A well and a toilet!

patongphil

Just found out there is an old toilet where I was intending to dig a well. It is one of those "long drop" types which are put up temporarily for the workers whilst building a house. This has been filled in and covered over for 4 years.

Is there any issue in still putting the well there or should I move it and if so how far?

Thanks for any replies.

If you decide to put a well in your septic system needs 30 meters from the well to keep it free of contaminates in the water supply otherwise your waste water can foul your bathing water , shower, sinks that you would use for drinking.

If you have room put it as far as you can from the well if it is temporary.While piss will go away quickly hard wastes take a lot longer to die out.

Dig a well? Or a bore hole? Not sure I would want to dig a well for anything but watering the garden - which wouldn't really matter what it's close to.

Whats wrong with well or bore water ??

OP, I think you are pretty safe with a 4 year old long drop. If still concerned then put a filter into the system before it goes into the house.

Just don't dig the well yourself :)

Dig a well? Or a bore hole? Not sure I would want to dig a well for anything but watering the garden - which wouldn't really matter what it's close to.

There is no municipal water around here and every house, including my own, has its own well. The water is fine and abundant at about 8m. Our well is 15m deep.

If you decide to put a well in your septic system needs 30 meters from the well to keep it free of contaminates in the water supply otherwise your waste water can foul your bathing water , shower, sinks that you would use for drinking.

If you have room put it as far as you can from the well if it is temporary.While piss will go away quickly hard wastes take a lot longer to die out.

This is an old disused long drop type toilet which we uncovered when clearing the land, not any existing or proposed system.

Should be fine if its 4 years old, I believe 1 year is good. But if it was me, I would move it because of the creepiness of putting my well in an old septic field, haha.

Thanks for that and all others that heave replied. I too feel uneasy about putting the well there so will probably move it - unfortunately will require a bit of a change of design/positioning of the buildings.