Esaan Tour

O.A.P TL.

Traveling through Esaan, as i have been doing for over 35yrs, i decided to do my visa at the relatively new checkpoint at Chom Chong. Pleasant enough experience with unusually nice immigration staff. On route back to Bangkok passed another new addition to this area; just before entering Prasat on the left there's a new bar called " Dirty Dan's " nice guy with a lovely wife who is at present with child. I had a real good cup of coffee and a natter, try it next time you're on the" Run ". Stayed overnite' as we often do, in Surin at a very good new hotel called the Majesti near to the bus station; that evening i asked a tuk tuk driver to show us some farang bars and after visiting some usual over priced and laim farang places we finished up in a bar near the exit road to Buri Ram, again quite a new place but offering good food/ drink at realistic prices for Thailand. They had a " killer Pool " game going on as apparently they do every Friday and we met about 10-12 guys who have formed there own motor cycle club, some have modern bikes but also we were amazed at some of the old Triumphs and BSA's that have been renovated by young Thai enthusiasts, BRILLIANT ! Even if your not into motorcycles this was one of the friendliest, fun farang bars we have found on this trip, run by a fellow Dave and his wife Oiy

Traveling through Esaan, as i have been doing for over 35yrs, i decided to do my visa at the relatively new checkpoint at Chom Chong. Pleasant enough experience with unusually nice immigration staff. On route back to Bangkok passed another new addition to this area; just before entering Prasat on the left there's a new bar called " Dirty Dan's " nice guy with a lovely wife who is at present with child. I had a real good cup of coffee and a natter, try it next time you're on the" Run ". Stayed overnite' as we often do, in Surin at a very good new hotel called the Majesti near to the bus station; that evening i asked a tuk tuk driver to show us some farang bars and after visiting some usual over priced and laim farang places we finished up in a bar near the exit road to Buri Ram, again quite a new place but offering good food/ drink at realistic prices for Thailand. They had a " killer Pool " game going on as apparently they do every Friday and we met about 10-12 guys who have formed there own motor cycle club, some have modern bikes but also we were amazed at some of the old Triumphs and BSA's that have been renovated by young Thai enthusiasts, BRILLIANT ! Even if your not into motorcycles this was one of the friendliest, fun farang bars we have found on this trip, run by a fellow Dave and his wife Oiy

35 years, and only just joined Thai Visa? I do not no where the Tuk Tuk driver took you. There are only two Farang places in Surin still open. The Farang Connection (which you would no anyway posting here) and the Sugar Cane Bistro, where you ended up. You couldn't have gone to the Farang Connection, one because it's so near the Majestic and two because their beer is very reasonable (55 for a large Chang) So that's a strange one.

35 years, and only just joined Thai Visa? I do not no where the Tuk Tuk driver took you. There are only two Farang places in Surin still open. The Farang Connection (which you would no anyway posting here) and the Sugar Cane Bistro, where you ended up. You couldn't have gone to the Farang Connection, one because it's so near the Majestic and two because their beer is very reasonable (55 for a large Chang) So that's a strange one.

You're right Jari, he didn't come here. We had no new customers on Friday. Can't think of where the driver TUK him. The Sugar Canes OK. Daves a nice guy. I send a few people up to him. Thought he was closed at the moment though. I also tell my customers about Danny's place in Prasat. Didn't know it was called Dirty Dans though.

Yes, that's right not the farang connection, we are familiar with that particular bar, and have visited it in the past past. Went to a couple of places i could proberbly not find again, one place seemed to belong to a guy called Rudy but did'nt seem to be really open, the other outside surin alittle, owner i think is German but was not there at the time. Found a nice little GoGo bar half way down Soi Cola. afraid i'm one of these old boys who has only just got my head around the internet, but thanks for your replies and welcoming me to this website.

Yes, that's right not the farang connection, we are familiar with that particular bar, and have visited it in the past past. Went to a couple of places i could proberbly not find again, one place seemed to belong to a guy called Rudy but did'nt seem to be really open, the other outside surin alittle, owner i think is German but was not there at the time. Found a nice little GoGo bar half way down Soi Cola. afraid i'm one of these old boys who has only just got my head around the internet, but thanks for your replies and welcoming me to this website.

Two good guys and good bars, both good mates of mine, they have just started a club up called the Buffalo Soldiers which i am a member, they are always looking for new bikers around Buriram Surin, last feb we all rode down to Pattaya Bike Week, good laugh and plenty of beer. looking forward to the next run, i think in August.

[. afraid i'm one of these old boys who has only just got my head around the internet, but thanks for your replies and welcoming me to this website.

Not that old to know in the dark, in a strange town that the Sugar Cane is just short of the " Buriram exit road" Not many people call it that.

By the way Rudi's has been shut for just over a year. Maybe you are that old after all.

[. afraid i'm one of these old boys who has only just got my head around the internet, but thanks for your replies and welcoming me to this website.

Not that old to know in the dark, in a strange town that the Sugar Cane is just short of the " Buriram exit road" Not many people call it that.

By the way Rudi's has been shut for just over a year. Maybe you are that old after all.

Closed or not, we enjoyed a beer in the place. Surin is not " a strange town " to us as we have been visiting this area for many years, as i said, i simply refered to the "Buri Ram exit road" as i am unfamiliar with the correct road names. I seem to detect a hint of sarcasm/antagonism in your reply, for why i have no idea, i certainly didn't sign up to this site for such things.

[ I seem to detect a hint of sarcasm/antagonism in your reply, for why i have no idea, i certainly didn't sign up to this site for such things.

Sarcasm/mickey taking...........yes. Antagonism.....................no. It's just that all us locals thought Rudi had been closed a long time. Most of us even were under the immpression he'd sold up and left town. Hav'nt seem him for an age.

No, in your original post, you gave the immpression it was your first time in Surin. Sorry if I offended you in any way. :o But now I have re-read it, I see you come here a lot.

Edited by lampard10

Two good guys and good bars, both good mates of mine, they have just started a club up called the Buffalo Soldiers which i am a member, they are always looking for new bikers around Buriram Surin, last feb we all rode down to Pattaya Bike Week, good laugh and plenty of beer. looking forward to the next run, i think in August.

Hi,

Nice to read a positive posting after some not so. Great to hear your a member of that new club in Surin, I'll need to get a bike when i settle hear, or bring mine over from the uk. I met most of the club members when i was there, played some Pool too, i guess you wern't there at the time ? I'll be back in Surin next week again and plan to rent a bike here in Pattaya so i can join there next run out to Bua Chet and then on to the Chanta Buri event later this month before i have to go home. I'm a big bike fanatic and it's good to know i can enjoy riding in TL with you guys. Do you know if they have completed there website yet, i would like to be able to chat wlth them on it; by the way are there any other members on this site ?

[ I seem to detect a hint of sarcasm/antagonism in your reply, for why i have no idea, i certainly didn't sign up to this site for such things.

Sarcasm/mickey taking...........yes. Antagonism.....................no. It's just that all us locals thought Rudi had been closed a long time. Most of us even were under the immpression he'd sold up and left town. Hav'nt seem him for an age.

No, in your original post, you gave the immpression it was your first time in Surin. Sorry if I offended you in any way. :o But now I have re-read it, I see you come here a lot.

Better to read with your glasses on next time ! ( since sarcasm is allowed, albeit the lowest form of wit. ) I will quote it for you..." stayed overnite, as we often do, in Surin...." Hope the next time you " take the mickey " out of a new member you put your brain in gear first. No offence taken.

Hi,

Nice to read a positive posting after some not so. Great to hear your a member of that new club in Surin, I'll need to get a bike when i settle hear, or bring mine over from the uk. I met most of the club members when i was there, played some Pool too, i guess you wern't there at the time ? I'll be back in Surin next week again and plan to rent a bike here in Pattaya so i can join there next run out to Bua Chet and then on to the Chanta Buri event later this month before i have to go home. I'm a big bike fanatic and it's good to know i can enjoy riding in TL with you guys. Do you know if they have completed there website yet, i would like to be able to chat wlth them on it; by the way are there any other members on this site ?

Dave from the Sugar Cane, has asked me to do his website, but at the moment back in the uk, why do you not join our club as we have just had all the patches and club logos done, i am in Buriram on the Surin road, but have had big problems in the UK so back untill August, i am also a member of riggers club in Udon called the white devils, look forward meeting for a beer one day, ask the guys they all know me, the taff from buriram.

It really interests me to hear about the old british bikes.

I have had quite a number of them, Triumphs and BSA.

Still have a BSA Thunderbolt.

I would love to know more. I wonder how they handle the heat.

We will be upcountry within the year and maybe we can swing through Surin on the way south.

Will be desperate for some farang food by then and maybe will check out the F.C.

All the best.

Hi,

Hi, I was hoping to read more about the bike touring on this thred myself. Being a confirmed biker (currently without) for many years, I can think of nothing I would rather be doing (right now!!!) than being on a good bike and exploring the Isan and Thai roads. For apprximately 18 months I rode (almost always on my own) a BMW R1100Gs localy and to Chaingmai a few times, clocking up 34,000 k's and 2,500 over one 5 day period.

Until the inevitable happened. For that story go to (URL removed)

Lets have more on bikes and riding in Thailand.

Love to ride. . .

In a car it's the dsetination.

On a bike it's the journey!

Hugh

If any of you Spicy Esarn locals are bored create a simple map of where these places are in the Surin Buriram area so that all of the rest of us can find them and waste loads of dough there when we visit.

Hi,

Hi Hugh, pity about your bike, thats a nice machine, always fancied going into cambodia doing a tour on one of those, you have done a superb right up, a credit to you, next time in essarn we all will have to get togeather for a beer.

Hi, I was hoping to read more about the bike touring on this thred myself. Being a confirmed biker (currently without) for many years, I can think of nothing I would rather be doing (right now!!!) than being on a good bike and exploring the Isan and Thai roads. For apprximately 18 months I rode (almost always on my own) a BMW R1100Gs localy and to Chaingmai a few times, clocking up 34,000 k's and 2,500 over one 5 day period.

Until the inevitable happened. For that story go to

Lets have more on bikes and riding in Thailand.

Love to ride. . .

In a car it's the dsetination.

On a bike it's the journey!

Hugh

• 4 months later...
If any of you Spicy Esarn locals are bored create a simple map of where these places are in the Surin Buriram area so that all of the rest of us can find them and waste loads of dough there when we visit.

What a good idea. The more attractions, the more attractive a place is to visit. I did not know about the place in Prasat.