Bomb explosions and gunfire rock PDRC’s Silom rally site

webfact

Bomb explosions and gunfire rock PDRC’s Silom rally site

2-25-2014-10-19-54-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The rally site of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) at Silom was rocked by bomb and gun attack throughout the night leaving five people slightly injured.

The injured who included two PDRC guards were admitted to Chulalongkorn hospital for primary treatment and later discharged.

PDRC guards said the explosion started from about 1.00 a.m. and ended before dawn today.

Throughout almost four hours of tension, bomb explosions and gunshot fires were heard sporadically around the protected area of security guards while protesters inside were not hurt.

Almost 20 explosions were counted by guards from midnight to 4.00 a.m. today coupled with gunshots.

Security guards reported seeing a pickup truck dropping armed men at two locations near the vicinity of the protected areas at Saladaeng and Henri Dunant road. Shortly afterwards gunshots were heard near

Saladaeng intersection and explosions were heard near the Chulalongkorn hospital on the Henri Dunant road.

The bomb and gun attack prompted security guards to step up maximum security checks on all people entering Silom road to work this morning. They also expanded the protection area wider to ensure full protection for people joining the protest rally today.

Protection area was expanded from Saladaeng intersection to Soi Taniya which is beneath BTS Saladaeng sky train station.

Security guards also prohibited entry into the Lumphini park for exercise this morning after gunshots were heard near Gate 4 of the park and near the Thai-Belgian bridge at 4.10 a.m. today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bomb-explosions-gunfire-rock-pdrcs-silom-rally-site/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-25

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very quiet around Silom this morning. The PRDC guards don't exactly inspire confidence. Personally I object to being 'screened' by these self-appointed guards but I'm not sure what the alternative is. I had to have a chuckle as I left work yesterday and walked up to the MRT. At the 'check point' they have an entry/exit lane - people were just walking in and out wherever they wanted to and the guards appeared powerless to stop them. Maybe this afternoon in might be a little more rigorous.

• Like 2

20 explosions? My personal opinion is that it looks like the targeting of someone's business has made someone really mad. whistling.gif

And where are the police again? Months of constant bombings and they're still nowhere close to catching the culprit. I guess seeing how a policeman can go on stage and cheer the deaths at Trat, the police don't really want to catch these people do they? Face it, if this continues and the so called police don't do their jobs, the army might have to.

they'll be out for the photo op this morning looking all concerned and serious.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, the police are NOT able to do their duty. The city has been taken over by a small number of lawless armed thugs ( aka PDRC guards) and the courts have given them the right to continue with impunty

It must be nice living in your simple worldview, Simple Jack.

Who knows who is responsible...this could quite easily be a 'statement' from the private sector. Unsurprising that the police are able to do little....a combination of constraints by the courts and the bashing/interrogation they get from the buddhist monk, very difficult for them to function effectively

The police were not ordered to stop doing their job. The CMPO was. The police still have the power to make arrests. Shoot armed attackers. Make checkpoints and ensure security. But i am thinking that the police were ordered to stay away. This and that maybe the police dont want to do this kind of work without profit.

4 hours of bombing and gunfire is outlandish. No excuse for the local police not to intervene on the protesters behalf.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 2

No, the police are NOT able to do their duty. The city has been taken over by a small number of lawless armed thugs ( aka PDRC guards) and the courts have given them the right to continue with impunty

The Thai police is always useless, and at the moment are too occupied cheering the murdering of Thai children. You must be a proud man/woman prbkk, to support these kind of lawless thugs.

• Like 2

I pray for a swift comfortable recovery for the poor injured people, and also for the extremists on both sides to start showing some long overdue restraint, wisdom and compassion. It is never too late to join the civilised majority. I would urge them to do this before even one more person is so much as bruised.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Two wounded in gun, bomb attacks at PDRC rally site
By Digital Content

13933073463642.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 25 - Two people were slightly wounded in a shooting and bombing attack at the protesters security guard post near Lumpini Park early Tuesday, while elsewhere, an M79 grenade was fired near Democrat Party headquarters.

A series of shooting and bombing sounds were heard outside the Lumpini Park protest site of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) from 1am until 4am.

Two people were reportedly slightly wounded from the attacks.

On Monday night, at around 7.30pm, an M79 grenade fell at a house, 15 metres from the Democrat Party headquarters on Setthasiri Soi 2 in Samsen area.

Three cars were damaged from the explosion, but no injuries were reported.

It was believed that the M79 grenade was intended for the Democrat Party headquarters.

Thaworn Senneam, a PDRC co-leader, said he believed the attacks could have been an intimidation attempt from the government, urging caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra as well as Chalerm Yubamrung, chief of the Center for Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO), and Police Chief Pol Gen Adul Sangsingkaew to take responsibility for the latest violence against protesters and speed up tracking the gunmen.

He asked international agencies to help ensure safety for the protesters, saying he did not trust the government's security measures.

Mr Thaworn said the protesters are heading to rally at several locations including businesses believed to have close links with the Shinawatra family, M-Link company building, the Public Works and Excise Departments with an aim to pressure the caretaker premier to resign.

The protesters plan to march to National Police headquarters on Wednesday to demand the progress of several cases involving violence against PDRC protesters. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-25