Thai army chief cautions nation may 'collapse' as violence escalates

george

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US Ambassador has informed them the money gets cut the moment they interfere with democracy.

Just like they did last coup. That time the army promised the US prompt elections and the money flowed again.

This time the powers that control the army have no intention of new elections.

You see, D day is approaching in Thailand and the invisible hand wants firm grip on the country.

Edited by Professor Kevin

Thai army chief speaks his heart out, hoping for way forward for kingdom
By Digital Content

13932443433135-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 24 – Thailand’s army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha called on the government to urgently end the widening use of weapons to attack protesters, judges, independent agencies and state office buildings.

He said the use of weapons, whether on protesters or the authorities, was a serious offence against the law while anti-government protesters must be warned against intruding into government property or using weapons against the authorities.

Releasing an official statement on Channel 5 – the army television station, Gen Prayuth said the army is concerned with the safety of the Thai people given the intensifying situation which is resulting in more deaths and injuries.

"Today, the army tried to discuss with the prime minister, national police chief, Center for Maintaining Peace and Order and all protesting groups to jointly end violence and hunt for culprits who have aggressively used war weapons.

“It is responsibility of the state, military and police officials, and all quarters to prevent and crack down on violent activities which have become more serious and led to massive damage in the country.”

Quoting an intelligence report, he said several groups of people were responsible for violent incidents and the majority of them were involved in the 2010 political unrest.

The political protest against then Abhisit Vejjajiva government in 2010 was spearheaded by Red Shirt supporters who today strongly support the present government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

He said all factions in society should consider if it would be possible to peacefully resolve the conflicts, adding that the use of military force might not solve the core problem but would possibly invalidate the Constitution.

Gen Prayuth said the army has abided by the Constitution in dispatching personnel to provide round-the-clock protection to people in areas under enforcement of a special law.

“How can we be assured that the situation will end peacefully if military forces are in full operation but all factions fail to tone down their conditions or accept the rule of law in the context of Thai society?” the army chief asked.

“Will the full use of military forces be accepted by people beyond the conflicts? We have to think carefully in light of Thailand’s present economic and social landscape and the significance of foreign perspectives towards Thailand. Our involvements in terms of economy, exports, imports and foreign investment must be taken into consideration.”

Gen Prayuth was apparently referring to indirect calls by some quarters for the army to stage a coup to end the political impasse once and for all.

“Compared to the 2010 political turmoil, the 2013-2014 conflicts are more complicated and all factions must urgently talk for fair and equal resolutions. We have to jointly march towards resolutions systemically and peacefully, and stop exploiting laws in fighting each other. Resolutions need the people’s power nationwide based on national interest.

“The military does not want to use forces or weapons to fight against Thai people with different opinions. Laws can be fully enforced. If there are further losses, our nation will collapse. There will no longer be winners or losers.”

He said judicial bodies and independent agencies must be allowed to work without pressure while every faction’s movement must be in accord with the Constitution without violating the laws or infringing on other people’s right and freedom.

He said instigation and slander against the authorities on the social media which has widened conflicts compelled him to issue his statement today, hoping that it would stop future losses among Thai people.

He said the army which has been successively dragged into the conflicts has been patient while its responsibilities on border and security protection in Thailand’s three southern border provinces have continued.

“I do hope that resolutions to the country will move on peacefully and speedily without creating more conflicts,” he concluded. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-25

"From now on violence will keep happening, for sure, so anyone who is not involved in the protests should not go to them," said Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung.

Better head for the hills, another prediction of violence from Chalerm, and he is NEVER wrong about that, amazing really.

• Like 1

The US Ambassador has informed them the money gets cut the moment they interfere with democracy.

Just like they did last coup. That time the army promised the US prompt elections and the money flowed again.

You see, D day is approaching in Thailand and the invisible hand wants firm grip on the country.

This funding has no bearing on whether the army decides to make a coup. The potential benefit to delivering a coup and really removing thaksin goes way beyond the USA fund.

It will be worth billions to the amart. But they need to achieve it without a coup. That won't work this time.

• Like 1

You see, D day is approaching in Thailand and the invisible hand wants firm gripj on the country.

I doubt Prayuth's very concerned about the loss of a few slots under a defence cooperation exchange program or the odd joint exercise conducted in the main to benefit US forces.

The severance of what really is a pittance in funding from the US is probably the farthest thing from his mind at the moment.

The army will gun them down, just like the last time and the time before that and the time before that.

There are basically 100 families that are running the show here. Ultra rich who could give a crap about the country.

The party is about over for them and they will go kicking and screaming trying to hang on to the billions $$ they have stolen.

The army will gun them down, just like the last time and the time before that and the time before that.

There are basically 100 families that are running the show here. Ultra rich who could give a crap about the country.

The party is about over for them and they will go kicking and screaming trying to hang on to the billions $$ they have stolen.

They won't gun them down up country. They can shoot in bangkok, but they will not do it up country.

The last thing the real power brokers want is to be responsible for explaining how they split the country. The party is not over for the 100. They are winning slowly.

They even have foreigners supporting Suthep for gods sake.

Coup Coup CA Chu... name that familiar tune of Thailand.

This time I for one welcome green shirts.

T.I.T.

And that's the intent of the violence. Get the public scared and weary of the ongoing violence.

Sabotage the civil government by preventing the civil authorities from dispersing the protestors and by legislating from the bench.

Then they will welcome the benevolent smiling generals.

Don't be a patsy.

In mature parliamentary countries, shouldn't the Army be subordinate to the elected government?

Yes. Unfortunately, the Thai military refuses to recognize that a civilian government has the authority to govern without the military's permission.

The Thai military is a lucrative business for its senior stakeholders and they have the weapons.

If thie violence continues and people are blaming each other, there might be a chance that this conflict will become a civil war.

That would be the worst scenario for Thailand.

There are more frustrated and irrational people out there trying to kill people.

The government has to do something about it. But how?

Yingluck does not want to give in but Suthep does not want either. It does not look like there is a quick solution to the problem.

The army undoubtedly want what is the best for the country. They are stuck in between the devil and the deep blue sea. However inaction could prove to be very costly as they may have no country to defend.

I know that a lot of reds won't be happy if their representatives are replaced but will they finally start obeying the law, stop corruption on a massive scale and stop bloody pillaging national economy for their own gains. Winning the election does not give the winning side automatic right to do as they're pleased. No matter what happens if Thailand is ever going to be normal country armed political party members and paramilitary formations on both sides (mainly UDD-no need to deny it) must be disarmed. Alternative is political violence for many years to come.

The army wants what is best for the country? The army wants what is best for them and their invisible backers.

You sir, have not done your homework, so the Professor will grade your post an "F."

Your assignment for today? GOOGLE wikileaks + thailand....and stop reading The Nation.

For heaven's sake, not another troll account. Don't make me laugh. I definitely pitty people who solely rely on google to inform themselves about what's going on in the real world. I saw Thaksin's rise to power, I saw Thaksin death squads in action between 2001-2005, I saw Thaksin falling from grace, I lived through the coup in 2006, Bangkok 2010, Bangkok 2014...Maybe you should google your own name and admire yourself. Thais don't have any good choices, but they'd better choose the lesser of two evil or their country will simply disappear.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In mature parliamentary countries, shouldn't the Army be subordinate to the elected government?

Yes. Unfortunately, the Thai military refuses to recognize that a civilian government has the authority to govern without the military's permission.

The Thai military is a lucrative business for its senior stakeholders and they have the weapons.

You want the military taking orders from Thaksin?

There will be a coup and in 2-years the other side will be on the street and the powers that be will cave to their wishes and so on and so on ... nothing will change until people accept election results and let their terms play out or use the courts and political process and not holding areas of a city hostage. I say this as somebody who firmly believes no leader should be able to hold their post if they are in ongoing communications with a wanted criminal ... especially one who is trying to influence Thai policy while in exile.

Forget all the BS about vote buying in the north, all sides can and do give bribes. I think very highly of Abhisit but he blew it by not doing more for the people in the north to show them his party is truly the one who is going to make their lives better in the long run.

No matter what people think about Thaksin, the coup of 2006 has turned out to be the worst decision in modern Thai history.

But hindsight is 20/20 unfortunately.

I don't think it was.

If they hadn't gotten rid of him, he would consolidated his power and right now, he probably would control the judiciary and the military also. That's everyone. And then Thailand would have joined the ranks of the Phillipines, Zimbabwe, Russia, South Sudan, among others. Countries who voted a dictator into power. This country would have been so screwed up. Scary thing is, there's still a chance of that happening if the Shinawatras get their way.

But, they haven't got rid of him.

That's part of my point.

I think people exaggerate Thaksin's aspirations, sometimes comparing him to the likes of Hitler.

He didn't need to control everything, as he already had the strongest democratic mandate in Thai history! (AFAIK)

I don't think anyone could argue that the military doesn't need some sort of stronger regulation and not have so much power also.

Apparently he did need to control everything, as he did everything he could to put his own people in charge of both military and police and he did everything he could to dismantle checks and balances.

And yes, someone like me could argue that with the ridiculously low quality of politicians in Thailand, and an extremely gullible population, a strong and independent military is needed to take over when the politicians convince large parts of the population that it is a good idea to ruin everything.

Meanwhile the PM is inspecting vegetables. Unbelievable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is there a cabinet meeting?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No silly, she's at a family reunion. Get it right.

Is there a difference?

Doesn't sound like you've heard of Maggie Thatcher.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With the rhetoric coming out of the red shirt leaders mouths, military intervention must be avoided at ALL costs. Such an intervention would surely be the catalyst to something bigger were there will be no winners.

I think people exaggerate Thaksin's aspirations, sometimes comparing him to the likes of Hitler.

He didn't need to control everything, as he already had the strongest democratic mandate in Thai history! (AFAIK)

I don't think it's possible to exaggerate Thaksin's "aspirations".

You are absolutely correct that in 2001 Thaksin gained the biggest popular mandate ever, he had a free hand to do virtually anything. What many people also forget is that he gained a considerable number of votes from people in Bangkok - many times I heard people say they voted for him because he was already so rich he would perhaps not be so greedy as the usual "Politicians" in Thailand.

At that time he had no need to beg for favours from the usual rabble of "kingmakers" in Thai politics. If he truly had Thailands interests at heart and not just his own he could have changed the face of Thai Politics and Governance, even Society, forever, simply by discarding patronage and appointing Ministers and Heads of Departments - including the Police and Military - with professionals; individuals qualified and experienced in their particular fields.

Of course he did not and we had the same old corrupt faces appointed to Ministries etc., with instructions to make sure Thaksin received a greater than usual percentage of what they could skim.

Then and now he only ever has his own interests at heart.

Patrick

• Like 2

The army undoubtedly want what is the best for the country. They are stuck in between the devil and the deep blue sea. However inaction could prove to be very costly as they may have no country to defend.

I know that a lot of reds won't be happy if their representatives are replaced but will they finally start obeying the law, stop corruption on a massive scale and stop bloody pillaging national economy for their own gains. Winning the election does not give the winning side automatic right to do as they're pleased. No matter what happens if Thailand is ever going to be normal country armed political party members and paramilitary formations on both sides (mainly UDD-no need to deny it) must be disarmed. Alternative is political violence for many years to come.

They don't want what's best for the country. They want what's best for their bank balance.

I didn't seem them giving back any of their gigantic funding increase after the coup or under abhisit.

Obviously worried that Cambodia or Burma were about to invade. Get away from this idea of the benevolent army. Armies fight wars, and the thai army isn't it even very good at that.

The army has been ordered to get rid of the Thaksin group, once and for all. The problem is the USA will immediately stop their enormous funding the minute the tanks roll. The generals that are feeding at this trough do not want to have that money flow cut so they are engineering a judicial coup.

The court, stacked with Thaksins enemies have been tasked to do the dirty work this time.

To hell with the voters.

Who gave the orders, the defence minister or some stupid idiot strutting around the streets causing trouble? I don't think the Army takes orders from people in the street but they take them from the government.

Heading into Thong Lor today from Pakkret on the expressway I saw a train in a depot being loaded with well over 20 tanks and APCs close to Ratchada.

What can it mean?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That the best way to transport tanks is by train?