Internet Access

username45

Hi there, I was just doing a search for satilite internet when I came across a post from a while back about Farang's living in Isan. I have been living in a small village called Na Kham which is about 50 k's from Kalasin, for the last 3 years and love it. One of the replies to the post refered to satilite internet access and I really would like to know more about it, cost etc. As here in Na Kham our phone changes to a radio transmission a few k's from home and the very best dial-up speed I can get is a mere 16800bps but mostly around 14400. OK for e-mail but a real pain in the but for browsing the net or for uploading files for my own web-site () or for the first of my commecial web-site projects for another local Farang and his Isan Resort ( ) So if anyone can give me some info on a faster internet service, I would appreciate it. Regards to all, Hugh

I dont now about the internet up there, sorry, but I would like to know how your friend Hugh is doing.

Has his bone graft mended?

I had a couple of bone grafts when I was 20 Y.O. and know how bad it can be.

All c/o a motorbike crash.

P.S. I have a connection up your way and was up there in Feb. Wappipathum.

All the best.

Hi to those who answered me and to vegimite, I am the Hugh that you refered to. At least I guess so, as I can't imagine many Hugh's in Thailand that have undregone bone grafts. Mine through an accident on my BMW motorcycle (how unusual) just outside Na Kham last March. Unfortunately I encountered a (poor - is there any other kind?) farmer and his 2 wheel tractor and trailer after dark with no lights. By the time I actually saw him, I threw the bike to the right and managed to miss hitting the trailer but. . . The irrigation pipes hanging out the back I didn't. One piece of pipe smashing through the headlight and hitting my left forearm breaking it in 2 places. For the full story go to inevitable.html Re the injury, after a total of 44 days in hospital both in Kalasin and Brisbane and 7 times in surgery things are now pretty good. I guess You must have heard of me, vegimite, so who are you? Regards, Hugh

Hi there, I was just doing a search for satilite internet when I came across a post from a while back about Farang's living in Isan. I have been living in a small village called Na Kham which is about 50 k's from Kalasin, for the last 3 years and love it. One of the replies to the post refered to satilite internet access and I really would like to know more about it, cost etc. As here in Na Kham our phone changes to a radio transmission a few k's from home and the very best dial-up speed I can get is a mere 16800bps but mostly around 14400. OK for e-mail but a real pain in the but for browsing the net or for uploading files for my own web-site (://home URL removed// or for the first of my commecial web-site projects for another local Farang and his Isan Resort (//URL removed// So if anyone can give me some info on a faster internet service, I would appreciate it. Regards to all, Hugh

IpStar is the service, as someone mentioned by CS Loxinfo. Installation is about 9000 I seem to remember. I pay 4000 a month for the higher speed option (512 ?) but there are also cheaper options. Many people have criticised the service (search the forum) but I have not had problems. I suspect quality of installation of the dish is very important, if it is not aimed well the signal will fade quickly in adverse conditions.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I was just doing a search for satilite internet

This one is even cheaper then Cs Loxinfo: http://www.ji-net.com/index.php?lang=en&pid=78

They call it StarConnext. Down- and upload is unlimited! Check it out.

I am using it now for a few weeks and no problems yet.

The modems of Cs Loxinfo broke down all the time, so we have to wait and see how this one is doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Re Sattelite ISP

'Ipstar' (broadband) is now very popular and TOT (THai telephone co) are now agents for the above.

I am running 'Ipstar' and very satisfied they have several packages, I opted for the 256 download and 128 upload. This costs me 1600 bht a month.

For intstaltion of dish cables and modem I paid 3750 bht fitting was included (This depends on where your nearset office and distance engineers travel.

I am very pleased with my set up, always connects just the odd occassion in very bad weather.

Hope this helps

macburriram

A year and four months ago I paid 8,000 baht installation and 1,600 travel expense to have Loxinfo Ipstar installed. It has gone from bad to worse and now REALLY stinks. I have no telephone line and no hope of getting one so I thought I was stuck. I originally was paying 3,000 baht per month but they lowered it to 2,500 for 256/128.

I was reading on TV that TOT also offers Ipstar. I stopped by yhe local TOT office and was VERY pleased to find out that they will install their service for 2,140 baht and no travel expense. I signed up for the 512/256 service. That costs 2,200 baht per month. 256/128 is 1,500 per month.

I enjoyed sending an email to Loxinfo telling them to cancel their shit service and to pick up their equipment. My wife also called them and before they would cancel it she had to fax a signed copy of my passport and the reason for cancellation. I had her fax the reason with my passport copy. I told them that the service is very expensive for very bad service. I also told them that I had complained many times via email and all that happened is that the service got worse.

There is a two week wait for TOT to install my service. I HOPE it is better than Loxinfo.

A year and four months ago I paid 8,000 baht installation and 1,600 travel expense to have Loxinfo Ipstar installed. It has gone from bad to worse and now REALLY stinks. I have no telephone line and no hope of getting one so I thought I was stuck. I originally was paying 3,000 baht per month but they lowered it to 2,500 for 256/128.

I was reading on TV that TOT also offers Ipstar. I stopped by yhe local TOT office and was VERY pleased to find out that they will install their service for 2,140 baht and no travel expense. I signed up for the 512/256 service. That costs 2,200 baht per month. 256/128 is 1,500 per month.

I enjoyed sending an email to Loxinfo telling them to cancel their shit service and to pick up their equipment. My wife also called them and before they would cancel it she had to fax a signed copy of my passport and the reason for cancellation. I had her fax the reason with my passport copy. I told them that the service is very expensive for very bad service. I also told them that I had complained many times via email and all that happened is that the service got worse.

There is a two week wait for TOT to install my service. I HOPE it is better than Loxinfo.

Hi,

Depending on which TOT agency does your installation will determine the quality of your reception and transmission with the Ipstar sat. I have the CSloxinfo/Ipstar never a problem (EXCEPTING when there is a large storm cell between my dish and the Satelite over the N.W. corner of Suluwesi

Island. Another problem which was that the Terminal Unit (Decoder/modem) over heated and malfunctioned - my solution was to attach 4 heat sinks to the flat side and to them 2 x 12volt computer fans to remove the collected heat from the fins - after that a cool unit = no probs.

Have photo if it will assist.

I'll keep the heat sink option in mind after I get the TOT Ipstar installed. When Loxinfo came to reposition my dish to the new satellite, they also put in a new receiver/modem. It was just as bad as it ever was. I get the normal signal strength readings from my dish so I am convinced it is positioned correctly. I could actually live with it being slow BUT when it stalls it really pisses me off.

Hi,

Depending on which TOT agency does your installation will determine the quality of your reception and transmission with the Ipstar sat. I have the CSloxinfo/Ipstar never a problem (EXCEPTING when there is a large storm cell between my dish and the Satelite over the N.W. corner of Suluwesi

Island. Another problem which was that the Terminal Unit (Decoder/modem) over heated and malfunctioned - my solution was to attach 4 heat sinks to the flat side and to them 2 x 12volt computer fans to remove the collected heat from the fins - after that a cool unit = no probs.

Have photo if it will assist.