Not Stamped out of Country

The fact that Australia does not stamp you in or out is a problem. I my case I have a resident Visa for life provided I return within 3 years. Leaving Bangkok recently I was refused boarding as they could not find the stamp from my last visit, fortunately I found an entry stamp to Thailand with the arriving flight marked on it and with some reluctance they accepted it and checked me in.

All Australian visa are easily checked on line.

The database is available to the check in clerks I believe.

1000 % correct the checking clerks can check the database you should have ask for a supervisor but I am afraid this is the 21st century get used to it

Thailand is the Hub of Rubber Stamps and Pointless Meetings,bet they wont ever go Stamp-less.

Don't forget the important Immigration officer's signature that goes with the visa and adds on precious seconds to each processing time. They haven't changed much since they first started issuing visas in 1927.

fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

if you have a valid travel document and you comply with Thai entry regulations, I do not understand why the Thai Immigration need to know where you came from

This, to me, seems like a made up story, for a start you present Thai immigration with an arrival card, secondly, does the Op seriously expect us to believe, if asked where he came from, that he then went through his passport and noticed NO departure stamp, there was nothing, in the Ops story to indicate Thai immigration asked for any proof, where he came from. A made up story by someone with far too much spare time and almost a month after it supposably happened.

A good lesson in manners would go a long way here and keep up with a flow of helpful info, Rorri.

Whatever you may feel the OP's post to be is not of your concern and to attempt to judge him is not your place.

He was merely asking for advice and that is what this Forum is all about!

Neither is it my place to correct you, but I'm stating it anyway.

Here is a quote from Immigration and Border Response website

Note: The Australian Government no longer provides a Port and Date Stamp in travellers’ passports on departure from Australia without a request. If you need a stamp in your passport, you must ask the Customs officer when you depart Australia.

https://www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/border-security/air/airport.htm

zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:zaZa9, on 26 Feb 2014 - 12:12, said:
Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:
fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

if you have a valid travel document and you comply with Thai entry regulations, I do not understand why the Thai Immigration need to know where you came from

This, to me, seems like a made up story, for a start you present Thai immigration with an arrival card, secondly, does the Op seriously expect us to believe, if asked where he came from, that he then went through his passport and noticed NO departure stamp, there was nothing, in the Ops story to indicate Thai immigration asked for any proof, where he came from. A made up story by someone with far too much spare time and almost a month after it supposably happened.

Lets read the ops post again Rorri:

"Last month I arrived in Bkk and didn't notice I hadn't been stamped out of Australia until Immigration in Bkk asked me where I arrived from? Is this an error I need to attend to asap or just leave it as is."

It appears that its actually you with too much time on his hands , and you spend that time making up things that nobody has written.

Yes , I believe an Immigration officer possibly asked where the op had flown from as it has happened to me on more than one occasion. (How is the op supposed to prove that BTW?)

It may surprise you to know that in response I didnt say , "Look at my Arrival card you idiot !"

fvw53 should understand that also.I would suggest he ask Thai Immigration directly why they want to make small talk sometimes .

But Rorri would benefit from a return to school. Im sure there are Kindy classes available somewhere....

Perhaps you need to re-read what I said, immigration did NOT ask for proof, simply asked where he arrived from. Is that so hard for you to understand? As, if you can read, many others have stated, many do NOT have departure stamps, from their home country. You also conveniently missed the fact it is now a month after this was supposed to happen. As for how is the Op supposed to prove where he has flown from... it's called the flight number, once again on the arrival card, or the Ops "boarding pass" duhhh. and if that's not enough then immigration can always check the passenger manifest.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that this might happen? It's perfectly believable that an immigration offer would ask where you had just arrived from and not ask for proof when you answer. As the poster who responded to you previously pointed out, it seems to be you that has too much time on his hands, not the OP

Bio Passport or not, most countries will not 'stamp you out' if you are holder of their country's passport/citizen. The fact is that your passport is scanned at the time of check-in and your departure is noted. The fact that you may change your mind and not get on the plane is irrelevant. The proof that you had left will be shown by the entry-stamp you received at your destination and your return when you go through passport control when you get home. This is true for the US, Australia certainly as well as others.

We are the exception to this though. We did the Kangaroo route 11 times in 19 years. We hold both UK and Australian passports. UK phased out stamps about a year before Aus, I'd say close to 20 years ago, followed a couple of years later by Aus. 8 times, we left Melbourne for a 3 or 4 week trip. We weren't stamped out on our Aus passports and entered and left Heathrow or Manchester on our UK passports, which also weren't stamped in or out. I suppose were were in some other dimension as we seemingly ceased to exist for a few weeks had Australian immigration chosen to look at it that way or a year or so by UK immigration. They're pretty sensible though, and we were never once asked where we'd arrived from or were going.

I'm sure that both countries are very accustomed to migrants being back in the motherland for holidays.

fishhooks, on 27 Feb 2014 - 21:44, said:
Rorri, on 26 Feb 2014 - 11:43, said:
fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:fvw53, on 26 Feb 2014 - 10:35, said:

A good lesson in manners would go a long way here and keep up with a flow of helpful info, Rorri.

Whatever you may feel the OP's post to be is not of your concern and to attempt to judge him is not your place.

He was merely asking for advice and that is what this Forum is all about!

Neither is it my place to correct you, but I'm stating it anyway.

Then get busy replying to ALL others who believe this to be a fake. But really, why did you need to reply, is the OP an friend. As for manners, you should mind your own business, no one actually asked you to reply. You also need to know exactly what "manners" means... the way that a person normally behaves especially while with other people. Clear your use of the word is incorrect.

This might lead to an interesting question (to me at least). Where do visa run "commuters" stand ?

Bear with me

A) 1) I book a flight

2) I get an exit stamp from Thailamd

3) I board the plane, I arrive at my destination ( e.g KL or Singapore)

4) I go through ( and back again ) local immigration: passport stamped

5) I fly back to Bangkok

6) I go through Thai immigration

7) End of the story

B) 1) I book a flight

2) I get an exit stamp from Thailand

3) I board the plane, I arrive at my destination ( e.g KL or Singapore)

4) I do not go through local immigration / or my passport is not stamped by the immigration

5) I fly back to Bangkok as in transit

6) I go through Thai immigration

7) End of the story

C) 1) I book a flight

2) I get an exit stamp from Thailand

3) I do not board the plane

4) I go back through immigration

5) I am denied entry because I cannot justify of my port of origin ( well I wouldn't risk lying on that one, would I)

6) End of the story

Meaning that, as there is no entry/exit stamp in the passport a quick round trip is feasible without the hassles of going through immigration ( outside of Thailand ), the point being "to leave the country"

(Edited: since I have started posting on TV I have never been able to put a smiley.....and now there is one appearing instead of the B) . When I edit the post, the smiley is not there and the B) is back. If it stays just know that it was not intended)

Edited again....I have got three of them now....how silly I am , it is when I write B followed by ) , isn't ?

Edited by alyx

Enlightened Vietnam has done away with the arrival/departure cards that were almost identical in format to Thailand's. Nowadays there is one question that they ask of each and every arriving passenger: "What is your arrival flight number?"

I think that in reality, that is the only relevant information contained on a Thai arrival card.

Edited by Dork

The US does not have departure immigration checks so there is not a stamp for anybody. US citizens do not get stamped into the country either.

We get stamped in, at jfk and ewr at least. And even though the stamp isn't overly large, they love to put it in just the wrong spot so it takes up too much space and discourages other stamps on the same page.

-*I typed this myself*-

The US does not have departure immigration checks so there is not a stamp for anybody. US citizens do not get stamped into the country either.

We get stamped in, at jfk and ewr at least. And even though the stamp isn't overly large, they love to put it in just the wrong spot so it takes up too much space and discourages other stamps on the same page.

-*I typed this myself*-

I have two old 10 year US passports that don't have any stamps in them. I think the last I got in an older passport was in the early 90's. I have not made an entry for 7 years so they could of started stamping them again though.