Need to learn about scooters

davenjeip

Wife and I are growing tired of depending on family for transportation in Bangkok. It's becoming a hassle for not just us, but on them as well. So, we've decided to buy a scooter to use for short trips locally.

Problem is that I know next to nothing about them, other than a few basics. Resources seem to be either in Thai or very limited. I really need a way to see what's on the market now and a way to compare between them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This forum is your best source. But as a place to start, I can give a few words on a few of the popular models: You probably want a full auto, so don't get a Dream or Wave. the Icon and Mio are smallest and not suitable for average sized farang. The Click is the most popular with the Thai's, but at 183cm my knees hit the handlebars when I turn. I have to sit on the back seat, Fino and Scoopy are middle sized with retro styling. The Airblade is a bit bigger and my favorite. Then there are the newer generation PCX150's that are very popular with farangs due to size and increased power.

I could live with shifting gears, but an auto would be better.

Height isn't much of an issue, since I'm as short as most Thai's at only 5'6". Weight might be more of an issue. I'm close to 200 pounds (90 kilo) and would almost always have my wife on the back at an additional 100 pounds (45 kilo).

We are looking to keep costs under 50,000 THB, so I think that rules out the PCX.

We both like the styling of the Fino and Scoopy (if it doesn't have all those crazy stickers on it) but are not so attached to them that we'd go for styling if there is something that much better available at that price.

If less than 50 k, you can check second hand models. A pcx 150 is going for around 50 k and click 125 which is a good choice for your size goes for 30 k second hand.

If you would like to buy new, consider honda wave 110 or 125 cc too.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It would be new. Too many unknowns in a used model that, with such a small price difference, it doesn't seem worth it.

Besides, it will only be used three months a year and only locally, with just an occasional trip by family to keep battery charged. We figure that if we start with something good and keep it maintained, with its light usage it will last for a really long time.

Will you be shopping? Flat floor is better for that and some have a hook for hanging shopping on.

Will you be riding together? Larger engine is better for that so 125 and up.

If riding two up some are more comfortable for the rear seat passenger than others because of placement of the rear foot pegs so you and/or your wife need to sit on the back for a few minutes.

As you are in Bangkok, alloy wheels seem to get less punctures than spoked wheels.

Otherwise they are largely all the same except colours or styling. Honda is the most popular, Then Yamaha, then....

That's probably about it. Go to the largest dealer nearest to where you live and have a look. Or start paying attention to what the motorbike taxi guys ride especially to ascertain which model is the most comfortable for the pillion rider.

Sign up for Honda rider course if you are new to bike/scooter. It is run at Honda Bang-Na. Yamaha may also have one?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I think bikes are more stable and therefore more traffic friendly than scooters, "being astride is better than legs together" as the actress said to the bishop. The are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run too (I regularly get 200mpg mixed riding), they have gears but and auto clutch, so very forgiving so will take 1 second longer to learn to ride.

You will get loads of change from 50k, I believe the Suzuki is cheapest at about 35k brand new, all in. Even the Wave is still only 43k and that went up a lot recently.

Kick start is a good idea on a small bike, no worries about flat batteries then.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 2

with just an occasional trip by family to keep battery charged.

Those words have probably doomed more scooters to the premature boneyard than any other single cause...

BTW, if you have your heart set on a new one, by all means- buy a new one.

But otherwise, don't discount the possibility of buying a very nice used one from a foreigner going home and liquidating. That's how I bought my Fino, with 6000 km on it for about half the price of a new one- a lady was repatriating and was selling out all her belongings that she couldn't take on the plane. Took me 3 months of watching the ads, but I was picky.

I'm glad I bought it that way, because I don't feel so bad that it (BKK traffic, actually) scares the beejeezus out of me and stays parked 6.95 days a week- to be taken around the block once a week to keep it oiled up and the battery charged. I can still sell it for what I paid for it. If I had bought new, I'd be looking at taking a big depreciation hit. So far, in 2 years of once a week, I haven't had a single problem other than charging the battery when I forget to take it out for a few weekends straight.

Point being, you can buy one for you and one for the wifee for not much more than buying a new one- and your weight issue disappears.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Pity you can't afford a PCX150. They have a higher load rating, about 190kg, so you have some margin to carry luggage. They are more economical than a FI Scoopy....which we have for the daughter. There's a new model about a month away and it looks good. Little scooters are just not in the same league.

Nouvo SX, 58K new, 42K 1 year slightly used.

~50K for Wave new...can't go wrong.

Honda Click, sure.

They are all good.

ThaiVisa, BahtSold, Craigslist.

Also, like AllanB said but most e-starts have a kick-start mode too for back-up.

Edited by papa al

I hate full Autos because you put your feet in front of you, where as a semi auto like a Dream/Wave feels more like a bicycle, I also like that they're narrower and easy to split traffic with. Though after switching to a bigger bike, I would want to put wider tires on any scooter, they just feel wobbly to me now!

The other thing to consider in Thailand..."potholes and drains", so big wheels are better than small, so again Wave, or similar. Someone mentioned putting shopping on the floor, I personally hate that idea especially in heavy traffic, get a basket for the front and buy a rucksack.

Scooters are stylish and nothing more......

You said "short trips" so PCX is no good, too big and cumbersome.

Difficult, for the two of you I would say the pcx with a top box if you want to do shopping.

I love my click, spoke wheels and never had an puncture in Bkk neighter any other problems, great scoot and loads of shopping space with the hook and under the seat so that would be my choice.

maybe you could consider a nouvo sx because of the double rear shocks but I dont have experience with those ones.

Best 2 new (aside from PCX):

1. Yamaha Nuovo SX

2. Suzuki Hayate

I was using rental bikes for all my holiday stays in Thailand - for more than 20x years and decided to buy one, also because the prices of rental bikes here in Koh Chang are inacceptable.

I really loved the design of the PCX, but after riding it I felt I would miss the flat floor too much and also it rides a bit more bulky than the lighter weight bikes. At teh end, I had

Yamaha Mio 125 i

Suzuki Skydrive 125 i

Honda Click 125i

went to some dealers in Bangkok and then I luckily found a 2nd hand Suzuki Skydrive from an Iranian "student" at craigslist. I checked it out and went to a workshop to dismantle the roller weights. As they looked like new, I fixed the deal.

Normally if they fake the milage, they forget to change the roller weights which also show a consumption and dismantling takes just a few minutes.

It is a June 2013 model, just 2.200 kms on it and it was for less than 25k.

Everybody has got his own favors, you shoudl check out the market - if you are patient you might be lucky with a great deal just like me.

Pity you can't afford a PCX150. They have a higher load rating, about 190kg, so you have some margin to carry luggage. They are more economical than a FI Scoopy....which we have for the daughter. There's a new model about a month away and it looks good. Little scooters are just not in the same league.

Well said, BSJ.....

The PCX is the daddy....

Top box and a hook on the handle bars.....sorted....

post-95864-0-21709700-1393429435_thumb.j

Edited by properperson