3BB GB Download limit

Iamemjay

I've just had 3BB's 10mps connected package. The techie was at pains to inform me of the 20GB per mnth free download limit applying to the package (and "If you take the 13mps package you'll be able to have 40 GB for free."

It was the "for free" bit that caught my attention. Does this mean that if I go over the 20GB limit I will have to pay more? If so, how much per G/MB? ... or else what happens? Do they cut me off?... or Is my download speed reduced?

I asked these questions but no matter how I reworded them, all I got was puzzled looks... no satisfaction whatsoever.

So can someone here inform me of the situation?

Also, I cannot find any record of my progressive usage on the 3BB site? Am I correct that this is not provided by 3BB?

Hmm. Looking more closely at the brochure he gave me, you could very well be right - a rather poor design - quite misleading. OK. I have no idea then why he made so sure I was aware of it, but living in Thailand I have had to get used to such mysteries!

So with 3BB Broadband IS there any download "limit" or point at which your speed is throttled (especially with torrents)? (I've just escaped CAT's highly restrictive 3G plan and was hopeful of even just a little more freedom.)

SNAP

Are you sure he was not talking about 3BB Cloudbox ??

Link: http://cloudbox.3bb.co.th/

Go to the 3bb website. Sign on as a member validating your account number. You will get access to a webpage where you can get several services free such as paying your account on line, the free cloudbox storage and with some accounts IP TV online which lets you view about 50 TV channels of which about 4 are in English.

I think you get more with the 13 gb than the 10 account.

I have 3BB Broadband 13Mbps package for nearly 3 years and it is unlimited download.

Ditto, except 2 years and I get throttled.

A post I made recently:

I have 3BB ADSL.

This is what happens to me, at exactly midnight:

post-35489-0-28692200-1393074539_thumb.j

They throttle me during the day, probably because I've gone over some limit or other and then, when the new day starts, off we go again.

Maybe, Tywais, you haven't hit the download limit per day, yet?

Edit:

Or maybe it's another "Phuket thing". biggrin.png

Edited by JetsetBkk

I have 3BB Broadband 13Mbps package for nearly 3 years and it is unlimited download.

A post I made recently:

I have 3BB ADSL.

attachicon.gif3bb 4.JPG

They throttle me during the day, probably because I've gone over some limit or other and then, when the new day starts, off we go again.

Edit:

I think you may find that it is not limited through excess content but that during certain hours the limits on traffic type for PTP traffic such as torrents are relaxed.

A post I made recently:

I have 3BB ADSL.

attachicon.gif3bb 4.JPG

Edit:

I think you may find that it is not limited through excess content but that during certain hours the limits on traffic type for PTP traffic such as torrents are relaxed.

I don't think what you say is the case because whenever I turn on the desktop - eg. midday or early afternoon - my bittorrent client starts automatically, gets the latest torrents via the RSS feeds and always starts flat out, i.e. 10 to 13 Mbps.

I usually reduce the download speed to make browsing quicker - I did that today.

It is only later on in the day - late evening - that it won't download any quicker than 2 or 300 kbps, and then, magically at exactly midnight it goes flat out again.

I suppose if they throttle torrents from evening to midnight, that would fit in with your reasoning.

Quick test:

I just set the down speed of the last torrent I was downloading (the others had already finished) to "No limit" on my bittorrent client. It is now 8:30 pm and this happened:

post-35489-0-70524900-1393076147_thumb.j

So I'm not being throttled at the moment, probably because I haven't downloaded much today.

Edited by JetsetBkk

One of the providers, and I can't recall which, apparently has a clause in its Terms & Conditions that gives them the option to throttle input based on an hourly meter. It was something like if you exceeded xxGB in a given hour, the remainder of that hour would be shaped to a lower speed, but when that hour finished (I think it was a rolling hour?) your full speed would be restored until/unless you exceeded the hourly cap again.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? ISTR that I read it here on thaivisa.com, but not certain.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Believe that is True Online Ultra High Speed (DOCSIS, FTTx, VDSL?) specifically. The hourly numbers were quite high, and probably not attainable?

Every ISP here has a Fair/Acceptable Use Policy allowing them to manage their limited upstream/downstream bandwidth - on consumer lines, not business lines, which may have their own unique SLA - as they see fit. Each ISP incorporates several methods to manage bandwidth.