Samsung firmware update error

DagonKhan

I bought a Samsung GT-I9082 (Grand Duos) phone a week or so ago. I downloaded a few apps pretty much as soon as I got it.

Later that night I downloaded the Kies software and connected the phone. Kies recognised the phone and was able to backup what was on it. It also mentioned that a firmware update was available, so I downloaded that. It downloads fine, gets to 100% and almost straight away Kies pops up a message that there is an unknown error updating the firmware.

I tried this a few times and after failing to find any solution (beyond uninstalling and reinstalling the Kies software) to the problem I gave up.

Today I downloaded some apps and opened Kies again. This time it told me that there was an update to Kies itself, which I duly downloaded. I was hoping that the newer version might fix the firmware update problem, but it hasn't.

Any ideas?

Will it let you do it over the air rather than through Kies?

I don't believe it will. I went (on the phone) to:- settings/about device/software update/update and I get a message saying the latest updates are already installed. I'm guessing that is referring to operating system updates as opposed to firmware ones?xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

1. Check the Official Samsung website and verify that the OS version on your phone is the latest.

2. If there is a newer update available, do a google search for that version and add "forum" or "error" and look for Forum results that talk about the update.

3. It's possible that the download is corrupt. (Does the Official Samsung website give the MD5 hash and does it match, or does the website give a method for verifying the download?)

4. Delete the download and try again.

Note: Check the instructions and precautions listed with the update. Sometimes it will cause your phone to completely reset, losing all data and settings then you'll need to set the phone up again as if it were new.

The only update I saw mentioned in a quick search was this Aug 11 2013 mention: Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS (GT-I9082) gets Android 4.2.2 update

Samsung has started rolling out Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Grand DUOS (model number GT-I9082). The new software has been caught in Russia and it’s safe to assume that the global rollout will follow shortly.
The update’s build number is I9105PXXUBMG8, and it brings along few new features like lockscreen widgets, dedicated toggles menu in the status bar, improved task switching, Daydream screensaver mode, as well as performance enhancements.

Any other 'updates' mentioned were for AOSP ROMS created by unofficial custom rom developers (even if the description says Official KitKat 4.4.2).

Will it let you do it over the air rather than through Kies?

I don't believe it will. I went (on the phone) to:- settings/about device/software update/update and I get a message saying the latest updates are already installed. I'm guessing that is referring to operating system updates as opposed to firmware ones?xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

On most if not all Android phone firmware updates can contain one or more of the following: modem (radio), bootloaders, recovery, ROM System (OS, drivers, key programs, 'bloatware' programs), kernel, data, and cache. Usually, Operating System and ROM (package) are synonymous.

1. Check the Official Samsung website and verify that the OS version on your phone is the latest.

2. If there is a newer update available, do a google search for that version and add "forum" or "error" and look for Forum results that talk about the update.

3. It's possible that the download is corrupt. (Does the Official Samsung website give the MD5 hash and does it match, or does the website give a method for verifying the download?)

4. Delete the download and try again.

Note: Check the instructions and precautions listed with the update. Sometimes it will cause your phone to completely reset, losing all data and settings then you'll need to set the phone up again as if it were new.

The only update I saw mentioned in a quick search was this Aug 11 2013 mention: Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS (GT-I9082) gets Android 4.2.2 update

Samsung has started rolling out Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Grand DUOS (model number GT-I9082). The new software has been caught in Russia and it’s safe to assume that the global rollout will follow shortly.
The update’s build number is I9105PXXUBMG8, and it brings along few new features like lockscreen widgets, dedicated toggles menu in the status bar, improved task switching, Daydream screensaver mode, as well as performance enhancements.

Any other 'updates' mentioned were for AOSP ROMS created by unofficial custom rom developers (even if the description says Official KitKat 4.4.2).

I have tried various forums for answers, but none appear to have a reply specific to my model. The general concensus amongst the older answers was to uninstall Kies and reload, which I did.

I'm afraid you lost me with the MD5 hash thing, I don't understand that.

Your quote above is of interest though. My phone says it already has Android 4.2.2 but the build number is not what is mentioned, mine shows a baseband version of I9082DXUBMI1. The build number shows as JDQ39.I9082XXUBMJ4. Hmmm...

I'm afraid you lost me with the MD5 hash thing, I don't understand that.

When you download software or firmware the file should have, or come with, a way to verify data integrity of the downloaded file. If you were to update your phone with a incomplete or damaged file it could potentially brick your phone.

MD5, SHA-n and other 'hash algorithms' are a method of looking at all the bits that make up a file and assigning it a number based on those bits. When a file is transferred or copied, the file is re-examined to make sure all the bits and the assigned number match to verify data integrity.

You usually don't need to know this. Manufacturers normally build in the data-integrity checking system into their software. Sometimes. Usually.

If you ever get to a point where you want to flash 3rd-party 'custom roms' you'll really want to learn the process of verifying file data integrity. Otherwise, hope the OEM program does it for you.

KiES generally is successful ~ 15% of the time with a firmware upgrade, on a good day. Chances are there is an issue with the download. Maybe wait a few weeks until any surge is over and try again. Or simply go to Settings, About phone, System updates, and update OTA. (I'd only do this if your phone is fully charged and you are on known good, relaible WiFi network.)

What is your current Android version, Baseband version, Kernel version and Build number? A single screenshot would be a simple way to share this info. Settings, ABout phone,scroll down, grab screen, share here.

I'm guessing you are on 4.2.2?

Unless you have a specific problem with your phone, which you know a new firmware release will address, I might not be in such a hurry to upgrade. If it an't broke...

I thought I should come back and thank those above for their advice and help abovesmile.png , and also to update people what happened in case someone else faces a similar problem.

I tried several different methods to get it to update, but I didn't go for any of those 'rooting' options as that seemed kind of scary and I couldn't see why it should be necessary. I had this niggling doubt all along about 2 things, my internet connection is slow and Kies itself was the problem.

So I decided to load Kies onto my Laptop. It loaded fine, but when I connected the USB cable to the phone up came the 'Searching Windows Update' for device drivers window, that never happened on my desktop. After Windows had successfully loaded the device drivers I started Kies. Kies reports that there is no firmware update for the phone! I got Kies to check for updates to itself and it reports that it's all up to date.

I have therefore concluded that something was wrong with my Kies installation on my desktop, whereas my (newer) laptop had no problem with it at all and that there is actually no update available. In any event I shall take lomatopo's advice above regarding "If it an't broke...!wink.png