Arrested in samui

BigC

If you really go so often to a police station don't you think that you should change something in your life ?

People are weird ! I know real gangsters who have never been and will certainly never visit any police station !

So - you know real gangsters and you suggest that Rob should change something in his life? Duh!

Let us look at your comments - most people do not have a choice about visiting a police station. I have visited many.

eg

have a traffic accident - someone does a runner - off to the police station.

Loose your wallet - off to the police station.

Problems with drunk renter in a villa that you manage - off to the police station.

Someone steals your kayak - off to the police station

Good friend gets shot - off to the police station

The list is endless.

Sorry - your comment is pretty worthless and totally offtopic.gifpost-4641-1156693976.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes if you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law then surely hand cuffing and placing one in a police sell and sending them to court to await sentencing or pleading then being remanded in custody is a form of kidnapping ???

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

What an stunning gush of twaddle has been written here in reply to the OP's questions!

This topic has to be a record breaker! Amazing! And quickly drifting off subject into all sorts of directions.

Thank you all those contributors with interesting tales about what happened to their Thai family up north.

And gotta chuckle at those armchair pundits who banged on about "being read his rights".

(And with apologies to those who were able to offer meaningful information.)

He asked . . . "what is the process if I get arrested on Samui?" And out of all the responses, nobody seems to have answered that.

My reply is simply - "I'm not exactly sure." In the time that I've been on Samui I've ended up being hauled off to various police station on quite a few occasions over the years. And I have no idea if I was 'arrested' or not. As far as I have been able to work it out, being forcibly taken to the police station with no choice in the matter appears to be the Thailand/Samui version of 'being arrested'. There is nothing I can relate this process to in England - because the system here doesn't relate to anything in England. The police here don't have the same function as police in Europe or the US.

In each instance I was questioned (in English) and I replied. And then eventually I was presented with my 'statement' - a document written entirely in Thai - and asked to sign it. At which point I was then told how much money I would have to pay to the aggrieved party and negotiations began. I can only assume that if I had refused to pay then I would have been detained longer. Or/and - as once happened to an acquaintance of mine - after a day or so the police would have gone to my house and removed my personal property to compensate the victim.

I'm aware that these were not 'crimes against the state'. Each of the instances I've been involved with involved a Thai person going to the police with a complaint about me, and the subsequent settlement of this. I can only assume that I was 'arrested' . . . On one occasion I refused to sign anything until I had spoken to my lawyer in Bangkok (!) and was politely placed in a single cell by myself for a short while. But I am pretty certain that if I had thrown a bomb at a government building, been caught with a ton of drugs or shot someone, I would have been detained for a very much longer period of time.

I think that the process would be much the same - although I might be wrong here. In answer to Big C (the OP), firstly you would be taken to a police station and restrained if necessary. You would be questioned and expected to sign a statement. You would be held in a cell if you refused to answer questions or sign a statement. I would make a guess that you would need to bring in your own paid-for legal representative as soon as possible. And from this point on what happened would depend on the nature of your crime.

Do, for example, drug pushers who have been caught red-handed go to a court and appear in front of a judge? I don't know, but I would think not. Their statement and the evidence of the police is enough and they are jailed. The Thai legal system takes years to grind into operation and so during any further 'investigations', you would remain in jail. I have a friend who was suspected of being involved with a group of people doing shady land deals. He was 'arrested' and sat in jail for 10 months before being released due to a lack of evidence against him - and he was lawyered-up from day one.

Like several people have already pointed out - in this country you are guilty until you are found to be innocent.

R

Good post Rob

As you say - a lot depends on 'the nature of the crime'.

I was involved in a traffic accident where someone died. ALL drivers were arrested and 'banged up'. In my case - for 10 - 15 minutes until my wife could get to the ATM to post bail. I was always treated with the utmost respect and the police did everything that they could to help me. No money changed hands. (Yes - the bail money was returned.) The only inconvenience was that the police held my passport until the case was finished. (50,000 baht overstay - but I did get my money back eventually.) Even the judge apologised for the slow due process.

I do not remember ever having my rights read to me Big C. It was more a 'sorry - this is the way that we do things here!'

• Like 1

So basically if you did not have enough money to post bail then you would either need a government person to guarantee you, land assets or jail.wow

If one is a tourist that can be dangerous specially the young

The young tourists need information big time when they come out

It does not have to be a holiday in hell but I can turn into one with lack of common sense such as driving drunk, very bad luck, or youngsters just taking the piss tying to make a name for themselves in he worst possible country to try

I like the way things work out here

It is not perfect but it is different

Thanks to all who have generously answered my question

My conclusion is specially on samui as on a island if one makes trouble what goes around shall come back around

Is to try to keep my head down

Be polite to all people

If people want to give me trouble then the famous up to them Thai saying is what would happen

As the same as thai people of people are good to me I good to them if they bad to me I give them hell from all angles and directions as if I do not look for trouble then why should it find me unless I am the one in the wrong then I am man enough to admit it and say sorry

As for the law on samui it is a tough nut to crack. We all speak about corruption and people getting away with murder and what not but has anyone tried to put that to the test themselves. I doubt it

As for justice in this system from my conclusion some time it comes with patients and time

If some one had done something very wrong to you or your family then just wait and somewhere down the line they shall get what's coming to them as if they have got away with it there luck cannot last for ever as not only the police criminals have to worry about

If one does something wrong and consistently does so then it is only a matter of time intill someone shall come and be the judge and jury for that person or persons

I feel like I an closing down an episode of crime watch uk

So I shall say this to make you lot cringe

Be safe, don't have nightmares, good night grrrrrrrr i feel like shooting myself ha ha

• Like 1

Just one more thing

I wonder how many criminals would make great lawyers as they have committed many crimes and say in cell with also people that have been nicked so there must have lot of experience withe the law

The Police can read us our rights, buy us lunch. Once you're arrested, you have the right to cease being stupid. Wherever you might be on God's Green Earth. Find out as quickly as possible, what it will take to make it go away . . . . as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter where, once you have to go through the entirety or any part of due process ..... no matter the outcome, nothing can give you back that time of your life. I rest my case.

They are in theory , but the don't

Rule of thumb , if arrested , find out the amount to pay to get out , even if completely innocent , once you are in the system it can be a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Is there any interest in the possibility of innocence?

Sure sounds like a great place to live doesn't it!coffee1.gif

Guilty until you can prove your innocence, I think blink.png .. not worth the risk in the Thai System sad.png

US is the same in many places.

U.S. is the same in many places. Once you are in the grasp of, Police Power, it is going to cost you just about any place in the world. Plug into damage control, at once. The Dog ate my homework, it will not work.

The Police can read us our rights, buy us lunch. Once you're arrested, you have the right to cease being stupid. Wherever you might be on God's Green Earth. Find out as quickly as possible, what it will take to make it go away . . . . as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter where, once you have to go through the entirety or any part of due process ..... no matter the outcome, nothing can give you back that time of your life. I rest my case.

Sorry but II cant understand what you are trying to say here. Could you make your point simply, please?

• Like 1

What an stunning gush of twaddle has been written here in reply to the OP's questions!

This topic has to be a record breaker! Amazing! And quickly drifting off subject into all sorts of directions.

Thank you all those contributors with interesting tales about what happened to their Thai family up north.

And gotta chuckle at those armchair pundits who banged on about "being read his rights".

He asked . . . "what is the process if I get arrested on Samui?" And out of all the responses, nobody seems to have answered that.

My reply is simply - "I'm not exactly sure." In the time that I've been on Samui I've ended up being hauled off to various police station on quite a few occasions over the years. And I have no idea if I was 'arrested' or not. As far as I have been able to work it out, being forcibly taken to the police station with no choice in the matter appears to be the Thailand/Samui version of 'being arrested'. There is nothing I can relate this process to in England - because the system here doesn't relate to anything in England. The police here don't have the same function as police in Europe or the US.

In each instance I was questioned (in English) and I replied. And then eventually I was presented with my 'statement' - a document written entirely in Thai - and asked to sign it. At which point I was then told how much money I would have to pay to the aggrieved party and negotiations began. I can only assume that if I had refused to pay then I would have been detained longer. Or/and - as once happened to an acquaintance of mine - after a day or so the police would have gone to my house and removed my personal property to compensate the victim.

I'm aware that these were not 'crimes against the state'. Each of the instances I've been involved with involved a Thai person going to the police with a complaint about me, and the subsequent settlement of this. I can only assume that I was 'arrested' . . . On one occasion I refused to sign anything until I had spoken to my lawyer in Bangkok (!) and was politely placed in a single cell by myself for a short while. But I am pretty certain that if I had thrown a bomb at a government building, been caught with a ton of drugs or shot someone, I would have been detained for a very much longer period of time.

I think that the process would be much the same - although I might be wrong here. In answer to Big C (the OP), firstly you would be taken to a police station and restrained if necessary. You would be questioned and expected to sign a statement. You would be held in a cell if you refused to answer questions or sign a statement. I would make a guess that you would need to bring in your own paid-for legal representative as soon as possible. And from this point on what happened would depend on the nature of your crime.

Do, for example, drug pushers who have been caught red-handed go to a court and appear in front of a judge? I don't know, but I would think not. Their statement and the evidence of the police is enough and they are jailed. The Thai legal system takes years to grind into operation and so during any further 'investigations', you would remain in jail. I have a friend who was suspected of being involved with a group of people doing shady land deals. He was 'arrested' and sat in jail for 10 months before being released due to a lack of evidence against him - and he was lawyered-up from day one.

Like several people have already pointed out - in this country you are guilty until you are found to be innocent.

R

If you really go so often to a police station don't you think that you should change something in your life ?

People are weird ! I know real gangsters who have never been and will certainly never visit any police station !

Well my wise young friend, I *did* change something in my life already. 16 years ago I came to live on a small island in Thailand. And, in the time since, I have discovered, unlike yourself, that things are different here, and that includes the way the police function. It would appear that you have yet to become familiar with this element of living in Thailand, hence your over-confident and completely erroneous assumptions.

• Like 1

Yes, for sure, after more than 10 years without being even questioned by any cop at any place I need help from someone who spends his days an nights in a police station because he is not able to manage his life the right way. Thank you !

That is a wild assumption

You don't even know why he has had to go to police station

Just because you never been questioned by police doesn't mean u have never committed a crime

You could just be very cautious and bigger than the worst but more clever

So in 10 years u have never been in an accident never been done for not wearing a helmet

What do you do for fun lock yourself in your house lol

Sorry but II cant understand what you are trying to say here. Could you make your point simply, please?

Looks like a riddle

What has the USA got to so with thailand

Completely different country and not only that but I am talking about samui

Western countries have policies with dealing with people who are proven innocent like compensation

These comments about other countries have nothing to do with this thread

Her if you are innocent or not you shall still have to pay for and over stay even though u might be an innocent man that is now free and been in jail for 5 years

They are in theory , but the don't

Rule of thumb , if arrested , find out the amount to pay to get out , even if completely innocent , once you are in the system it can be a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Is there any interest in the possibility of innocence?

Sure sounds like a great place to live doesn't it!coffee1.gif

Guilty until you can prove your innocence, I think blink.png .. not worth the risk in the Thai System sad.png

US is the same in many places.

U.S. is the same in many places. Once you are in the grasp of, Police Power, it is going to cost you just about any place in the world. Plug into damage control, at once. The Dog ate my homework, it will not work.

Looks like a riddle

Riddles smile.png

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

• Like 1

Don't start sir Churchill the war is over now though I am partial to an old war speach )

Looks like a riddle

Riddles smile.png

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

• Like 1

R

Good post Rob

I was involved in a traffic accident where someone died. ALL drivers were arrested and 'banged up'. In my case - for 10 - 15 minutes until my wife could get to the ATM to post bail. I was always treated with the utmost respect and the police did everything that they could to help me. No money changed hands. (Yes - the bail money was returned.) The only inconvenience was that the police held my passport until the case was finished. (50,000 baht overstay - but I did get my money back eventually.) Even the judge apologised for the slow due process.

I do not remember ever having my rights read to me Big C. It was more a 'sorry - this is the way that we do things here!'

Your story got real fishy when you said 50000 baht overstay, as the max is 20000. So now I ask myself what is is fabrication? Hmmm

• Like 1

This thread still hasen't given me a good answer what to do if beeing arrested.

In fact it just got me more confused to what is the most reasonable thing to do.

So hopefully i never get into a situation like this.

In fact it just got me more confused to what is the most reasonable thing to do.

When you or of you get arrested you shall probably not be prepared as most people don't normally make plans to get arrested

Samui I would find a local lawyer and test him win daily things like visas have a consultation extra and make sure he covers criminal law

If you are involved in an accident and the police want to detain you while he police carry out their investigation then you can call him to negotiate bail

Then in the time you are out you can go to work on clearing the case

People who deliberately do stuff illegal such as take: sell drugs or what ever I have no advise for as they already know what they are doing is wrong

My only consirn is for people that are arrested for something and thu don't know what they have done or what they have been charged with

Basically advise for the confused forang that are now somewhere in the system

I believe in most real democracies (and I do not include Thailand in this list) one is innocent until proven guilty. However, I also believe in very few countries one is actually read one's rights. That is confined to, perhaps, the USA and cop shows on TV.

Exactly ! Good to find someone who knows what he is talking about !

Umm - sorry, not true.

I had an off-shore bank account. (I was living overseas. It was set up legally by my UK bank as I did not have to pay UK tax.)

Some arzole in the USA found out about it - and there was a connection to a 'person of interest' in their minds. So ALL of my bank accounts (off shore and UK) were frozen until I could prove my innocence.

NO ONE read me my rights! and I did prove my innocence - but it took me six months. You try living for six months with all of your bank accounts frozen.

In this particular case - I was guilty until I could prove my innocence - in the USA!

Oh - so many bar stool experts.

Same with the tax man in UK, were you arrested? i guess is the point, as in the USA if you were they have to read you your Miranda rights , if not arrested and it seems you were not it would not come into it. Was it the police or IRS who froze the accounts.

Edited by marstons

Good post Rob

Your story got real fishy when you said 50000 baht overstay, as the max is 20000. So now I ask myself what is is fabrication? Hmmm

Oh Doubting Thomas you - it was more that 20,000 baht 14 years ago! As a greenhorn then in LOS when my lawyer told me that I had to pay 50,000 baht - I paid.

It was a con between my lawyer and the immigration people! (My lawyer later stole a car from me but that is another story.)

If you re-read my post, you will see that I wrote that I got the money back eventually. There is no overstay when the police hold your passport!

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

Yes just because the over stay maximum is " supposed to be " 20 k

It would not be the first time a forang has been over charged

Nothing wrong with the story

Too be honest I don't know what the right and wrong thing to do if nicked

Depends on the situation at the time

It is very hard to understand anything over here

Low key is the best I can suggest

Stay low try not to bost too much. Try not to cause trouble but don't take any shit either

The more a forang stick out and shows off his money and convertible cars and likes to look down on people are going to attract trouble

A thai with money can have power to match it

Forangs with money can be a sheep umongst wolves if not carefull

Thing is Virt, you just won't know if you've been arrested or not.

The clue is if they don't let you go home.

Then you can assume you have been arrested detained.

(What was your question again?)

R

Edited by robsamui

Stay low try not to bost too much. Try not to cause trouble but don't take any shit either

The more a forang stick out and shows off his money and convertible cars and likes to look down on people are going to attract trouble

And if the Benz is not convetible, is it safe or not ? 555+

Sorry but I always feel safer in a 5 millions car than in a Toyota because they know that if they make problems I will be able to fight with my money and with my acquaintances...

Maybe it's an evidence as they never tried even once until now !

I;m not going to be low profile just because cheap monkeys could try to create problems.

Show to a dog that you are scare and he will bite you, but if you bite him first it is usually safe <3

And if the Benz is not convetible, is it safe or not ? 555+

Sorry but I always feel safer in a 5 millions car than in a Toyota because they know that if they make problems I will be able to fight with my money and with my acquaintances...

Maybe it's an evidence as they never tried even once until now !

I;m not going to be low profile just because cheap monkeys could try to create problems.

Show to a dog that you are scare and he will bite you, but if you bite him first it is usually safe <3

You do have a point you probably won't get stopped in road blocks but

They might run a covert investigation and find something to nick you for

As without knowing there is normally something that you have done that is illegal even with out knowing

Things as Perth as when you built you built not within 2 Meters from your boundary instead it was 1.99 meters

Colour of your roof

Someone can plant stuff on you and call the old bill

That happens all the time here

Do be tricked into thinking if you have money your are immune well ask Thaksin to come round and see you'd for a cup of tea

Oh no that's right he cannot come back to Thailand without going to jail for 2 years might have to wait a while