Best camera phone to take good pictures at night

tlcwaterfall

My current Iphone 3gs is going to be replaced soon. I do not wish to purchase another Iphone.

I would like to buy another smartphone that has a camera that can take good pictures at nightime.

Any recommendations please on which phone to buy would be appreciated.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

Suggest you get one with a Flash ;-)

Thank you for your help.

I had already seen the seen the link you provided.

What I am looking for is some first hand experience that board members have had taking pictures at night with their camera phones.

Thank you for your help.

I had already seen the seen the link you provided.

What I am looking for is some first hand experience that board members have had taking pictures at night with their camera phones.

I have seen a friend take a picture without flash with his Nokia Lumia in a dark club, and I couldn't believe my eyes when he showed me the result.

Edited by JesseFrank

When sitting on Bang Saen beach on a clear evening a few weeks ago I took a picture of the planet Venus using my i-mobile IQXA. Zooming in on the phone, although slightly de-focused, you could clearly see the crescent shape of the planet. Impressed, one friend tried to do the same with his i-phone 5 while another tried using his Samsung S4. Both their images pixelated way before they could zoom in enough to see anything clearly.

Now, as phones, of course I'm not suggesting the IQX(A) is better than either the i-phone 5 or the Samsung S4, but the 18 megapixel camera certainly takes some beating.smile.png

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

Sure higher megapixel will have an advantage when zooming in (digital zoom), it doesn't however mean they take better quality pictures without zoom.

Nothing beats a real optical zoom lens and a larger sensor and there are a few models on a market that stand out.

My IQXA also has a double flash. I've no idea whether it works in the same way as the I-phone 5 or not but it definitely came out before the i-phone 5. Perhaps they copied I-mobile whistling.gifwhistling.gifwai2.gif

Iphone 5s has double different colour flash for mixed lighting conditions. Thats not same thing.

Guys before you start a techno-nerd debate, can we please address the OP's question? It seems, as I do, that he simply wants practical experience of pix quality - examples would be nice. If he was expecting publishable quality pix, I'm sure he would have said so and gone to the photog forum. Just decent pix is enough, as I want, because I'm in the same market. Thanks, guys.

• Like 1

Guys before you start a techno-nerd debate, can we please address the OP's question? It seems, as I do, that he simply wants practical experience of pix quality - examples would be nice. If he was expecting publishable quality pix, I'm sure he would have said so and gone to the photog forum. Just decent pix is enough, as I want, because I'm in the same market. Thanks, guys.

i already answered it. iphone 5s is a good choice.

i already answered it. iphone 5s is a good choice.

Indeed you did, and thanks for that. - I'll look into it. I'll say no more as I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

First: Nokia 1020. Second Sony Xperia Z1. All other cameraphones have tiny sensors and small aperture lenses so will struggle at night. IPhone 5 is nice all rounder but OP asked about night shots. So it's down to operating system really - if you can tolerate Windows get the Nokia, if you want Android, get the Z1. There's some reviews of the Z1 that rate it pretty average - but the reviewers just didn't use it long enough to get the best out of it and they probably did not upgrade the camera app.

I am pleased with my Z1 - and it's Songkran proof!

post-64119-13932582542752_thumb.jpg

Here's a good review of some of the best camera phones.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4485507296/shootout-sonyxperiaz1-vs-nokia1020-vs-lgg2-vs-samsunggalaxys4zoom

iFruit 5 isn't in the list, if someone's interested, they can probably search for the comparison of the iFruit 5 to any of the above phones and see where it stands.

For me it would come to what platform I prefer so Apple and Windows phones are out, of the remaining, the Samsung is a better choice, no other phone offers any real optical zoom and not many phones come with a Xenon flash.

Z1 has a terrible tft screen. Nokia 1020 is nice but windows phone lacks several apps.

Newcoming sony z2 will have a nicer camera and bigger sensor.

Nothing wrong with the screen at all. Been using mine for a couple of months and no complaints. Reviewers just seem to need to find something to pick on.... not sure that some press reviewers have even used the phone. Nokia has the best camera but Z1 is number 2 and screen is first class. Both phones are quite large though.

Note 3,

Lovely camera, mates got a note 2 and there still good

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I own a Note 3 and it's not that great in low light, can't say if it's better or worse than any other phone as I'd need to compare them side by side and I don't own any other phones now.

Also from what I've read, Note 2 got a better camera than a Note 3, better quality low light pictures.

Edited by Shurup

Z1 has a terrible tft screen. Nokia 1020 is nice but windows phone lacks several apps.

Nothing wrong with the screen at all. Been using mine for a couple of months and no complaints. Reviewers just seem to need to find something to pick on.... not sure that some press reviewers have even used the phone. Nokia has the best camera but Z1 is number 2 and screen is first class. Both phones are quite large though.

Obviously you never used an ips screen phone before. Z1 screen is terrible.

Obviously you never used an ips screen phone before. Z1 screen is terrible.

Yep - last two phones had IPS screens (I change phones too often as I like shiney new tech) and although viewing angle is better on IPS screen, video looks better on the Z1 with more natural colours.

If you like hyper real images and like to view your phone from the side - then IPS is good, if you like really sharp but a bit green, go for Samsung OLED - if you prefer more natural colours but narrower viewing angles then go for Sony.

But the OP asked about low light and not the screen - and the only two large sensor cameras are the Nokia and the Sony. I think IPhone 5 probably best all round performance and Note 3 is also good in good light, and Imobile X is surprisingly good - but for low light there's only a choice of 2.

• Like 1

Ips is not hyperreal screen. You mix it with amoled. Z1 is outdated phone and i cant recommend it.

Well every one has took that onboard ..go back to playing with ya iPhone 5s then.

I know 3 people with that phone they all love them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

No matter how well it's calibrated, it's still an overpriced phone with a 4" screen and Fruit logo on it. No matter how good is the camera (if it's any good) I personally wouldn't even look at it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

No matter how well it's calibrated, it's still an overpriced phone with a 4" screen and Fruit logo on it. No matter how good is the camera (if it's any good) I personally wouldn't even look at it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you buy phones according to screen size, Chinese just made 7" thin bezel phones, just for your taste.

You talk like Samsung sell their phones cheaper than iPhone, they don't. You just get a phone with bigger screen but with Android os, which scores less than an iPhone in almost every benchmark despite the dualcore - quadcore and 1.3 ghz - 2 (or 2.3) ghz cpu difference.

Go on with your Apple hate, if not for Apple, you would never see phones like this ever (check samsung's phone designs before Apple release iPhone)