Not Stamped out of Country

Your passport would have been scanned at departure from OZ if its a bio passport Australia do not stamp you out unless you do not have a bio passport

Australia has also done away with visa stickers, unless they are requested and paid for (at a cost of $75). The visa is tied electronically to your passport number.

All this is a shame if you ask me. Stamps and visas make very nice trip souvenirs, and as more countries abandon them we'll miss thumbing through our passports and recalling all the trips we've made as we look at the stamps.

Not having stamps can also cause the kind of confusion that the OP encountered, and makes it hard to keep an accurate record of time spent in a country for tax and immigration purposes.

Australia still stamps foreigner's passports though, just that it doesn't issue visa stickers anymore. Only Australian citizens don't get their passports stamped.

With more and more things becoming done electronically, online or otherwise doing away with paper, one begins to wonder if the death of the paper passport is imminent, at least where Australia is concerned?

Your passport would have been scanned at departure from OZ if its a bio passport Australia do not stamp you out unless you do not have a bio passport

Australia has also done away with visa stickers, unless they are requested and paid for (at a cost of $75). The visa is tied electronically to your passport number.

All this is a shame if you ask me. Stamps and visas make very nice trip souvenirs, and as more countries abandon them we'll miss thumbing through our passports and recalling all the trips we've made as we look at the stamps.

Not having stamps can also cause the kind of confusion that the OP encountered, and makes it hard to keep an accurate record of time spent in a country for tax and immigration purposes.

Australia still stamps foreigner's passports though, just that it doesn't issue visa stickers anymore. Only Australian citizens don't get their passports stamped.

With more and more things becoming done electronically, online or otherwise doing away with paper, one begins to wonder if the death of the paper passport is imminent, at least where Australia is concerned?

yep last time I was in perth not long ago was talk of passport into d licence and then just scan

As others have posted your Australian passport when departing Australia is not stamped and also on arrival, however if you want a stamp or think you need one you will be given one on request. I have entered many countries including Thailand for years without departure stamp in my Australian passport.

• Like 1

As others have posted your Australian passport when departing Australia is not stamped and also on arrival, however if you want a stamp or think you need one you will be given one on request. I have entered many countries including Thailand for years without departure stamp in my Australian passport.

UK won't stamp even if you ask for it.

For me, and others like me who travel regularly it is certainly not a shame, I get through on average a new passport every thirty months. It annoys me greatly when many countries take a whole page to plonk a visa

Cambodia take a full page then you have to stick it back in when it falls out.

Too bad they don't use a quality glue

• Like 2

fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

if you have a valid travel document and you comply with Thai entry regulations, I do not understand why the Thai Immigration need to know where you came from

This, to me, seems like a made up story, for a start you present Thai immigration with an arrival card, secondly, does the Op seriously expect us to believe, if asked where he came from, that he then went through his passport and noticed NO departure stamp, there was nothing, in the Ops story to indicate Thai immigration asked for any proof, where he came from. A made up story by someone with far too much spare time and almost a month after it supposably happened.

Edited by Rorri

For me, and others like me who travel regularly it is certainly not a shame, I get through on average a new passport every thirty months. It annoys me greatly when many countries take a whole page to plonk a visa

I couldn't agree more I would rather my passport lasted longer, I can remember where I've been but I can't allways recall where my old passports are

My wife and I will be going to Thailand (from Australia) in a couple of weeks time and returning in about six months. I will be travelling on an Australian and therefore do not expect to have any problems as I have been travelling back and forth to Thailand for the past 4 years. My wife however will be travelling on a Thai Passport with a permanent residence visa for Australia and in her Thai family name. Her Passport will expire while we are in Thailand and she will have to get a new Passport, that in itself will not cause any problems as she would present her past and present passports. Now the possible problems begin - we were thinking of getting her new Passport in her married name but do not know if this would present problems,

Any advise please

Your wife must be reigistered on a houseold book in Thailand in order to recieve a passport in Thailand.

A new passport in her married name should be no problem, upon proof she is married to you. (register the marriage in Thailand).

Oz immirgaiton will be aware of the marriage and understand the change of name I presume. Make sure the permanent residnecy visa in the old paspsort is not invalidated, only the passport itself.

if you have a valid travel document and you comply with Thai entry regulations, I do not understand why the Thai Immigration need to know where you came from

This, to me, seems like a made up story, for a start you present Thai immigration with an arrival card, secondly, does the Op seriously expect us to believe, if asked where he came from, that he then went through his passport and noticed NO departure stamp, there was nothing, in the Ops story to indicate Thai immigration asked for any proof, where he came from. A made up story by someone with far too much spare time and almost a month after it supposably happened.

Lets read the ops post again Rorri:

"Last month I arrived in Bkk and didn't notice I hadn't been stamped out of Australia until Immigration in Bkk asked me where I arrived from? Is this an error I need to attend to asap or just leave it as is."

It appears that its actually you with too much time on his hands , and you spend that time making up things that nobody has written.

Yes , I believe an Immigration officer possibly asked where the op had flown from as it has happened to me on more than one occasion. (How is the op supposed to prove that BTW?)

It may surprise you to know that in response I didnt say , "Look at my Arrival card you idiot !"

fvw53 should understand that also.I would suggest he ask Thai Immigration directly why they want to make small talk sometimes .

But Rorri would benefit from a return to school. Im sure there are Kindy classes available somewhere....

• Like 2

Bio Passport or not, most countries will not 'stamp you out' if you are holder of their country's passport/citizen. The fact is that your passport is scanned at the time of check-in and your departure is noted. The fact that you may change your mind and not get on the plane is irrelevant. The proof that you had left will be shown by the entry-stamp you received at your destination and your return when you go through passport control when you get home. This is true for the US, Australia certainly as well as others.

zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:
Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:
fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

Lets read the ops post again Rorri:

"Last month I arrived in Bkk and didn't notice I hadn't been stamped out of Australia until Immigration in Bkk asked me where I arrived from? Is this an error I need to attend to asap or just leave it as is."

It appears that its actually you with too much time on his hands , and you spend that time making up things that nobody has written.

Yes , I believe an Immigration officer possibly asked where the op had flown from as it has happened to me on more than one occasion. (How is the op supposed to prove that BTW?)

It may surprise you to know that in response I didnt say , "Look at my Arrival card you idiot !"

fvw53 should understand that also.I would suggest he ask Thai Immigration directly why they want to make small talk sometimes .

But Rorri would benefit from a return to school. Im sure there are Kindy classes available somewhere....

Perhaps you need to re-read what I said, immigration did NOT ask for proof, simply asked where he arrived from. Is that so hard for you to understand? As, if you can read, many others have stated, many do NOT have departure stamps, from their home country. You also conveniently missed the fact it is now a month after this was supposed to happen. As for how is the Op supposed to prove where he has flown from... it's called the flight number, once again on the arrival card, or the Ops "boarding pass" duhhh. and if that's not enough then immigration can always check the passenger manifest.

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1

Bio Passport or not, most countries will not 'stamp you out' if you are holder of their country's passport/citizen. The fact is that your passport is scanned at the time of check-in and your departure is noted. The fact that you may change your mind and not get on the plane is irrelevant. The proof that you had left will be shown by the entry-stamp you received at your destination and your return when you go through passport control when you get home. This is true for the US, Australia certainly as well as others.

That's true - many countries have now phased out stamping of their own citizen's passports, but I've noticed that in most developing countries, even citizens still get their passports stamped upon arrival/exiting their own country. For example, Vietnamese citizens get stamps placed in the rear pages of their passports. Thais still get stamped in/out if they don't use the automatic gates at Suvarnabhumi airport. At all land borders and anytime they don't use the automatic gates, passports continue to be stamped (which is a mistake I think, but Thai officials love those rubber stamps).

In all the times that I have arrived in TL I cannot recall an immigration officer EVER speaking one word to me.

That's right, they're not the friendliest bunch (unlike Cambodian and Myanmar immigration, for example. Hell even Chinese immigration can be quite friendly in my experience!)

About the only times Thai immigration officers have talked to me is when coming back from Myanmar on overland journeys (mostly at Mae Sot) or at remote crossings such as Tha Li in Loei province (where I also came with a car) and they would like to clarify something, or when they see I've written my address in Thai to which there is usually a lot of delight, something like that. Junior immigration officials or those working at remote crossings can be quite friendly but more senior ones or those stationed at ports where there are lots of foreigners can be rather surly.