Five tiger cubs seized in Thai police wildlife haul

webfact

It's not just those who are caught shipping who are the scumbags - it is US!!!

We are the consumers who turn a blind eye to the effects on the environment and it's all of us who consume these products or support alternative medicines that perpetuate demand for these creatures and live off the backs of cheap labour that makes it so easy to persuade those living on the breadline to do the dirty work.

We are the consumers who turn a blind eye to the effects on the environment and it's all of us who consume these products or support alternative medicines that perpetuate demand for these creatures and live off the backs of cheap labour that makes it so easy to persuade those living on the breadline to do the dirty work.

Not guilty on that one.

But like you I would love to see these magnificent animals in the wild, so far I haven't been able to get into any of the really big forest areas where it is a possibility.

I read that there have even been sightings of the even rarer Asian Rino and possible footprints of the even rarer still Javan Rino, how long these animals can last is anyones guess.

Hopefully I will be able to get to one of the bigger national parks later this year or next.

Don't forget that we have a caretaker deputy PM who still has charges to be heard against him for exporting endangered wildlife (tigers).

Yes - whatever happened to K. Plodprasop's day in court???

Didn't he also want to start a restaurant at Chang Mai zoo with exotic animal meat on the menu ?

Another great role model for the kids.

Not guilty on that one.

But like you I would love to see these magnificent animals in the wild, so far I haven't been able to get into any of the really big forest areas where it is a possibility.

I read that there have even been sightings of the even rarer Asian Rino and possible footprints of the even rarer still Javan Rino, how long these animals can last is anyones guess.

Hopefully I will be able to get to one of the bigger national parks later this year or next.

There are people who have worked in conservation areas for 20 years who haven't seen a tiger....or Rhino ....I personally get a thrill out of seeing any trace of a big cat - scrapes, spoor, scat, whatever.....at least you know they are there.

However there is a big question here. Wheras eco-tourism is probably the way to go, it has to be balanced against the effects resulting intrusion may have on the fragile population.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

300 wild tigers in Thailand? That is a complete lie, there have been no wild tigers seen in Thailand for many years. Tigers need large areas of forest to roam, these types of habitat no longer exist in Thailand. Deforestation and hunting have wiped out many species of animals here. Wild tigers do exist in Burma which has large areas of forest almost untouched by humans.

Laos may have some, Vietnam probably not. Malaysia has a very few.

eerrrr ...frogshit....while the numbers are pathetic, they are out there.

I know someone that has taken photos of them even.....both with his bare hands and with trap cameras.

300 wild tigers in Thailand? That is a complete lie, there have been no wild tigers seen in Thailand for many years. Tigers need large areas of forest to roam, these types of habitat no longer exist in Thailand. Deforestation and hunting have wiped out many species of animals here. Wild tigers do exist in Burma which has large areas of forest almost untouched by humans.

Laos may have some, Vietnam probably not. Malaysia has a very few.

You are labouring under a few misconceptions here.

There are tigers in Thailand still.

There IS suitable habitat too - unfortunately it has largely been poaching of both tigers and their prey that has brought about the dramatic reduction in the population. Although encroachment and other intrusions into the jungle hasn't helped. Illegal logging and other sanctioned projects build roads into the forests and allow poachers access. recently there as been evidence of poachers leaving poisoned carcasses out.

Enforcement is a key factor in this and Countries like Burma , Vietnam Laos and Cambodia all suffer from lack of enforcement and of course the greater the poverty, the easier it is to bribe locals to help.

current dam projects are also a major threat.