Thai Competency for university local program

eyz

Hi,

I wish to take up the Thai intensive program with Chula University and wonder whether the silver/gold/platinum certificate issued at the end of the program would allow me to enrol for any university local program in Thailand, assuming I have a Bachelor degree from Australia.

I'd checked with Chula admin, but they said that the university enrollment requirement differs from uni to uni.

How does the university judge the prospective foreign students on the command of Thai language before allowing them to enrol into the program?

Or do the university accept only the Thai Competency Test result conducted by the OBEC?

Thanks and hope someone can help me out.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"I wish to take up the Thai intensive program with Chula University and wonder whether the silver/gold/platinum certificate issued at the end of the program would allow me to enrol for any university local program in Thailand, assuming I have a Bachelor degree from Australia."

By 'local program', do you mean a regular degree program taught in Thai?

Isn't that a bit unusual for someone who already has a degree?

"I'd checked with Chula admin, but they said that the university enrollment requirement differs from uni to uni."

What did they tell you about 'their' uni? They should have been able to tell you if the certificate would be honored by them. That should tell you what you want to know.

"How does the university judge the prospective foreign students on the command of Thai language before allowing them to enrol into the program?"

I'd think that doesn't come up often in most universities here. Most prospective foreign students are looking at the 'International' programs taught in English.

I think non native speakers (of English) would be required to have a TOEFL or TOEIC certificate.

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply!

"I wish to take up the Thai intensive program with Chula University and wonder whether the silver/gold/platinum certificate issued at the end of the program would allow me to enrol for any university local program in Thailand, assuming I have a Bachelor degree from Australia."

By 'local program', do you mean a regular degree program taught in Thai?

Isn't that a bit unusual for someone who already has a degree?

Yes, a regular degree program taught in Thai.

Sorry for the lack of information. In fact, my company is going to sponsor me for the course, hence there are some requirements from them. First, the course need to be conducted by a government institution and 2nd, in order for my company to be convinced that my proficiency is graded at advanced level at the end of the program, they reckon that the certificate I obtained must allow me to enrol for a regular degree program taught in Thai.

"I'd checked with Chula admin, but they said that the university enrollment requirement differs from uni to uni."

What did they tell you about 'their' uni? They should have been able to tell you if the certificate would be honored by them. That should tell you what you want to know.

Thanks, that's what I think I should do. But I guess I would need to contact the university main admission department on the enrolment criteria.

"How does the university judge the prospective foreign students on the command of Thai language before allowing them to enrol into the program?"

I'd think that doesn't come up often in most universities here. Most prospective foreign students are looking at the 'International' programs taught in English.

I think non native speakers (of English) would be required to have a TOEFL or TOEIC certificate.

Yes, there are international recognised test for English language, but not Thai. I am not sure whether the annual Thai Competency Test conducted by the OBEC, come in helpful in any case eg employment, university admission or etc.

Edited by eyz

I don't think there is a specific Thai language qualification which is required. Instead I think you just need to pass the university's entrance examination, which is of course in Thai and would test your knowledge on various subjects (Depending on the faculty you're applying to).

Although I'll try to ask some of the Chinese teachers tomorrow at work, as they both studied at Thai universities, despite it not being their native language. Neither of them studied Thai at Chula, I think they just learnt a bit of Thai in China, and then did an intensive Thai course for a few months before the start of the university term (I know MSU does this for foreign students). When they studied, they had to work EXTREMELY hard though, and they were always very critical of how much less work the Thai students did.

I'm also hoping to do the Chula course and when I've finished and moved back I Isaan, am hoping to study in Thai part time at a local Rajabhat for a diploma, masters or second bachelor degree to improve my teaching qualifications (And to further develop my Thai). I'm hoping to study the Thai course together with my gf, as then I will essentially have a full time tutor to assist me, since I do think that even if I complete the Chula course, I'll need a lot of assistance to study at a university level.

Thanks Sly. In fact, my company is going to sponsor me for doing the Thai language course in Thailand and at the end of the course, they would require my Thai language proficiency to be at the advanced level or A-NET equivalent, hence the question.

I'd corresponded with the Chula administrator that level 9 of their intensive Thai is equivalent to mor 6 or better, but again, it will depend on individual knowledge as well

I'd reserved a seat for the 11 Apr placement test, hope the situation in Bangkok would be better by then.

Thanks!