Top Posters In This Topic

Yes just because the over stay maximum is " supposed to be " 20 k

It would not be the first time a forang has been over charged

Nothing wrong with the story

Too be honest I don't know what the right and wrong thing to do if nicked

Depends on the situation at the time

It is very hard to understand anything over here

Low key is the best I can suggest

Stay low try not to bost too much. Try not to cause trouble but don't take any shit either

The more a forang stick out and shows off his money and convertible cars and likes to look down on people are going to attract trouble

A thai with money can have power to match it

Forangs with money can be a sheep umongst wolves if not carefull

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

And if the Benz is not convetible, is it safe or not ? 555+

Sorry but I always feel safer in a 5 millions car than in a Toyota because they know that if they make problems I will be able to fight with my money and with my acquaintances...

Maybe it's an evidence as they never tried even once until now !

I;m not going to be low profile just because cheap monkeys could try to create problems.

Show to a dog that you are scare and he will bite you, but if you bite him first it is usually safe <3

You do have a point you probably won't get stopped in road blocks but

They might run a covert investigation and find something to nick you for

As without knowing there is normally something that you have done that is illegal even with out knowing

Things as Perth as when you built you built not within 2 Meters from your boundary instead it was 1.99 meters

Colour of your roof

Someone can plant stuff on you and call the old bill

That happens all the time here

Do be tricked into thinking if you have money your are immune well ask Thaksin to come round and see you'd for a cup of tea

Oh no that's right he cannot come back to Thailand without going to jail for 2 years might have to wait a while

You seem really paranoiac.

We were a group of 5, each of us driving 5 to 10 MB cars tonight and we had a good laugh on your post.

I believe in most real democracies (and I do not include Thailand in this list) one is innocent until proven guilty. However, I also believe in very few countries one is actually read one's rights. That is confined to, perhaps, the USA and cop shows on TV.

Nonsense. Under English law the police, or anyone effecting an arrest (such as Tax/Customs officials), are obliged to 'caution' an arrestee, i.e. read him his rights. Sometimes this may even be done twice - once on arrest and again before any questioning or interrogation begins. If the person being questioned is not under arrest, but is voluntarily assisting police with their enquiries, he/she must immediately be cautioned if it appears that anything he/she says might give cause for arrest and/or criminal charges. Even if the caution is not read a second time, it is customary to remind the arrestee that he is "still under caution". Failure to caution means that anything the suspect says cannot be used in evidence in court. This is a long-standing right at common law, now enshrined in legislation, and upon which 'Miranda Rights' in the USA are based.

All of which is totally irrelevant to whatever happens in Thailand, of course.

Edited by Rumpole
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe in most real democracies (and I do not include Thailand in this list) one is innocent until proven guilty. However, I also believe in very few countries one is actually read one's rights. That is confined to, perhaps, the USA and cop shows on TV.

Nonsense. Under English law the police, or anyone effecting an arrest (such as Tax/Customs officials), are obliged to 'caution' an arrestee, i.e. read him his rights. Sometimes this may even be done twice - once on arrest and again before any questioning or interrogation begins. If the person being questioned is not under arrest, but is voluntarily assisting police with their enquiries, he/she must immediately be cautioned if it appears that anything he/she says might give cause for arrest and/or criminal charges. Even if the caution is not read a second time, it is customary to remind the arrestee that he is "still under caution". Failure to caution means that anything the suspect says cannot be used in evidence in court. This is a long-standing right at common law, now enshrined in legislation, and upon which 'Miranda Rights' in the USA are based.

All of which is totally irrelevant to whatever happens in Thailand, of course.

Yes this is not related to Thailand but i am interested

In the UK if once being read your rights. If you waver the question to " do you understand" does this mean that what you say cannot be used in evidence as by agreeing that you understand you are going into contract with the police admitting that you accept their terms.

If for example when the police finish off my rights with do you understand . I would say i have no authority to answer that question as i am not binding myself into contract with you or something like that. Would that help me not become a victim.If i was locked up without admitting that i understand my rights then could this be seen as kidnapping as the UK law is not common law it is corporation law

So many corporation laws do not apply to everyone but we are tricked into falling victim to the corporation contract.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, for sure, after more than 10 years without being even questioned by any cop at any place I need help from someone who spends his days an nights in a police station because he is not able to manage his life the right way. Thank you !

Why do the words "utter twonker" come to mind?

you know why he hasn't been questioned by police for 10 years.

Its because he is on a 15 year stretch so the police have finished with him.

Corr they got it made now. internet in the cells.

he hasn't see the inside of a police station for 10 year maybe because for the last 10 years has been starring at his prison cell walls tongue.png

What you say can always be used against you regardless of what police say, which is why any decent lawyer will advise you to say nothing whether you have done anything wrong or not.

The law interests me in both countries. I want to know how i am expected to act when living in the area i chose to live as sometimes one might brake a law without realising. Countless forages have broken laws such as taking their tops of in public. Affending religion and what not.

then most of us expat knows these laws. I chose to put this on the samui forum because laws differ from province to province such as Bangkok you can be fined for dropping a cigarette but n the floor

The law is a very complex thing and in Thailand i know that specially in Samui they shall not arrest someone for every small thing they do. If they want someone they might take their time gathering evidence on that person whilst one thinks they are getting away with what ever they are doing. Every move has been calculated.

I was shocked onces when a Thai woman was talking to my New girl friend at the time. I had never met this Thai woman before but she was married to a policeman and she knew everything about me and my history and my staff and ex birds, family

I was quite shocked, Just shows like i said being low key can help. Just because you drive a flash car and the police don't stop you in a road block that does not mean that 1 year or 2 years from now they could raid your hole place because of some minor tax thing or some other document that you might have forgotten to fill out or something and they can take you to the cleaners.

If you are a foreigner in Thailand then personally i reckon that showing off your wealth is about the stupidest thing one can do unless one likes fake friend's girl friend and what ever as all these people shall be looking at ways to sting you.

They are in theory , but the don't

Rule of thumb , if arrested , find out the amount to pay to get out , even if completely innocent , once you are in the system it can be a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Great answer. I was aquainted with Asian ex-pat criminals. They forged documents and their Father had some other scams going. Holy Cow Batman, one of them got caught. Life is good. Dectectives or whatever is the respectful and appropriate way to address them, took this everyday criminal to the Police Station. Once there it was 50,000bh and go home. The criminal Father refused to pay. This was circa 2009 BKK, earlier this very month. However, I'm not sure when the whole thing started. I am witholding their Country of origin so fellow readers may remain more objective. Every so many weeks the thief would have to see the court in Phuket. In the beginning of my knowledge of this his head would be shaved and first he would be confined for about one month. Released and told when to return. Only to go through the same experience every time with less time detained. After numerous lawyers and few million baht at least plus two years or more of this treatment, it went away. I was being strung along this whole time as apparently since they cheated me once on a clothing purchase to the tune of little more than $1000. U.S. I must have seemed more stupid than I am. They thought they would get me again. Actually they did but it was chump change. I don't wager more than I can afford to lose. Got hate email in return after inquiring little while later, how are things? Amazingly in their no brains, they were holding me responsible. All I ever said was, find out from your lawyer, how much and how fast can you make this go away. I was involved in the making of Sky channel movie on location at Mandarin Oriental. The fake story watching the true story. They were not Thai, just ordinary unappreciative criminals. I am surely not without sin. Nor am I any criminal.

nor do you make much sense.

either tell the story or dont

• Like 1

This thread still hasen't given me a good answer what to do if beeing arrested.

In fact it just got me more confused to what is the most reasonable thing to do.

So hopefully i never get into a situation like this.

Thing is Virt, you just won't know if you've been arrested or not.

The clue is if they don't let you go home.

Then you can assume you have been arrested detained.

(What was your question again?)

R

yes there does not seem to be a straight answer all depends on the crime and one would have to play it by ear depending on the situation

So it's now clear that it's so dangerous to have money in Thailand and that others know it !

Thank you so much, we now feel a lot more informed thanks to your "knowledge".

Just one last thing, lets agree that the police knows everything about a wealthy who didn't pay his tax correctly 2 years ago, and then ? What happens ? The wealthy has to throw few millions to the dogs ? What a drama ! His life will end !!! It would have been really better to have a low life for so many years just to avoid taking the maximum risk to get caught for incorrect tax bill...

The whole story and point of view is ridiculous.

So it's now clear that it's so dangerous to have money in Thailand and that others know it !

Thank you so much, we now feel a lot more informed thanks to your "knowledge".

Just one last thing, lets agree that the police knows everything about a wealthy who didn't pay his tax correctly 2 years ago, and then ? What happens ? The wealthy has to throw few millions to the dogs ? What a drama ! His life will end !!! It would have been really better to have a low life for so many years just to avoid taking the maximum risk to get caught for incorrect tax bill...

The whole story and point of view is ridiculous.

So u round in your flashy car and show off your money on people's faces

That's dangerous in any country

As they say in Thailand up to but as I shall probably never know u so if u ever do get trouble I shall never know about

But I would love to be there to say told u so