The most dangerous countries to drive in; Thailand ranks #2

webfact

In my experience Thai drivers are much more alert and polite than Australian drivers. Of course Thai drivers do crazy things like overtaking on blind bends but everybody expects it and just pulls off to make way for them. If I drove in Australia the way I do in Thailand I would have guys tailgating me flashing their lights and making rude signs at me. In Thailand drivers are very forgiving.

On the whole Thailand major roads are well engineered and the road rules are good. Turn left with care against red traffic lights and U turns rather than Right turns are examples.

Some Australian driving conventions are downright stupid. Last week a friend of mine had an accident in the NW. The rain was so hard he couldn't see clearly and he knew their was a rest stop on the right so he decided to pull over. He signalled right and some idiot tried to overtake him as he turned and the two 4WDs collided. Nobody was hurt fortunately. The idiot said that when my friend signalled right he thought that meant "its clear to overtake me" and its true that is the convention that Ozzie truckies use. They must be out of their minds!!

In Thailand indicating right means either I am turning right or do not overtake me. Indicating left means I am turning left or it is clear to overtake. Now that is a rational convention.

Maybe you should teach Thais their own "rational conventions" as it seems the stats suggest they don't understand them well

ARTIST-----First 3 paragraphs either rubbish (2nd one in particular) or not relevant.

the last paragraph is good driving technique, positive and helpful in near all cases. Naturally the left indicator to say it's clear to overtake is ONLY an opinion, you have to double check because he may be wrong and you have a head on crash.

In the UK to flash your lights is as a rule to say you are giving them priority to turn in front of you, In Thailand you flash your lights and it means the opposite I am coming do not get in my way.

I like the Thai who flash their lights when travelling the opposite way to warn you of a police road check---good idea, and I copy this to help Thais to reduce speed prior to the Road block.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been driving in Thailand for a/b 7+ years. Also road a "chopper" in BKK. I have NEVER seen such antics on the road as here. Up here in Isaan I think it's WORSE, if that is possible. Thais' seem to just do whatever they feel like doing re: operating a motor vehicle. Hell 6 year olds operate motorbikes here.... with a band of friends hanging all over the machine as well.

The most perplexing driving habit that I observe - perhaps - is making a right hand turn from the right hand land and onto the right hand lane of the street/road they turn into. Can this maneuver be explained? I really can not understand why they think this tactic is desirable. To do this is unimaginable (to me); THEN they seem genuinely SHOCKED when a vehicle (traveling in the left lane) nearly hits them.

I could go on but you most likely know the other usual driving infractions. With NO police enforcement it can seem like utter madness/chaos. Wouldn't self preservation prompt individuals to think a/b what might get them killed, and avoid that? I don't get it. Maybe you folks with more experience can clear this up for me. If so thanks in advance.

Perhaps Buddha takes care, it might be as simple as that. This week I saw 3 kids on mini one seater4x4 off roader racing down the road, no lights in the dusk, age certainly under 10 and nearer 6 I think. The driving as you describe I see it as well, the most amazing driving techniques you could imagine, Today a truck pulled out in one of those wonderful U-Turn places, right in front of me, my fault of course that he could not wait for me to pass and that is one of the problems they cant wait, they have to be first, changing lanes, ending up in the wrong lane and then just jamming on the brakes in fron of you, I could go on but I expect nothing will change until the Police start to do the job they are paid for and motorists consider others.

Early this morning I tooted my car horn as a warning for overtaking of two motorcyclists travelling side by side and blocking the road. They pulled over and then chased me hitting the side of my car with their helmets. I do not imaging this behaviour is unique to Thailand, but its my first experience of this level of aggression when driving in many countries over many years.

Edited by simple1

I'd be an avid reader of a TV, ongoing, report-your-insane-road-experiences thread.biggrin.png

It seems that being oblivious to oblivion is a valued personality trait in the culture whether one is driving or running the country. To be happy and carefree in the face of disaster, unconcerned with the effect of one's actions on others seems to be a much valued attitude, to generalize. Or perhaps as a westerner I just couldn't possibly understand the depths of wisdom behind this whole phenomena of general heedlessness in most matters amongst at least half the people.

I have had many experiences where Thais react angrily when I simply warn them about some potential danger. One example, while trivial is just one of many, two weeks ago, my songthaew driver let us out in the middle lane of a six lane higway, couldn't be bothered to pull over. As I paid him I politely remarked that it is potentially dangerous to let people off in the middle of the road. If looks could kill.

That said, you have to wonder about how well statistics in other countries are kept. That along with the fact that Thailand is an emerging economy with more cars on the road and thus more chance for accidents makes you wonder about whether or not this study accurately reflects how bad the driving is here compared to places like India or China among other countries where human life is valued even less than it is here.

Queue the usual 'Thailand, hub of...' posts and other crap.

I have safely driven maybe three quarters of a million miles in Los between 1977 and now. There's probably some who have done even more.

Sure it would be very risky for someone who had never, driven in LOS to get behind the wheel of a car at Suvarnabhumi and drive to (say) Pai on the pre-Songkran weekend... but who on earth does that?

There's loads of stats on what kills the most foreigners in Thailand but I don't recall it being driving related. Even if we look at the very high risk motorcycle accident victim, outside the tourists spots, you don't see a lot of foreigners on 2-wheels.

I qualified in Thailand having never driven in my home country.

The queues at the Bangkok test centre were huge in the build up to Songkran - precisely because they wanted to qualify in order to make their maiden drive home (as my brother-in-law did this New Year). I even saw cars crashed in the car park with what one could only guess were unqualified drivers going to take their test.

Myself and wife have had over half a dozen knocks in our new car over the last year or so (none our responsibility). The one where I was driving I couldn't even be bothered to wait for the insurance, I graciously accepted her apology.

My family have driven all their lives at home and never had one accident, the contrast is stark (but thankfully not yet fatal).

In my experience Thai drivers are much more alert and polite than Australian drivers. Of course Thai drivers do crazy things like overtaking on blind bends but everybody expects it and just pulls off to make way for them. If I drove in Australia the way I do in Thailand I would have guys tailgating me flashing their lights and making rude signs at me. In Thailand drivers are very forgiving.

On the whole Thailand major roads are well engineered and the road rules are good. Turn left with care against red traffic lights and U turns rather than Right turns are examples.

Some Australian driving conventions are downright stupid. Last week a friend of mine had an accident in the NW. The rain was so hard he couldn't see clearly and he knew their was a rest stop on the right so he decided to pull over. He signalled right and some idiot tried to overtake him as he turned and the two 4WDs collided. Nobody was hurt fortunately. The idiot said that when my friend signalled right he thought that meant "its clear to overtake me" and its true that is the convention that Ozzie truckies use. They must be out of their minds!!

In Thailand indicating right means either I am turning right or do not overtake me. Indicating left means I am turning left or it is clear to overtake. Now that is a rational convention.

Maybe you should teach Thais their own "rational conventions" as it seems the stats suggest they don't understand them well

That is an inane and slightly insulting remark. Like many here I can only report my personal experiences.

I am not surprised at all of this 2nd place... I've never been to namibia but I think that theu really crazy, more than thais drivers ?! this should be something !

Each time I drive here i really don't believe how stupid people are, but hey^^ they have bouddhas and their car are protected by the monks, so nothing can go wrong , right ?

This is Government fault of course that really don't give a shit about people life here, this is really really SAD ! If one day police arrest people without belts, people on trucks and pickups, crazy drivers or TOO slow drivers too.. this government will never pass any election after that, so nobody will take this risk.. OF Course let them VOTE before they DIE !

Some very good points made about the validity of the stats. Readers should be wary of dubious stats. There is an excellent book that accompanied my Statistics for Social Sciences class that deals with how somebody can skew data to arrive at a particular conclusion. Perhaps that's the case here.

Valid or not.. Thailand is really a bad place for safety driving... really scary. !!!

Its very strange to me that so many people are scared of driving in Thailand and seem to feel that they are in constant danger. I have been driving here for 10 years and I enjoy it much more than driving in Australia which is so boring that the main problem is staying awake. Mind you, I mainly drive is Isaan and avoid the hell holes of Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. I have driven in Bangkok a few times which was great, if a trifle slow.

Who believes these statistics ? I don't. For sure some countries give wrong figures as others provide no figures at all.

Ever driven in Nigeria ? Lagos was my worst experience ever. BKK is so moderate and civilized compared to Lagos.

Drove in Namibia. Phantastically relaxing as you can drive for hours without meeting another vehicle.

Maldives, Fiji, Seychelles... <deleted>.

No, driving in Thailand is dangerous, no doubt, but I'm sure there are dozens of more dangerous countries than Thailand.

I drive a car here and ride a big bike and I am VERY careful on the road but there is no reason to panic.

Just don't drive in the night if you can avoid it. Better to avoid tourist places as well, as many crazy farang newbees on bikes and scooters add more danger to the Thai roads.

Some very good points made about the validity of the stats. Readers should be wary of dubious stats. There is an excellent book that accompanied my Statistics for Social Sciences class that deals with how somebody can skew data to arrive at a particular conclusion. Perhaps that's the case here.

Would you think that 26,000 deaths is about right, ??? dead at incident, or maybe stats of above 30,000 annually. ??? 80% are m/cyclists here.

Naturally we have to take into account that the government of the day does not want to give actual figures, so these figures are frightening.

I think stats should be compiled as in sections----m/cyclist---cars/pick-ups---passenger vehicles---pedestrians---a.n. other. We then could have a better idea.

But Deaths in Thailand are more than alarming. all down to policing-education-licensing authorities-etc before any headway police patrols and enforcement essential. to start to give fear into violators, fines to be paid into road funds for upkeep and education. driving schools especially for m/cyclists with L plates for 1 year. NO underage drivers--parents to take full wack for violations. All persons driving without license and insurance heavily penalized.

Just a start from me, but so much more you guys.

Many of the Thai Apologists can't handle the truth about life here. My old dog Shep used to sleep on the road- so that proves that its safe right? :)

In any event I'm seeing more and more drivers texting- while they are driving a motorbike! However, since a text driver has not run me down (as of this writing) then, don't worry Dear Readers, it is safe :)

Beam me up Scotty :)

I have safely driven maybe three quarters of a million miles in Los between 1977 and now. There's probably some who have done even more.

Sure it would be very risky for someone who had never, driven in LOS to get behind the wheel of a car at Suvarnabhumi and drive to (say) Pai on the pre-Songkran weekend... but who on earth does that?

There's loads of stats on what kills the most foreigners in Thailand but I don't recall it being driving related. Even if we look at the very high risk motorcycle accident victim, outside the tourists spots, you don't see a lot of foreigners on 2-wheels.

Its quite obvious there are "less than bright people" posting everywhere.

The stats relate to the country and people. No eduction, no sense of respect for drivers and law. So these people die on the roads.

If your not Thai, then the report is not talking about you, no matter how many years of respectful driving you have done in Thailand..

Post when they do a survey of tourists driving in Thailand... then it will make more sense and relate to the OP.... sheeesh

Many of the Thai Apologists can't handle the truth about life here. My old dog Shep used to sleep on the road- so that proves that its safe right? smile.png

In any event I'm seeing more and more drivers texting- while they are driving a motorbike! However, since a text driver has not run me down (as of this writing) then, don't worry Dear Readers, it is safe smile.png

Beam me up Scotty smile.png

Yes, using the phone whilst riding never ceases to amaze me, how dangerous is that?

Or have you seen it when some pretty, little lady is holding an umbrella with the phone between her shoulder and head having a natter whilst riding the bike? Neat trick yet a little dodgy I feel.

2nd place !!!! in the WORLD......You gotta still be happy with that!!! Its a tremendous achievement for THAI!!!

They are all upset that they are not number 1

I seem to recall before that Thailand was number three in the world for

vehicle deaths. So now they have moved into the number two spot !!!

And right now, with Namibia at 45 deaths per 100,000, and Thailand

at 44 per 100,000, I think Thailand is an easy shot to be number one.

Perhaps if the Thai " police" actually went out and enforced traffic laws

this death rate could be dropped. Instead the police set up checkpoints,

drink coffee, and fine people for no helmets or whatever else they can

dream up.....

Its quite obvious there are "less than bright people" posting everywhere.

The stats relate to the country and people. No eduction, no sense of respect for drivers and law. So these people die on the roads.

If your not Thai, then the report is not talking about you, no matter how many years of respectful driving you have done in Thailand..

Post when they do a survey of tourists driving in Thailand... then it will make more sense and relate to the OP.... sheeesh

Its so reassuring that we have the intelligentsia posting here.

Would you think that 26,000 deaths is about right, ??? dead at incident, or maybe stats of above 30,000 annually. ??? 80% are m/cyclists here.

Naturally we have to take into account that the government of the day does not want to give actual figures, so these figures are frightening.

I think stats should be compiled as in sections----m/cyclist---cars/pick-ups---passenger vehicles---pedestrians---a.n. other. We then could have a better idea.

But Deaths in Thailand are more than alarming. all down to policing-education-licensing authorities-etc before any headway police patrols and enforcement essential. to start to give fear into violators, fines to be paid into road funds for upkeep and education. driving schools especially for m/cyclists with L plates for 1 year. NO underage drivers--parents to take full wack for violations. All persons driving without license and insurance heavily penalized.

I don't know but I figure that many of us who love Thailand do so because its not a Nanny State.

Sure the road toll could be reduced by draconian road laws being enforced as we have in Western Nations.

I guess for some of us at least its a worthwhile tradeoff. To exchange the opportunity for freedom, to ride in the back of a pickup, to not wear a helmet, to have a couple of beers and drive, to believe in ghosts and be fatalistic in knowing that if something bad happens, it was going to happen anyway, for some reduction in longevity.

I would rather take some risks and die before my time than live in a claustrophobic Western society where everything is controlled to save us from ourselves. A dull restrictive place where the law cocoons us to ensure we come to no harm and in doing so takes away our freedom, our imagination and the excitement of living.

Have some guts guys and live...don't worry too much about dying.

Finally found the overall report and what strikes me is the lack of some countries, such as Lao, Cambodia, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq......and no Australia or New Zealand. Put this report in the round file.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/102731/102989.pdf

Fatality rate per 100,000 population from road crashes.
Rank Country Rate
1 Namibia 45
2 Thailand 44
3 Iran 38
4 Sudan 36
5 Swaziland 36
6 Venezuela 35
7 Congo 34
8 Malawi 32
9 Dominican Republic 32
10 Iraq 32
11 Central African Republic 32
12 Mongolia 31
13 Belize 31
14 Djibouti 30
15 Lesotho 30
16 Mozambique 30
17 Malaysia 30
18 El Salvador 29
19 Yemen 28
20 Ethiopia 28
21 Equatorial Guinea 28
22 Zambia 28
23 Guyana 27
24 Jordan 27
25 Angola 27
42 Brazil 22
44 China 22
World 18
76 India 17
82 South Korea 16
97 United States 14
110 Mexico 13
114 Argentina 12
150 Canada 8
160 Australia 7
161 France 7
168 Germany 6
169 Iceland 6
170 Singapore 6
171 Kiribati 6
172 Cook Islands 6
173 Denmark 6
174 Bosnia and Herzegovina 6
175 Macedonia 6
176 Haiti 5
177 Norway 5
178 Japan 5
179 Vanuatu 5
180 United Kingdom 5
181 Solomon Islands 5
182 Sweden 5
183 Guatemala 5
184 Switzerland 5
185 Netherlands 4
186 Antigua and Barbuda 4
187 Tonga 4
188 Israel 4
189 Marshall Islands 4
190 Fiji 4
191 Malta 3
192 Tajikistan 3
193 Maldives
Edited by khwaibah

I don't know but I figure that many of us who love Thailand do so because its not a Nanny State.

Sure the road toll could be reduced by draconian road laws being enforced as we have in Western Nations.

I guess for some of us at least its a worthwhile tradeoff. To exchange the opportunity for freedom, to ride in the back of a pickup, to not wear a helmet, to have a couple of beers and drive, to believe in ghosts and be fatalistic in knowing that if something bad happens, it was going to happen anyway, for some reduction in longevity.

I would rather take some risks and die before my time than live in a claustrophobic Western society where everything is controlled to save us from ourselves. A dull restrictive place where the law cocoons us to ensure we come to no harm and in doing so takes away our freedom, our imagination and the excitement of living.

Yeah, rock and roll. That's fine when you're in your twenties with no responsibilities and you hope you'll die before you get old etc. etc,

Trouble is most ex pats in Thailand aren't like that.... except for an embarrassing few who still behave as if they were.

Ring any bells?

I would reckon this stastistic applies to Thai's,most expats are far better drivers,i have probably through being a decent driver saved many thai lives as i can anticipate mostly just what stupid thing they are going to try next,with a thai behind the wheel,9 times out of ten an accident,and a fair percentage would have been fatal,however driving back from koh chang on the macha budda holiday was very scary,two or 3 cars that cut me up missing me by inches must have been doing 150kmh +,you have no chance against these idiots.

Yeah, rock and roll. That's fine when you're in your twenties with no responsibilities and you hope you'll die before you get old etc. etc,

Trouble is most ex pats in Thailand aren't like that.... except for an embarrassing few who still behave as if they were.

Ring any bells?

Nope, I don't hear any bells, do you? Get your ears checked for tinnitus, at your age it can be a problem.

If you love the Nanny State stay home in a Western country where its safe so you can die in sedated in a hospital bed with all your orifices filled with tubes.

At a risk of being thought of as a troll (which I am not). In my experience most ex pats in Thailand are assiduously sitting in bars and drinking themselves to death. If that rings a bell, don't blame me.

Edited by Artist

Ring any bells?

And the other % that are here that get up in the morning and swig bottles of beer all day and eve, and still believe they are the hottest stud in the world.

And the other type that dress like they are going to the bottom of the garden to the bog.

And the other % that grab a bar girl live with her spend most of his money on her just for a romp every night.

And the others that are happily married with kids---others with businesses-- but the oldsters are among the safest drivers here, the normal onesgiggle.gif

I feel safer riding a motor cycle in Thailand, than I would in Australia.

In Thailand most road users appear to be awake and generally pay attention.

In Australia the few motor bikes go unnoticed by the car drivers who drive so slowly to avoid being ticketed by a camera that they are asleep most of the time.

Incidentally trading death for life permanently in a wheelchair or other potentially awful existence never seems to show up in this type of directed statistics.

This surely is a joke post!

I feel safer riding a motor cycle in Thailand, than I would in Australia.

In Thailand most road users appear to be awake and generally pay attention.

In Australia the few motor bikes go unnoticed by the car drivers who drive so slowly to avoid being ticketed by a camera that they are asleep most of the time.

Incidentally trading death for life permanently in a wheelchair or other potentially awful existence never seems to show up in this type of directed statistics.

This surely is a joke post!

I love the second sentence " In Thailand most road users appear to be awake" cheesy.gifcheesy.gif "and generally pay attention" cheesy.gifcheesy.gif sorry but this just cracked me up, a scream. Think he means 10% ish.