Thai army chief cautions nation may 'collapse' as violence escalates

george

You can't blame only one side.

On the PTP side, they could have diffused the Thaksin connection controversy by simply divorcing themselves to a greater degree from Thaksin.

Does the PM have to be a close relative or an obvious puppet?

Thaksin has been MASSIVELY DIVISIVE for this country.

I also agree the opposition side is not pro democratic.

But how any westerner loves EITHER side is beyond me!

agreed.!!! I stated this so many times. They are both corrupt

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not rocket science. There will be a military coup. Then the generals will eventually fight it out as greed and power is too tempting for them to sit idol and watch others around them reap the benefits of long term control, and there will simply be too many chefs in the kitchen.

both sides want a coup. That way they don't have to face the farmers and cop blame for no money.

They can both then blame the military for all finance failings

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

The problem is the red shirts have declared very firmly they will not accept it if there is another coup this time.

According to the website global fire power the total manpower in the military is 306,000 active frontline personnel and 245,000 active reserve personnel.

In an article in the Bangkok Post today entitled Fomenting a culture of absolute hate the author wrote that a red-shirt leader told his supporters that there are as many as 10 million guns in the country, ready for Thais to defend themselves.

I think this is what Thailand's army chief meant when he warned about the country risking "collapse" sad.png

First of all, half of those guns are in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, secondly, no matter how many guns they have, only a few are fanatics, the rest will not risk their life, family and livelihood fighting an actual army!

But then again in other countries that leader became really powerful with the help of the army, and turned those countries into dictatorships, and once that happens, civil war is almost the only way out.

I don't know about you, but I prefer a coup to civil war anytime, and I think so does almost anyone who has experienced civil war first hand.

So you want 65 million Thais to be slaves for the eternity, ?

Every society pass through processes, France did it centuries ago. If we always stick to the same for the fear of the immediate consecuences in the short term, Thailand will always be a miserable feudal middle age country.

It's time to move on. Democracy is not cheap, that doesn t mean we shouldn't take it.

The army has divided Thailand creating divisions and conflicts to run it. "Divide and conquer". It will only be its fault if Thailand falls into a conflict

And please stop with the excuse of Thaksin. This comes from the 1932 revolution and 80 years of brutal dictatorships, Thaksin just came to exploit an extremely unfair system, for his own sake too, yes, sure, but the problems in Thai society comes since before he was born. He was just the detonator. If it wasn't him, it would be another one in few years, but the situation was getting ripe for this.

Thailand should look at Costa Rica: no army, no weapons, teachers and books instead. That happened in 1948.

Today Costa Rica is not a rich country, but a very peaceful and free country to live in, ranked the happiest in the world, and since i have spent years of my life there I can confirm it. Look at Thais today: where are their smiles ? Lost. Just hopeless.

Thais have the right to live in a free and peaceful country just any other country.

It's not true Asian countries are not compatible with democracy: look at Japan, South Corea, Taiwan and even in Africa Ghana, Senegal, Mauritius, Botswana. Iron fist leads nowhere. All military dictatorship in the world history have been plagued with human rights abuses , wars, besides widespread (and unaccounted ) corruption and plundering.

Edited by max72

Besides the implication of wishing death upon the man (little extreme!) - I don't think they should've gotten rid of him by coup at all.

They got rid of him by coup because they knew his party would win again in the election, that's why the coup was staged just a couple of months before the confirmed general election was to take place.

That's corruption.

A man responsible for thousands of extrajudicial murders under his war on drugs campaign, the death penalty is the lawful punishment in Thailand.

There was a lot of hard talk from Thaksin during that time, I agree and I am totally against him for that, the WOD in Thailand has always sickened me.

Do you hold those who pulled the trigger responsible or those in power who advocated the war on drugs?

I hold Taksin responsible for unleashing the forces that created such havoc, murder and misery on thousands of families. He is a man that lied and bribed his way into power even in his first election 'victory', someone even blew up his plane in Don Muang on one occasion. He has never united Thailand, consolidating power through division, corruption , threats and bullshit. Thailand deserves better, the thai people deserve better, he offers nothing but self enrichment and trouble.

As I said, the WOD in Thailand has always sickened me. I make no excuses.

Can you answer me on whether you hold those who pulled the trigger responsible or those in power who advocated the war on drugs?

Can you answer me on whether you hold those who pulled the trigger responsible or those in power who advocated the war on drugs?

Both. Is that unacceptable?

Both. Is that unacceptable?

Both is an acceptable answer for me.

Just as long as you know what you are talking about.

Where are these military weapons coming from? (M 79 grenades and launcher, assault rifles, not gear that can be bought anywhere.) And who are the people firing them?

A couple of backyard factories were busted producing knock off launchers in 2010, apparently its not that hard. Ammo, no idea.

I start feeling hopeless when looking at that Thai anarchytic mess. The rebel hooligan Mr.Suthep is now responsible for over 20 death and he keeps on smiling and blaiming others for the chaos he created. Politicians are hired by the people to talk with each other for the good of the country, to negotiate, to compromise, to look for win-win solutions, to fight corruption and to show vision and to follow the democratic processes. Mr. Suthep does not qualify for any of these requiremenrs. It cannot be that a minority considers that it should rule the country without elections, and Mr.ASuthep and Mr.Abhisit ARE a minority. Their political programs did not convince any majority of the voters. Things have to change in this country. The rich Bangkokian "Aristocracy" should share it's power and it's wealth, the game-play should stop, because this is no game anymore. And people should understand that a democracy does not mean that the winner-takes-all, but even winning an election means that you should take the interests of ALL Thai into consideration. I was already banned from the censored Bangkok Post-site for stating the above. Also that should change in a democratic country. Everything should be able to be freely discussed, and that means any political issue, any social issue, any class-issue and.......... the monarchy as well. The monarchy is a very important, beautiful binding-factor in Thailand, but should not stand outside the law and should evolve. I'm from the Netherlands where the Royal Family plays an important role in society, but that role has changed over the years. The love and respect for that Monarchy hasn't diminished. Please Thai wake up........ go for the solutions through negotiations, stop fighting, but fight corruption, and believe in the democratic process! CHOKDEE !!!

Edited by jayjay49

I have also removed some posts and replies containing unsubstantiated rumours. Please try to post in a responsible manner because we wouldn't like to cause a panic now would we?

and

To those out there that persist in trolling. Be prepared for a holiday.

I have also removed some posts and replies containing unsubstantiated rumours. Please try to post in a responsible manner because we wouldn't like to cause a panic now would we?

and

To those out there that persist in trolling. Be prepared for a holiday.

Very difficult to know what is true what not, these days.....At least we don't have the once per week coup rumor anymore.

On the other side the coups always happen when they are unexpected.....

When there isn't much going on it always gets worse with rumors....and who knows some might be true....

A coup seems to be the only way forward! The two squabbling kids need a good hard slap!

No, the Shinawatra government incited violence and effectively gave the police the authority to open fire on protestors. And we all know that Thaksin has a very unhealthy control over the 'police', for want of a more appropriate word. The army certainly needs to put a stop to it, without further delay.

"two squabbling kids" is the perception of someone from another world, not this one.

It was high fives all around when the drug war were announced. Students, the elite, The Nation *edited out* were all for it. Isn't it curious that Abasit and Suthep never ordered an investigation?

They hate Thaksin and certainly would try to pin the deaths on him if they had a chance. Somethings wrong.

The story of Thaksin ordering the killings doesn't fly.

What?!?! Were you even here at that time?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was here long before that and even dated Thaksins secretary at the early stages of his telecommunications empire.

That was when it took years to get a telephone landline in Bangkok without an enormous bribe. He began selling pagers(remember them?) then cellphones. Did big communication deals in PI, Laos, Vietnam etc.

She told me he borrowed 1 million baht from a banker that started his climb. A few years later his company was launching satellites.

Thaksin stepped on the wrong toes on his way up the foodchain. He thumbed his nose at the elite.

You do know he was a billionaire and owned 60 companies before politics?

In a way, for the long run, its better for this idiotic stalemate to continue so that there are some real consequences for this behaviour

Are expats allowed to be truthfully selfish?

Because those "real consequences" could well mean actual civil war and us expats OUT OF HERE.

For some, no big deal.

For others, devastating.

I won't go anywhere unless it turns into a Burma or African style conflict, or mass random violence against foreigners starts to happen. Then again, by the time any of that happens, it may be too late.

This place is going to go tits up eventually. Everyone knows it but none of us really want to admit it or even discuss it as a real possibility. It's just a matter of when.

All of you talking about "The end times" and "going tits up" obviously live in Bangkok. Bangkok is not Thailand. I live in a village in Isaan,its peaceful,no demonstrations,no hate speeches,people just get on with their lives. If it wasn't for the delayed rice payment the people here wouldn't even be the slightest bit bothered by the situation,in fact most dismiss it as a "Bangkok thing". If there is civil war it will only take place in Bangkok for a short time. Kick out the foreigners ? i think some imaginations are running wild. I'm here for the long haul no matter what happens,i don't expect a bunch of crazed machete wielding fanatics to turn up outside my house.

Your in isaan and you think the whole thing would be peaceful if the army intervened.

You did notice the reds burning city halls in khon Kaen, sarakham and a few other places?

I think very highly of Abhisit but he blew it by not doing more for the people in the north to show them his party is truly the one who is going to make their lives better in the long run.

One can only do so much without causing damage to the country.

Abhisit's programs to help the people in the north were sustainable. As we can see from the headlines, Taksin's clearly are not.

I think very highly of Abhisit but he blew it by not doing more for the people in the north to show them his party is truly the one who is going to make their lives better in the long run.

One can only do so much without causing damage to the country.

Abhisit's programs to help the people in the north were sustainable. As we can see from the headlines, Taksin's clearly are not.

"As we can see from the headlines"

That is too funny. Reading the local papers and believing it.

I will have to give your post a grade "F'. Clearly you have not done your homework.

There are a lot of off-topic posts. There are numerous threads, please keep your comments in this thread to the remarks made by the Army Chief and things directly related to it.

There are other threads covering other topics.

Interestinger and interestinger ! ... methinks the army learnt a bit from 2010 and don't want to go down that road again. Shame of course is that the Thais won't be asking for an international arbiter to help sort out THEIR mess. Lets hope it does not get too messy...but one thing is for sure... all of this has been cooking away for years and is not going to go away any time soon. There is a special branch of politics taught in unis around the world... it's called Thai Democracy in Action.

Are the Generals concerned their soldier grunts may turn on them?

I think so but they are more afraid of losing their lucrative jobs with all the perks. Those calling for the army to clean up the streets do not realize the officers are part of the same corrupted elite.

Interesting question. Hypothetically speaking, that is.

In the mean time we continue with the Thai army chief cautions the Nation may collapse as violence escalates.

In the mean time we continue with the Thai army chief cautions the Nation may collapse as violence escalates.

Its one thing to get a select few to crack down in bangkok. Another to get them to act nationwide.

Last coup and most others they needed to control only a small part.of bangkok.

If it fractures, which person will you be following as leader? I'm sort of curious who you imagine your leader will be. Maybe not a name, but military or non-military, a PhD or something, or do you guys have a specific person in mind link Anand or Prayuth?

I'll be backing Yingluk as PM regardless of whatever unelected trained monkey they put in the PM seat.

If it fractures, which person will you be following as leader? I'm sort of curious who you imagine your leader will be. Maybe not a name, but military or non-military, a PhD or something, or do you guys have a specific person in mind link Anand or Prayuth?

I'll be backing Yingluk as PM regardless of whatever unelected trained monkey they put in the PM seat.

My leader? My dear colourful nose, I've been told countless times that as a guest in Thailand I shouldn't have the wrong attitude, shouldn't complain, should go back my home and so on. So who am I to even follow someone?

BTW I am one guy, not 'you guys"

PS I like your last sentence, I really do. It's as if backing Ms. Yingluck as PM is not different from having her brother selecting another trained clone. biggrin.png