The Falang Husband

Sakeopete

I get a kick out of how my wife uses me to save face. A little about myself, I have lived in the LOS for 5 years now. I'm a the quiet family type not into drinking and womanizing. We have a home in the country and I enjoy the lifestyle. My wifes family is great they never ask for anything and I don't mind taking care of a bit of expenses like food and electric bills. The neighbors on the otherhand are always trying to get something either money or borrow our farming tools.

Every week someone is asking for a loan, use of our tractor or a ride into the city etc. The great thing for my wife is being able to say no, as per my sentiment (Samee no like) thereby she saves face and the villagers understand because I'm a falang. :o Some of her well off Thai friends wish they had a falang as an instument to save face. Have a nice week everyone!

http://www.karamanosfamily.com

When I first bought the tractor and petrol weed wacker I was neighborly and lent it out but as expected they were returned needing repair and empty of fuel. :o They didn't even wash the tractor or say thank you, never again.

Edited by Sakeopete

Saying thank you is not a Thai strong point, same as saying sorry.

Thanks for mentioning this point.

I recently GAVE a brand new - in the box - flatscreen TV to my staff's mother and father. Now, I must admit, I got the TV free with a UBC subscription, however what amazed me was the point blank ignorance that I was even in the room, let alone had just presented them with a replacement for the 100 year old steam-powered TV that they owned.

This is not the first time I have experienced/heard of a good natured gift or offering completely ignored by the Thai recipient.

Would it be going off topic to ask for some light-shedding on this please?

Don't worry....not just the thais

It happened to me in farangland here in the US also. My farang neighbour had borrowed my paint sprayer for couple days.....guess what? It came back unwashed and broken! :o with no thanks and no sorry. That was the last time we spoke to each other, so no more tie between us to this day. You just have to cut the tie with these people, they may get mad at you in the beginning but so what it's your stuff and too bad if they don't understand your point of view on your own belonging. People are just people...same same everywhere. There is a good apple and a bad apple everywhere.

Edited by BKK90210

I recently GAVE a brand new - in the box - flatscreen TV to my staff's mother and father. Now, I must admit, I got the TV free with a UBC subscription, however what amazed me was the point blank ignorance that I was even in the room, let alone had just presented them with a replacement for the 100 year old steam-powered TV that they owned.

This is not the first time I have experienced/heard of a good natured gift or offering completely ignored by the Thai recipient.

It might have been because the recipients were older than yourself. I've observed a lack of aknowledgement or gratitude when elders receive from a younger family member, business associate or friend. Maybe to do with the slight feeling of embarrassment (but also needfulness) because of the "respect" thing involved so much with age in this country. I might be wrong as I've never discussed it with a Thai.

It might have been because the recipients were older than yourself. I've observed a lack of aknowledgement or gratitude when elders receive from a younger family member, business associate or friend. Maybe to do with the slight feeling of embarrassment (but also needfulness) because of the "respect" thing involved so much with age in this country. I might be wrong as I've never discussed it with a Thai.

Thanks CarlBKK, always nice to get a response.

I can see logic in your answer and it was for those reasons I guessed I was 'blanked'. It is not eating away at me, rather it makes me smile to myself in wonderment...like at 99% of most other things that happen here in this intriguing country.

I hope to be old one day (a young 41 year old at the moment) and I hope the general way in which younger people treat the 'elders' continues and I can benefit from it as time passes by.

Still...would be nice to get a pleasant "...thank you young man" when you drop a brand new TV on someone!

I used to tip my golf caddy 200 baht - a great tip of 70%. They never thanked me so I started giving 100. 3 of them asked for more so now they get bugger all. If you're giving away free tellies and getting no thanks, remember and don't do it again.

The worst one was when I bought 6 baht of gold for my wife when we ere getting married. I handed over cash to the woman in the shop and she didn't even look at me, but waied my wife. On the way out, as I realised I was getting no thanks I told them exactly what I thought of them - I was fuming.

Edited by Neeranam

I used to tip my golf caddy 200 baht - a great tip of 70%. They never thanked me so I started giving 100. 3 of them asked for more so now they get bugger all. If you're giving away free tellies and getting no thanks, remember and don't do it again.

The worst one was when I bought 6 baht of gold for my wife when we ere getting married. I handed over cash to the woman in the shop and she didn't even look at me, but waied my wife. On the way out, as I realised I was getting no thanks I told them exactly what I thought of them - I was fuming.

Ah the famous white guy blind spot syndrome. :o

I don't know if it applies to your situation, but my previous girl-friend asked me point blank to stop thanking her so much. I'd say thank you when she cooked for me, or opened a door, or for those thousands of little things that westerners are conditioned to say a polite thank you for every day.

She told me that it wasn't something done between thai's that are close. And thanking someone for every little thing is a bit too formal and something done with strangers. In thailand it's just assumed that the other party is grateful, you don't have to point it out.

Doesn't excuse the shopkeeper though :o

Edited by jaiyenjohn

I can see logic in your answer and it was for those reasons I guessed I was 'blanked'. It is not eating away at me, rather it makes me smile to myself in wonderment...like at 99% of most other things that happen here in this intriguing country.

I hope to be old one day (a young 41 year old at the moment) and I hope the general way in which younger people treat the 'elders' continues and I can benefit from it as time passes by.

Still...would be nice to get a pleasant "...thank you young man" when you drop a brand new TV on someone!

Re - "I hope to be old one day (a young 41 year old at the moment) and I hope the general way in which younger people treat the 'elders' continues and I can benefit from it as time passes by."

Please do not hold your breath!!! I am now 63 and have only received a thankyou from one Thai couple, which was most refreshing...I remember when a so called Thai friend of mine(younger than me) offered ,for a certain fee, to take me into the big city(Ubon) to do some shopping. When he picked me up his pickup was full of his family, friends and old uncle Tom Cobbley and all. As we arrived on the outskirts of Ubon first stop was a restraunt on the river,everyone ordered their food and drinks and all had a merry time.When we had finished they just walked off to the car,no smile or acknowledgement whatsoever,certainly no thankyou.After our shopping we headed back home but of course another stop was required for another meal and drinks.Same thing all just walked off without even a smile. I have never understood this about Thai's, after all thankyou is part of their language.Anyhow I learnt my lesson and bought a car,much cheaper... :o

Re - "I hope to be old one day (a young 41 year old at the moment) and I hope the general way in which younger people treat the 'elders' continues and I can benefit from it as time passes by."

Please do not hold your breath!!! I am now 63 and have only received a thankyou from one Thai couple, which was most refreshing...I remember when a so called Thai friend of mine(younger than me) offered ,for a certain fee, to take me into the big city(Ubon) to do some shopping. When he picked me up his pickup was full of his family, friends and old uncle Tom Cobbley and all. As we arrived on the outskirts of Ubon first stop was a restraunt on the river,everyone ordered their food and drinks and all had a merry time.When we had finished they just walked off to the car,no smile or acknowledgement whatsoever,certainly no thankyou.After our shopping we headed back home but of course another stop was required for another meal and drinks.Same thing all just walked off without even a smile. I have never understood this about Thai's, after all thankyou is part of their language.Anyhow I learnt my lesson and bought a car,much cheaper... :o

Many thanks for the insight, and good to know I am not alone!

One thing that has been a source of much curiosity to me regarding the whole "TV for Free" saga is what they tell their friends and relatives. Do you think they are proud to tell everyone that a Farang gave them the TV or would they even have to cover that up (lie) in order to save face etc in front of any of their peer group asking "...Jeez, nice TV Somchai, where'd you pick that up?"

in some ways - and as a direct personal affront to not getting the anticipated 'thanks' - I hope it has caused them some embarassment...just for personal gratification of course!

Its hard to get out of the western habit with manners... I know I come across these issues in my business and personal life in thailand somewhat often. There is a big difference between what manners and being polite means in the western world to what it means in Thailand.

I must say that my golf caddies have all thanked me with a wai and kap kun ka. The only ones I don't tip are the ones who talk on there cells or to each other while I'm prepairing to swing.

A strange thing that I noticed when I was living in Argentina...people didn't say 'please'. I made some inquiries in regard to this & the same response was given on each occassion, "We don't say please. There is no need to as it is not considered impolite to omit a 'please'."

Example, "Dame cigarillos, un box."

Translation - "Give me a box of cigarettes".

...but most people in Argentina say 'thankyou'.

I get a kick out of how my wife uses me to save face. A little about myself, I have lived in the LOS for 5 years now. I'm a the quiet family type not into drinking and womanizing. We have a home in the country and I enjoy the lifestyle. My wifes family is great they never ask for anything and I don't mind taking care of a bit of expenses like food and electric bills. The neighbors on the otherhand are always trying to get something either money or borrow our farming tools.

Every week someone is asking for a loan, use of our tractor or a ride into the city etc. The great thing for my wife is being able to say no, as per my sentiment (Samee no like) thereby she saves face and the villagers understand because I'm a falang. :o Some of her well off Thai friends wish they had a falang as an instument to save face. Have a nice week everyone!

http://www.karamanosfamily.com

Just the day before yesterday I heared a lot noise downstair, actually I thought it is an tsunami, earthquake and hurrican at the same time.

Later I asked and my wife told a "friend" asked for borrowing money, she got extremly loud, to guarantee that everyone can hear it, what I understood was something like

we are not the bank

try working instead of sitting lazy arround

look me, I work since half day, we shall give someone like you money

never enough for life......

And so on 15 minutes, shouting.

(explanation, my wife is half chinese half southern.

Usually this is working for two weeks than the next try to borrow money usually comes.

I must say that my golf caddies have all thanked me with a wai and kap kun ka. The only ones I don't tip are the ones who talk on there cells or to each other while I'm prepairing to swing.

I have played over a 100 rounds of golf in my 3 years here and I cannot believe what I am reading!

You seriously DON'T give a tip of a mere 200 baht to a WOMAN who has dragged your sorry arse around a golf course for the thick end of 5 hours...just because she uses her phone!

If it is putting you off your obviously life-threatening game of golf, then why not just ask politely for them to stop using their phones? Either way, I am flabbergasted by these statements.

Before you rant back, I play off a 3 handicap, therefore ONE inappropriately timed phone call by a caddie usually wipes out my whole allowance for the round...but there are bigger things in life to worry about than this! My guess is you are playing off an 18+ handicap (on a good day) as these types seem more prone to apportioning blame to an innocent bystander - the caddie - than the fact their swing is like an octupus falling out of a tree!

I have played over a 100 rounds of golf in my 3 years here and I cannot believe what I am reading!

You seriously DON'T give a tip of a mere 200 baht to a WOMAN who has dragged your sorry arse around a golf course for the thick end of 5 hours...just because she uses her phone!

If it is putting you off your obviously life-threatening game of golf, then why not just ask politely for them to stop using their phones? Either way, I am flabbergasted by these statements.

Before you rant back, I play off a 3 handicap, therefore ONE inappropriately timed phone call by a caddie usually wipes out my whole allowance for the round...but there are bigger things in life to worry about than this! My guess is you are playing off an 18+ handicap (on a good day) as these types seem more prone to apportioning blame to an innocent bystander - the caddie - than the fact their swing is like an octupus falling out of a tree!

Another rich farang which keep thinking in $. 200 baht is nothing for you , but it's good money for a Thai, they are paid to do that work, if they don't do that work and instead talk with their mobile, are they doing their job?

Tipping inappropriately make things more difficult for those who will come later!

The problem is "many" Thais can't see the link between good service and good tip.

Sorry to the OP :o

Another rich farang which keep thinking in $. 200 baht is nothing for you , but it's good money for a Thai, they are paid to do that work, if they don't do that work and instead talk with their mobile, are they doing their job?

Tipping inappropriately make things more difficult for those who will come later!

The problem is "many" Thais can't see the link between good service and good tip.

Sorry to the OP :o

Don't confuse me with somebody who is rich! I am a hairy-arsed working class lad that appreciates someone pampering me, getting me drinks, cleaning my golf clubs, massaging my shoulders, helping me with distances, acting as a cheerleader, and lugging a huge golf bag around over a 5 hour period for 200thb (actually it is only about 175thb because the golf course owners make them pay for their own uniforms).

If you think 200thb is in ANY WAY inappropriate for 5 hours work...God help anyone providing a service to you and expecting a tip!

Also...I stopped thinking in my own currency about 5 minutes after arriving here; another misjudgement.

You response, just proves my point.

Did you know a maid earns 3500-5000 baht a month (depending on the area you live) to scrub your floor 6 days a week or a bank clerk earns 7000-9000 a month.

Plus here we are talking about a tip which is added to the "regular" salary the worker already receives.

But hey, I bet they are happy to see you around, good for them at least. :o

Edited by KhunMarco

You response, just prove my point.

Did you know a maid earns 3500-5000 baht a month (depending on the area you live) to scrub your floor 6 days a week or a bank clerk earns 7000-9000 a month.

Plus here we are talking about a tip which is added to the "regular" salary the worker already receives.

But hey, I bet they are happy to see you around, good for them at least. :o

Maths! What a wonderful method of proving a point (for you obviously).

OK...lets say a caddie works 30 days a month - actually they generally work every other day - but seeing as you wish to use maths, lets do it together!

175thb x 30 = 5,250thb. What a fantastic wage! Way above that of a maid!

And yes...they are happy to see me because I treat them with the respect anyone acting as a pack horse should receive. Anything wrong with that?

Sorry to the OP :D

Don't confuse me with somebody who is rich! I am a hairy-arsed working class lad that appreciates someone pampering me, getting me drinks, cleaning my golf clubs, massaging my shoulders, helping me with distances, acting as a cheerleader, and lugging a huge golf bag around over a 5 hour period for 200thb (actually it is only about 175thb because the golf course owners make them pay for their own uniforms).

If you think 200thb is in ANY WAY inappropriate for 5 hours work...God help anyone providing a service to you and expecting a tip!

Also...I stopped thinking in my own currency about 5 minutes after arriving here; another misjudgement.

Good for you, I however would much prefer to NOT have a caddy - most of them are not very useful, and don't add anything to the game, just an extra drag - but I don't have the choice. Not only do I have to pay the course for the caddy but she also expect a tip.

Yes I know it's not her fault and I think I only once didn't tip at least the customary 200 BUT I would much prefer if they could just do away with the caddies.

:o

Sorry to the OP :D

Good for you, I however would much prefer to NOT have a caddy - most of them are not very useful, and don't add anything to the game, just an extra drag - but I don't have the choice. Not only do I have to pay the course for the caddy but she also expect a tip.

Yes I know it's not her fault and I think I only once didn't tip at least the customary 200 BUT I would much prefer if they could just do away with the caddies.

:o

Just as an aside - and I know we are WAAAAAY off topic - but my Aussie buddy, who was returning home to Sydney after 2 years here, spent 4 hours in Thaniya Plaza trying to buy a golf trolley/pull-cart until he realized why he could not find one anywhere...NOBODY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO DO IT THEMSELVES HERE!

Having said that...I tend to agree with you that they are a bit surplus to requirements sometimes, but do come in handy when me and my buddies start wilting on the 10th from heat exhaustion!