Is sunflower oil safe to use?

Jim Moee

Concerned about health, I searched on the internet about sunflower oil whether it is trustworthy to replace with palm oil.

The current palm oil price is US$850 per metric ton.

Believe it or not, sunflower oil suppliers offer ranging from US$300-900 per metric ton right here in Thailand, all saying their oil is 100% refined and meet EU and US quality.

As fas as I know, palm oil is the cheapest that's why all street carts are using it, right?

Then, why is sunflower oil cheaper than palm oil and having a very wide price range?

How can we choose to eat healthy? Any suggestions?

Palm oil is not healthy.

Sunflower's just fine, only oil - other than olive for farang food but that's rare in my house and a LOT more expensive - we've used in fifteen years, never a problem.

Note there's VERY rampant fraud in the olive oil business very nasty stuff, top offender's Italy. Better off using Spanish.

Canola's OK too, but not common, expensive here.

• Like 2

Olive Oil is the best oil you can use.

Approved by the Australian Heart Foundation

Olive oil is not good for cooking at high heat. Canola is just as healthy as olive oil, but it can be used for deep frying, and methods that use high temperatures.

I use Greek and American olive oil (due to the issues with Italian) for anything that does not require cooking and for some cooking applications, and canola or corn for most cooking. I sometimes mix a bit of olive in the canola for taste.

You'd have to bonkers to use olive oil for deep frying at these prices :)

Olive oil is not good for cooking at high heat. Canola is just as healthy as olive oil, but it can be used for deep frying, and methods that use high temperatures.

I use Greek and American olive oil (due to the issues with Italian) for anything that does not require cooking and for some cooking applications, and canola or corn for most cooking. I sometimes mix a bit of olive in the canola for taste.

You'd have to bonkers to use olive oil for deep frying at these prices smile.png

I buy corn and canola here in Thailand, but I bring in olive from the US and Europe. :)

To the OP, I also make plov, a Russian dish, and I use sunflower oil for that.

Back to the OP.

The problem with street carts is they tend to use RECYCLED oil in their cooking.

The oil is second hand oil from higher end restaurants, too rancid for further use, just filtered and sold to the street vendors.

New Palm oil from the supermarkets, no problem at all.

"According to Harvard nutrition experts, palm oil is better than hightrans fat shortenings and probably a better choice than butter but vegetable oils that are naturally liquid at room temperature, such as olive oil and canola oil, should still be your first choice."

Edited by FiftyTwo

Olive oil isn't good to fry something

I use it for pan frying or stir fry all the time. I don't cook or eat things that have been deep-fried.

Eating fried food may not be bad for the heart, as long as you use olive or sunflower oil to make it, experts say.

They found no heightened risk of heart disease or premature death linked to food that had been cooked in this way.

But the investigators stress that their findings, from studying the typical Spanish diet in which these "healthy" oils are found in abundance, do not apply to lard or other cooking oils.

+++++++++++

"Participants in this study used unsaturated fats such as olive and sunflower oil to fry their food. We currently recommend swapping saturated fats like butter, lard or palm oil for unsaturated fats as a way of keeping your cholesterol down and this study gives further cause to make that switch.

++++++

Victoria Taylor, a senior heart health dietitian at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Before we all reach for the frying pan, it's important to remember that this was a study of a Mediterranean diet rather than British fish and chips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16691754

Don't confuse palm oil from Suthep's oil palms with cold-pressed, extra-virgin coconut oil from coconut palms.

And please bear in mind the fierce competition between various vegetable oil suppliers. Corn oil, soi oil, seed oil, canola oil, olive oil, (both real and "Corleone" brand that burns your throat)

Food is a hugely competitive business.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

I believe that sunflower oil is one of the ones that is high in polyunsaturated fat (that bad one). Monounsaturated fat is better. Palm oil always rings bells in my mind as being a major no no artery clogger etc.

Only for the fat and lazy.

As far as I can see.

@DB

Coconut oil (85% saturated fat) is considered far worse than palm oil (50% saturated fat).

http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/by-the-way-doctor-is-palm-oil-good-for-you

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

It mostly depends on whether it is cold pressed or processed. Palm oil is healthy if it is cold pressed, but it is cloudy and you don't have as much oil at the end of the day. However, if you add chemicals and heat and hydrogen, you will get more, clear, cheap oil, but it is full of trans fats and not heart healthy. Your choice.

• Like 1

Our house:

-Rice Bran oil for cooking Thai food

-Soybean oil for deep frying (french fries, chicken wings, whatnot)

-Canola for salad dressings and mayonnaise

-Virgin Olive Oil where it's called for in cooking farang food

-Extra Light Virgin Olive Oil at the table for salad, bread, etc.

Olive oil isn't good to fry something

I use it for pan frying or stir fry all the time. I don't cook or eat things that have been deep-fried.

Eating fried food may not be bad for the heart, as long as you use olive or sunflower oil to make it, experts say.

They found no heightened risk of heart disease or premature death linked to food that had been cooked in this way.

But the investigators stress that their findings, from studying the typical Spanish diet in which these "healthy" oils are found in abundance, do not apply to lard or other cooking oils.

+++++++++++

"Participants in this study used unsaturated fats such as olive and sunflower oil to fry their food. We currently recommend swapping saturated fats like butter, lard or palm oil for unsaturated fats as a way of keeping your cholesterol down and this study gives further cause to make that switch.

++++++

Victoria Taylor, a senior heart health dietitian at the British Heart Foundation, said: "Before we all reach for the frying pan, it's important to remember that this was a study of a Mediterranean diet rather than British fish and chips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16691754

The only reason the Mediterranean got away with eating olive oil is because of the exercise they do and the amount of veg they eat.

I use olive oil for farang food, coconut oil for Asian food as it doesn't keep it's flavour to itself, and sunflower or canola oil for deep frying or farang food that needs high temperature frying.

So much contradictory science over my lifetime, always 100% proved and accurate and don't believe in anything we previously told you was 100% proved and accurate (until the next report comes along) that I've given up worrying about clogged arteries and such.

Nan lived until her late 90's and used nothing but lard or dripping all her life and during the war she recycled it many times over due to shortages and lack of money. It's quantity as much as anything else, I'm a big believer of all things in moderation. Life is for the living, and as far as taste goes, nothing on earth beats an egg fried in lard (which I can't get here and am too lazy to make despite it being so easy).

My opinion, everyone is entitled to believe what they want.

• Like 1