Thai army chief cautions nation may 'collapse' as violence escalates

george

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be for shortage of generals

"The Thai military now has more than 1,750 flag officers (generals and admirals), a bloated number for a military of its size. Many of these officers - perhaps most - do not perform duties commensurate with their rank and many literally have no job at all. What they do have, however, is the rank, high salary and status among the rank and file that comes with the position of a flag officer

In 2011 USA withbases worlwide a war in Afghanistan managed to struggle by with 312,

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/5920:the-pentagons-biggest-overrun-way-too-many-generals

Booming happy safe Costa Rica has none but does have democracy coffee that is not three in one sadly it hasn't managed how to rent its daughters to old foreigners or become a hub of scams

A country that has not fought a war in living memory has twice as many generals as public libraries

http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/assets/files/030219a.pdf

The fact that it has chosen to stand back so far is remarkabe achievement.

The forced retirements started last year. The glut of flag and field officers are due in part to the circumstances of the 60's and 70's, when Thailand's standing army was considerably larger and there was more than one officers' academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

You can't blame only one side.

On the PTP side, they could have diffused the Thaksin connection controversy by simply divorcing themselves to a greater degree from Thaksin.

Does the PM have to be a close relative or an obvious puppet?

Thaksin has been MASSIVELY DIVISIVE for this country.

I also agree the opposition side is not pro democratic.

But how any westerner loves EITHER side is beyond me!

But how any westerner loves EITHER side is beyond me!

Me too!

Thaksin has been massively divisive but you can't just blame one side for that either.

• Like 1

A coup seems to be the only way forward! The two squabbling kids need a good hard slap!

A coup is definitely not the way forward.

The army are completely hamstrung by the present situation.

They fear that if they leave the barracks that they may face a very real insurgency that they may not be able to control.

The reference to to not wanting to "have to fight Thai people" pretty much confirms this.

This latest statement is possibly directed more at PDRC rather than RS/UDD.

I wouldn't be totally surprised (after much deal making and hand-ringing) to see the Army coming out in support of the Government.

I doubt very much the army are hamstrung, they are rightly wary of the international implications, the internal matters will be dealt with swiftly and ruthlessly, Taksins thugs would evaporate overnight once they realise the money tap has been turned off. As per the last coup, there will be flowers and smiles on the streets in response. The key to the next coup is taking out the shins properly.

I would be very surprised to see flowers and smiles this time round.

The dynamic of the current situation bears little resemblance to 2006 or 2010

The Army would have come out already if it was able to reach consensus internally but clearly it has not.

There are far to many variables this time for it to confidently act "swiftly and ruthlessly" and any attempt to do so may quite possibly precipitate a full blown civil war.

The Army has good reason to fear such an outcome as it could ultimately compromise it's historically privileged position.

• Like 1

This is not rocket science. There will be a military coup. Then the generals will eventually fight it out as greed and power is too tempting for them to sit idol and watch others around them reap the benefits of long term control, and there will simply be too many chefs in the kitchen.

There will be a coup and in 2-years the other side will be on the street and the powers that be will cave to their wishes and so on and so on ... nothing will change until people accept election results and let their terms play out or use the courts and political process and not holding areas of a city hostage. I say this as somebody who firmly believes no leader should be able to hold their post if they are in ongoing communications with a wanted criminal ... especially one who is trying to influence Thai policy while in exile.

Forget all the BS about vote buying in the north, all sides can and do give bribes. I think very highly of Abhisit but he blew it by not doing more for the people in the north to show them his party is truly the one who is going to make their lives better in the long run.

No matter what people think about Thaksin, the coup of 2006 has turned out to be the worst decision in modern Thai history.

But hindsight is 20/20 unfortunately.

• Like 2

There will be a coup and in 2-years the other side will be on the street and the powers that be will cave to their wishes and so on and so on ... nothing will change until people accept election results and let their terms play out or use the courts and political process and not holding areas of a city hostage. I say this as somebody who firmly believes no leader should be able to hold their post if they are in ongoing communications with a wanted criminal ... especially one who is trying to influence Thai policy while in exile.

Forget all the BS about vote buying in the north, all sides can and do give bribes. I think very highly of Abhisit but he blew it by not doing more for the people in the north to show them his party is truly the one who is going to make their lives better in the long run.

No matter what people think about Thaksin, the coup of 2006 has turned out to be the worst decision in modern Thai history.

I don't think it was.

If they hadn't gotten rid of him, he would consolidated his power and right now, he probably would control the judiciary and the military also. That's everyone. And then Thailand would have joined the ranks of the Phillipines, Zimbabwe, Russia, South Sudan, among others. Countries who voted a dictator into power. This country would have been so screwed up. Scary thing is, there's still a chance of that happening if the Shinawatras get their way.

But, they haven't got rid of him.

That's part of my point.

I think people exaggerate Thaksin's aspirations, sometimes comparing him to the likes of Hitler.

He didn't need to control everything, as he already had the strongest democratic mandate in Thai history! (AFAIK)

I don't think anyone could argue that the military doesn't need some sort of stronger regulation and not have so much power also.

Edited by HD 205
  • Like 1

While he clearly had his faults and believe his goal was to be the ultimate life long leader of Thailand there would have been much less ugly ways to deal with the issue. Not to mention, he did a lot for folks in Bangkok during his time including the MRT and new Airport. Most of these people who get overly passionate and go from not wanting to kill a bug to cheering when a cop is blown up are not really effected directly much at all by which side is in power. Although I think the rice scam was bad, I actually can relate to the people in the North being more passionate as many more are directly impacted by who is in power (many free handouts vs. not so many).

I am just not sure anything can really change when closing down roads and things like hate speech and storming or blocking access to government buildings can be considered peaceful way of protesting and is often rewarded, especially when it goes on for weeks or months. On the other hand, I don't think the heavy handed tactics used in some places in the west to silence protesters is right either. Has to be somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2

I don't think it was.

If they hadn't gotten rid of him, he would consolidated his power and right now, he probably would control the judiciary and the military also. That's everyone. And then Thailand would have joined the ranks of the Phillipines, Zimbabwe, Russia, South Sudan, among others. Countries who voted a dictator into power. This country would have been so screwed up. Scary thing is, there's still a chance of that happening if the Shinawatras get their way.

That's part of my point.

Well if that's the problem with bloodless coups unfortunately.

Besides the implication of wishing death upon the man (little extreme!) - I don't think they should've gotten rid of him by coup at all.

They got rid of him by coup because they knew his party would win again in the election, that's why the coup was staged just a couple of months before the confirmed general election was to take place.

That's corruption.

I don't think it was.

That's part of my point.

Absolutely.

If anything the 2006 coup has strengthened Thaksins position.

TRT's popularity was already waning by 2006 and it was looking unlikely they would have been able to win a majority.

The massive failure of the last coup has brought us to today and we are looking at joining the ranks of Syria, Ukraine and Egypt.

Besides the implication of wishing death upon the man (little extreme!) - I don't think they should've gotten rid of him by coup at all.

They got rid of him by coup because they knew his party would win again in the election, that's why the coup was staged just a couple of months before the confirmed general election was to take place.

That's corruption.

A man responsible for thousands of extrajudicial murders under his war on drugs campaign, the death penalty is the lawful punishment in Thailand.

That's corruption.

A man responsible for thousands of extrajudicial murders under his war on drugs campaign, the death penalty is the lawful punishment in Thailand.

There was a lot of hard talk from Thaksin during that time, I agree and I am totally against him for that, the WOD in Thailand has always sickened me.

Do you hold those who pulled the trigger responsible or those in power who advocated the war on drugs?