Another Reason Why We Love To Live Where We Are In Isaan......

sirchai

Yesterday the local tessaban came to our village. It was time to pay the annual land tax. I suppose in the UK it would be called Council Tax. My brother in Cornwall pays 190 GBPounds a month to have his rubbish removed weekly. My wife owns a few plots around the village (OK I paid for them). These plots total 22 rai. For these 22 rai we were charged the exorbitant sum of SIXTY BAHT. Yes folks TWO WHOLE DOLLARS!!! I do love Thailand.

• Like 1

Yesterday the local tessaban came to our village. It was time to pay the annual land tax. I suppose in the UK it would be called Council Tax. My brother in Cornwall pays 190 GBPounds a month to have his rubbish removed weekly. My wife owns a few plots around the village (OK I paid for them). These plots total 22 rai. For these 22 rai we were charged the exorbitant sum of SIXTY BAHT. Yes folks TWO WHOLE DOLLARS!!! I do love Thailand.

Do they have their rubbish collected weekly for the 60b?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

No the rubbish is not collected, but there is talk of bins being issued and a collection organized but TIT so when that will happen is anybody's guess. I guess the monies levied go towards things such as the fire service, which incidentally was needed a couple of weeks ago when one villager left a burning charcoal brazier in his kitchen and burnt half his house down. It might have been the whole house had the fire engine not arrived promptly after being called. Took under ten minutes for them to come 6 kms.

Edited by barrybankruad
  • Like 1

Nice to hear some positive things about Thailand. I am very close to moving there. Been 14 times on holidays and some extended stays when my engineering contracts were sparse. With Obamacare now being forced down our throats here in the USA, I have until August to get out of my current health care plan which is grandfathered until then. I will leave the USA if I have no other alternatives except Obamacare.

Nice to hear some positive things about Thailand. I am very close to moving there. Been 14 times on holidays and some extended stays when my engineering contracts were sparse. With Obamacare now being forced down our throats here in the USA, I have until August to get out of my current health care plan which is grandfathered until then. I will leave the USA if I have no other alternatives except Obamacare.

Obama period was my release from the country but Thailand now is way over commercialized. You might want to look at Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam or Malaysia 1st. Burma is young, Laos better than Cambodia, Vietnam has great access, beautiful & cheap. Malaysia is more expensive but with what I can buy there, I feel closer to American shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Obama period was my release from the country but Thailand now is way over commercialized. You might want to look at Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam or Malaysia 1st. Burma is young, Laos better than Cambodia, Vietnam has great access, beautiful & cheap. Malaysia is more expensive but with what I can buy there, I feel closer to American shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa

Connect Thailand

What is the standard of healthcare in those countries. For "oldies" I'd guess its inferior to Thailand?

You have to pay for your own health care in Thailand.wink.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa

Connect Thailand

What is the standard of healthcare in those countries. For "oldies" I'd guess its inferior to Thailand?

Had a long reply but deleted it, thinking about America's current healthcare policies is quite depressing. Thailand has superior healthcare at a fraction of the cost without all the BS. Can walk into an International Hospital's emergency room here & $6 to $30, but in America, just crossing the threshold/doors & registering at a nursing station without yet seeing a doctor can cost minimal $1500 to $2000. However if I were an illegal Hispanic it would be free.

• Like 1

Had a long reply but deleted it, thinking about America's current healthcare policies is quite depressing. Thailand has superior healthcare at a fraction of the cost without all the BS. Can walk into an International Hospital's emergency room here & $6 to $30, but in America, just crossing the threshold/doors & registering at a nursing station without yet seeing a doctor can cost minimal $1500 to $2000. However if I were an illegal Hispanic it would be free.

Where are you located?

I just had an infected cutting wound which needed cleaning and a little medication - I paid THB 5k in Udon last summer, a little more than $30...

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Where are you located?

I just had an infected cutting wound which needed cleaning and a little medication - I paid THB 5k in Udon last summer, a little more than $30...

Bye,

Derk

Bangkok. Just need to know when to use either the International hospitals, Thai Clinics or Government hospitals per whichever the wound. Many clinics can fix you up for a few hundred baht. However many may not understand English but can still diagnose & repair. Had a major motorbike accident in Phuket a couple years ago, almost lost an eye. I was thrown from the bike & knocked unconscious, woke up in Patong Government hospital the next day all bandaged up. After being released, my bill was slightly over 3000 bht, & that included the ambulance ride. My only issue however, but it is Thailand, that either the police or the ambulance people (more likely) robbed me of all my money, my phone & even my riding goggles.

Where are you located?

Bye,

Derk

oz893 should have written, =Going in a Goverment hospital= there the prices are really interesting and as a paying patient you get also there a bit better, faster treatment, I know what I talking about. Still recovering in Udon.1533721_658789447492684_2009153123_n.jpg

Where are you located?

Bye,

Derk

oz893 should have written, =Going in a Goverment hospital= there the prices are really interesting and as a paying patient you get also there a bit better, faster treatment, I know what I talking about. Still recovering in Udon.1533721_658789447492684_2009153123_n.jpg

Didn't say it would be pretty but it gets the job done. Healing may be longer. Though didn't answer in regards to infection, that case I'd go to either an international hospital if available (and preferable) or as I did while in Krabi with a massive bacterial infection mixed with Decompression Sickness, a Muslim English speaking clinic.

Also, in your case looking at those pictures, I'd get myself to BK ASAP & go to Samitevj or Bumrungrad. Lived out there & found even Bangkok Hospital (I believe is your only option for the international Hosp) to be insufficient compared to Bangkok & Phuket.

oz893

No, is ok now, photo 5 weeks old, was 4-5 days in big Goverment Udon Hospital,the only Falang patient wink.png cleaning was later done in my small Amphoer hospital, but the broken wrist is still not finished, nearly 7 weeks now in gypsum plastic substitute and Kirchner wires in the bones, can be seen on photo.

General anesthesia operation, an hour+ and two hands wired, including X-ray ect, 13.000 Baht.

oz893

No, is ok now, photo 5 weeks old, was 4-5 days in big Goverment Udon Hospital,the only Falang patient wink.png cleaning was later done in my small Amphoer hospital, but the broken wrist is still not finished, nearly 7 weeks now in gypsum plastic substitute and Kirchner wires in the bones, can be seen on photo.

General anesthesia operation, an hour+ and two hands wired, including X-ray ect, 13.000 Baht.

Looked rather nasty...motorcycle accident? Dog attack? Wish you well.

oz893

Motorbike accident, a Dutch guy 65, nearly deaf, I know him, changed lanes with his Pick Up on small road for no reason, I wanted a higher speed overtaking and had to break, highsider? I fell!

The guy brought me in our local clinic, but had to admit, he has no car insurance and no money either.

So, on top of my bruised and broken body, Motorbike=old, nearly a write off! My health insurance also insufficient! Only problems!whistling.gif

Your Brothers 190 pounds a month,doesn't just cover having his rubbish taken away. It's for Police Services,Fire Brigade,Ambulance Service,Council tax,and other services.No doubt you don't have these services in the village,so no need to pay for them in your village.

Where are you located?

Bye,

Derk

Didn't say it would be pretty but it gets the job done. Healing may be longer. Though didn't answer in regards to infection, that case I'd go to either an international hospital if available (and preferable) or as I did while in Krabi with a massive bacterial infection mixed with Decompression Sickness, a Muslim English speaking clinic.

It looks like both hands/arms are infected. Could be Staphylococcus Aureus, as we all got them on our skin, but once in your system, very difficult to treat.

Then you need Microbiologists to find the right medication. .I've to add, that I went through a serious bacterial infection and had almost lost my leg.

Some of these bacteria are resistant to most medicine that's being used at government hospitals. Had my unsuccessful Op here in Thailand, and had to go to Europe where they gave me this bacteria.

Takes weeks to find out which one it is and can still change.Then always blood checks and intravenous medicine Wish you best of luck.-.wai2.gif

• Like 1

oz893

Hope you'll be okay soon. -wai2.gif

• Like 2

oz893

Really very sorry to hear/read that. Please make sure that you haven't got a Staphylococcus Arius infection, a strange and very difficult to treat bacterial infection.

I caught mine in one of the best hospitals in Germany, when they gave me my artificial knee joint. The whole hospital was diseased four years ago.

Not the doctors saw what was wrong, a nurse 38 years on duty, opened my eyes. Was on the OP plan for the next day, which saved my leg from Amputation.

Wish you best of luck, makes me really sad to see your photo.

Cheers-wai2.gif

-Sirchai-

Thank you for your sympathy and concern.

I was only concerned about the slight pain of the daily dressing changes,

I had not only the knuckles open, but also some fingertips, one palm, both arms, both legs and knees.blink.png

So, at home, I let 3 days pass before I went to the local clinic, green, black and rainbow colors could be seen threw my bandages and in my wounds!

The following rubbing learned me, not to do that again!whistling.gif

Enclosed a photo from just now. It could be worth.wink.png10002889_675307609174201_1999230949_n.jp

You do need health insurance in Thailand if you're young enough to even get it. Even then they don't cover pre-existing conditions.

If you had a really bad motorcycle accident with major, major injuries, you could see a bill as much as $100,000 USD if you survived.

• Like 1

-Sirchai-

Thank you for your sympathy and concern.

I was only concerned about the slight pain of the daily dressing changes,

I had not only the knuckles open, but also some fingertips, one palm, both arms, both legs and knees.blink.png

So, at home, I let 3 days pass before I went to the local clinic, green, black and rainbow colors could be seen threw my bandages and in my wounds!

The following rubbing learned me, not to do that again!whistling.gif

Enclosed a photo from just now. It could be worth.wink.png10002889_675307609174201_1999230949_n.jp

Good to see that you don't seem to have an infection. I know where you're going through. Did the guy who caused the crash even come by and tried to help you?

Almost deaf? Foreigner hits foreigner and doesn't even have an insurance. Sorry, but that's insane. Doesn't he have family somewhere?

Wish you the best, forget the rest.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

oz893

Motorbike accident, a Dutch guy 65, nearly deaf, I know him, changed lanes with his Pick Up on small road for no reason, I wanted a higher speed overtaking and had to break, highsider? I fell!

The guy brought me in our local clinic, but had to admit, he has no car insurance and no money either.

So, on top of my bruised and broken body, Motorbike=old, nearly a write off! My health insurance also insufficient! Only problems!whistling.gif[/quote

Another good reason not to ride motorbikes in Thailand I can almost feel the pain in those pics. ouch

• Like 1

Your Brothers 190 pounds a month,doesn't just cover having his rubbish taken away. It's for Police Services,Fire Brigade,Ambulance Service,Council tax,and other services.No doubt you don't have these services in the village,so no need to pay for them in your village.

And don't forget the REALLY important services that the £190 a month pays for.

The bloated council hierarchy.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=5f0c0486-3d21-44cf-b6e6-de5f6fd6627d&version=-1

Not totalled the figures but it looks to be in the region of £2,000,000. Not bad shared between 24 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And don't forget the REALLY important services that the £190 a month pays for.

The bloated council hierarchy.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=5f0c0486-3d21-44cf-b6e6-de5f6fd6627d&version=-1

Not totalled the figures but it looks to be in the region of £2,000,000. Not bad shared between 24 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your link doesn't open!

A friend of mine was the Town Clerk in Penzance for many years. He earned what he himself called an 'obscene' salary. He was able to purchase a beautiful cottage overlooking St Michaels Mount. He was able to take a years sabbatical when he came to Thailand to learn Thai and he also married a Thai lady from Chiang Mai. He was able to retire after 20 years (he's not yet 60) on a huge pension. Spends his time between Thailand and the UK.

I know there's corruption here and that 20 baht of the 60 baht I paid will probably be wrongly appropriated, but that pales into insignificance when compared to what my friend has told me about what goes on in the Penzance City Council.