here to shop around for a lawyer. Regarding your husband, who knows he might get done by his new love, happens often enough, sounds like he deserves it too.

Send me pm, I'll answer it later this afternoon.

"Regarding your husband, who knows he might get done by his new love, happens often enough"

A farang woman (whose choice of posting names, "cheated," probably says more about her than she realizes) tells one side of a story about a farang male and about her experience with a Thai lawyer. All the Thai Visa fish swallow it, hook, line and sinker with no possibility that she might have "colored" the facts to suit her own agenda and then, wait for it, we manage to inject another fantasy about some unknown Thai woman who is somehow likely to "do" this farang male.

The Farang Fantasy Factory is working overtime today.

100402Brain.jpg

quote "maybe transfer it to the law firm's name for the moment"

the worst advice ever offered on TV ?

Only if she chooses ANOTHER untrustworthy firm - I think pretty unlikely given her first experience.

Baker & McKenzie are definitely safe and will hold anything in trust even though the concept doesn't exist in Thailand legally.

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

The aforesaid lawyer doesn't work in the Jomtien/Pattaya area by any chance?

I had a similar experience - charged me the earth for relatively nothing.

Regarding the Chanud /Deed on your condo make sure it is in your possession and make sure the land office has a block on any sale ,, if your husband gets hold of it even if its in your name he may be able to sell it with help of a corrupt lawyer and coniving land office officials ,, it happened to me in Jomtien 4 years ago .

Out of curiosity, is this a "Farang Friendly" law firm? A law firm that specifically targets Farangs?

It was supposed to be but she seems to milk farangs for their money and then does absolutely nothing

That is how a typical Thai lawyer operates.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The reported instances of Thai Lawyers being less than honest pales compared with some of the malpractice in USA

Check out "American Greed" on youtube..in one case the lawyers take 90% 0f the multi-million award for a class action, one of the lawyers was

not sent to prison as he was deemed to be an alcholic during the wholesale theft. Drunk Drivers sentenced to jail terms might like to use this as precedent if appealing.

Where wills have been disputed most of the legacy is consumed by legal fees.

Edited by angrybird
  • Like 2

The reported instances of Thai Lawyers being less than honest pales compared with some of the malpractice in USA

Check out "American Greed" on youtube..in one case the lawyers take 90% 0f the multi-million award for a class action, one of the lawyers was

not sent to prison as he was deemed to be an alcholic during the wholesale theft. Drunk Drivers sentenced to jail terms might like to use this as precedent if appealing.

Agree. The way some of these folks talk is as if they've never dealt with western lawyers.

Agree. The way some of these folks talk is as if they've never dealt with western lawyers.

Fair comment. Well I have dealt with a No of Thai lawyers, and as I've already stated I have absolutely no respect for them, my own personnel experience of Thai lawyers is very negative.

Compared this with my experience of dealing with lawyers in the UK whom I found to be honest,competent,not open to corruption and scams. Furthermore I cannot recollect any of my friends or acquaintances having any issues with UK lawyers, yet here in Thailand, anybody who has had dealings with these Thai lawyers, knows the score.

Contact your Embassy. They will have a list of lawyers that they know in Thailand. They will not recommend them but, it's a start. You could check out McKenzie Baker or Baker McKenzie in Bangkok. Also never pay 100% of anything up front in Thailand.

Not always the best option to deal with Embassies. The British embassy had alleged crooks Drew Noyes and Brian Goldie on their lists at one time.

Really best to go to some of the established companies, as you mention Baker McKenzie or Tilike Gibbins, of course they won't be cheap.

That is how a typical Thai lawyer operates.

Correction that is how a typical lawyer operates.

It seems to me what your first lawyer did was deeply unethical. Once a lawyer has been in contact with one party, he can no longer represent the opposite party, even if his first client is no longer his client. That is basic ethics.

I don't know if there is an ethic's commission for Thai lawyer, but you might want to check on that and then report your experience to them.

Fair comment. Well I have dealt with a No of Thai lawyers, and as I've already stated I have absolutely no respect for them, my own personnel experience of Thai lawyers is very negative.

Compared this with my experience of dealing with lawyers in the UK whom I found to be honest,competent,not open to corruption and scams. Furthermore I cannot recollect any of my friends or acquaintances having any issues with UK lawyers, yet here in Thailand, anybody who has had dealings with these Thai lawyers, knows the score.

I agree. Having worked in the UK legal system I can vouch that UK lawyers are a different breed. On the whole honest and not corrupt. Not all are competent but that is something you can easily see. Thai lawyers by comparison are not only incompetent, they have no ethics and no professional body holding them to task if they step outside the boundary of ethical behaviour. In fact it is the opposite - they are encouraged to cheat and scam foreigners - it is a pastime here.

Scumbags.

I wouldn't use Tilleke & Gibbins either. They performed very poorly for me, did not follow instructions and when I took them to task with all the written evidence, suggested I sue them - if I could find a lawyer to do it in Thailand.

Not competent in my experience nor professional. That is just one office though.