Availability of tiny house or small empty plot in city center?

WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder if anyone knows of an area where tiny small houses (think townhouse/shophouse/wooden shack), or miniature vacant plot are located *in downtown Chiang Mai* ?

Downtown means old city or the area between the old city and the river, say 20-25 minute walk to Thapae Gate, or less. (So it might include the sois just south of the moat, or just North of it.)

I'm looking for dumpy/ghetto-y areas where at some point in the last 20-40 years horrible little houses were built, though empty (postage-stamp sized) land is also good.

Anyone can think of such an area / soi? Or to put it in financial terms, an area of 15-35 sq wa, built on or not, where something can be bought for pretty much the land price. (Which will be high enough downtown, like 50K / sq wa.) So the trick here is to find something small and decrepit enough.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sure, but when plots get very small then the commercial value also gets less. For example for larger plots, say 200 sq wa, then that's enough to build a boutique hotel == very high value.

But what's anyone gonna do with 20 sq wa in a back soi; then the sq wa price is less outrageous. Or even if it's 60K or 75K then that's still manageable.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As a ballpark example; a friend of mine bought a rundown wooden structure and renovated and it cost her a total of just over 2 mill. BUT that was almost 10 years ago - prices have gone up since then. At a guess I would say the area would be around 30-40 wah, it could be a bit less.

• Like 1

Steep, but probably not if it has good road access..

And I also have the feeling that 10 years from now, people will consider 3.4 mil for just about anything opposite Chang Phuak gate an amazing deal..

(Keeping in mind that even today people pay 3.4 million for a condo with barely 20 sq wa (80m2) in locations that aren't exactly in the middle of things. Just a nice looking building that may or may not be still looking nice in 10 years time. Yet that 30sq wa opposite Chang Phuak gate will always be 30 sq wa opposite Chang Phuak gate. wink.png )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

And I also have the feeling that 10 years from now, people will consider 3.4 mil for just about anything opposite Chang Phuak gate an amazing deal..

(Keeping in mind that even today people pay 3.4 million for a condo with barely 20 sq wa (80m2) in locations that aren't exactly in the middle of things. Just a nice looking building that may or may not be still looking nice in 10 years time. Yet that 30sq wa opposite Chang Phuak gate will always be 30 sq wa opposite Chang Phuak gate. wink.png )

Agreed. If you list that property even five years from now for 3.4 million, someone will snap it up faster than you can say "mascarakatze!"

I know of a plot of land for sale near the central town area and I expect so do many others.

The question is how much are you prepared to spend, meaning the absolute maximum price or how much funds do you have for this purchase? Also what sort of property are you seeking, for example, are you a property speculator, as a renting business, living accommodation, a workshop or a shop? This information helps others to suggest something that may be suitable.

10 million baht. Irrespective of size under half Rai. Let me know how far off the mark I am. Good luck.

Far. smile.png

You're right for empty land sized 100-200 sq wa of course, but prices drop dramatically for just a shophouse or townhouse somewhere.

I know of a plot of land for sale near the central town area and I expect so do many others.

The question is how much are you prepared to spend, meaning the absolute maximum price or how much funds do you have for this purchase? Also what sort of property are you seeking, for example, are you a property speculator, as a renting business, living accommodation, a workshop or a shop? This information helps others to suggest something that may be suitable.

Preferably something that's already a townhouse, shophouse or anything else really. Something that is (or can be turned into) living accommodation (not a shop.)

Price.. cheap. 2 million, preferably less, or a little more if needed because of a slightly larger size.

Just earlier today I saw a rather big shophouse (3 floors) for 3 million. And I know of some shophouses down a soi directly off the moat for around 2 million and a bit. (also 3 floors I think, but in need of major work) So I'd say 1.5-2 mil should be doable for something tiny.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

10 million baht. Irrespective of size under half Rai. Let me know how far off the mark I am. Good luck.

Far. smile.png

You're right for empty land sized 100-200 sq wa of course, but prices drop dramatically for just a shophouse or townhouse somewhere.

Preferably something that's already a townhouse, shophouse or anything else really. Something that is (or can be turned into) living accommodation (not a shop.)

Price.. cheap. 2 million, preferably less, or a little more if needed because of a slightly larger size.

Just earlier today I saw a rather big shophouse (3 floors) for 3 million. And I know of some shophouses down a soi directly off the moat for around 2 million and a bit. (also 3 floors I think, but in need of major work) So I'd say 1.5-2 mil should be doable for something tiny.

Sorry, can`t help you. The person I know near the railway station would want a least 1 million just for a small piece of land.

My advice is try the banks. They often have property auctions and although rarely do their land and properties go for the original asking prices, you may get lucky.

I was all over this one a year ago but location was wrong for me. A great project.

On very quiet road just behind the womens prison, plot looks to be about 75 wah.

Still empty today, I think last year it was circa 2 mill plus

post-150623-1393074287489_thumb.jpg

And the house next door on a long narrow plot with old house also looks empty

post-150623-1393074381846_thumb.jpg

Worth a look, and worth the enquiry.

Incidently the timber house needs major renos, for me selling the wood or starting again further back in the plot

• Like 1

I saw that house for sale. I think it's long gone. A small plot of land near chiang mai gate( near hat Yai chicken stall) had sign " quick sale" and was 4.5 million! The soi it's on can barely get a small car down it. 4 or 5 years ago was would have been great time to buy.

or conversely, why dont you pm him the location, let him take a look and decide all these things in a manner that is not hypothetical and intended purely for your own entertainment?