For those if us that have lukrung kids

N47HAN

Do you see your offspring residing in Phuket , building a career / buisiness here on the island when they grow up . Moving perhaps to BKK or maybe even becoming an expat in farangland.

Had this discussion with the wife over the last few months , my sons only 7 so of course many years to see how things pan out .

But one thing that came up was the reality of the closeness of the Thai family unit.

For most expats we have left behind parents , perhaps even children in the persuit of our own dreams and desires and theyve ended with us residing here.

Guess im asking in 10 / 20 years from now can you see your offspring here in Phuket or elsewhere.

And do you think the Thai culture of the family unit will have an influence in their choices later in life ?

Just putting out here to see if anyone else has given any thought to this ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That is a difficult question. My son will be 8 in April.

Plucking him from here to farangland would seem like cruel, due to the family ties. He will have a choice, as an adult, of either here or EU, so I am not yet worried.

I do worry about his education more so than where he will live in 20 years. They all go together, I guess.

• Like 1

My 20-year-old has my permission and support for anything.

I wanna get her back to the Old Country four six months to put the finishing touches on her bi-cultural identity.

Any of these sick "Thai-Uni-girls-are-all-over-me" types are gonna have to get through "mother" and I.

And, yep, I wanna see some serious sin sot, as well.

It's Gringo culture.

• Like 1

My daughter is 8 and she is keen to move and go to school in England, not that she has any experience of such a life but it's in her head at the moment. She may do a taster day this summer in a UK school and that may put her off for good or may have the opposite effect. I just don't know.

As for the longer term, I would try to keep her away from the Thai education system so I'm pretty sure she'd go to university in an English speaking country. And that really would leave the world open to her.

• Like 2

My 20-year-old has my permission and support for anything.

I wanna get her back to the Old Country four six months to put the finishing touches on her bi-cultural identity.

Any of these sick "Thai-Uni-girls-are-all-over-me" types are gonna have to get through "mother" and I.

And, yep, I wanna see some serious sin sot, as well.

It's Gringo culture.

Yes l agree. If l ever have a girl. l will be demanding 6 million up for sin sot. What is good for the goose...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks Ivan

Our daughter has been raised to know herself and to respect herself. Early on at the age of fourteen/fifteen she was uneasy with the attention she got as a tall "half". She even asked her mom why everyone was staring at her, especially men and boys in Bangkok. Mom cut right to the chase and told exactly why.

"Well, Honey, It's like this: They want to have sex with you."

Now, after growing up on a full-on farm, sex was no mystery.

But this was the beginning of a three or four year conversation. Complete disclosure on all matters. The good, the bad and the ugly. . . . . and, of course, the beautiful. (She saved it for last, I think.) and then she finished with "But if you're smart you'll save that whole deal for after you're finished University. But in ANY case, you have to be careful and here's how you do THAT."

"The Kid" as we call this savvy, elegant, accomplished twenty-year-old is fully aware of the challenges life will bring to her.

Going on a bit here but we are confident she'll handle anything that may come her way.

And there ain't gonna be any predatory douchebag pull any "hit and run" swindle on this young lady without putting up some serious "stick-around" money. We'll hang on to it, of course. It'll be theirs but there's gonna be a "seasoning" period.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

• Like 2

My daughter was born and raised in Phuket but always went to an internaional school ( first the Montessori, than BIS an finished up at QSI)

there was never any discussion as to where she would go to University.( and that is where she wanted to go) She is well an happy at Sonoma state university now.in her 2nd year.

If u have a luk Kreang and raise them thai ur fine

but to raise them in an international school...and leave them in Thailand....

Out of all my daughters classmates/friends that were not full Thai, only one stayed in thailand for university.

I think about this a lot and agree with many of the comments made above: the Thai education system is a corrupt disgrace, and the private schools here aren't worth the tuition fees.

My goal is to put my daughter, now 8, into a position to do whatever she wants when she is old enough to decide for herself. That's why I home school her, at least on the English language side.

She sees her future in the US, my place of birth.

My conundrum now is whether to have another kid. I am 50 now, but my wife is in her late 30s, and aware that her baby-making factory days are numbered.

Both of them constantly on me to 'put a bun in the oven'; they call it 'project baby brother'...I guess this is a good problem to have in some respects, but if she does get pregnant I am afraid that I will be too old to take care of them. ,,

• Like 1

I think also look kreung (OP spelled lukkrung) which seem to think of themselves as 100% Thai when very young, will start looking for their roots when reaching puberty.

On several occasions I severely lectured not too well off/not too well organized Farang fathers of look kreung that they didn't claim farang nationality for the half farang child yet. You can drop dead any moment, highly questionable if the Thai mother will be able to do this herself then, or the look kreung himself. Most likely the child will feel then like spitting on its father's grave.

Edited by keestha

I think also look kreung (OP spelled lukkrung) which seem to think of themselves as 100% Thai when very young, will start looking for their roots when reaching puberty.

On several occasions I severely lectured not too well off/not too well organized Farang fathers of look kreung that they didn't claim farang nationality for the half farang child yet. You can drop dead any moment, highly questionable if the Thai mother will be able to do this herself then, or the look kreung himself. Most likely the child will feel then like spitting on its father's grave.

My luk kreung "child" is 25 and still thinks of himself as Thai. His roots are here in Thailand. He has a British passport that expired about 20 years ago. It will be replaced eventually, but he is in no hurry.

• Like 1