tips for finding appartement/studio

brouillard

Hey ChiangMai'ers ;)

I'm coming to live in Chiang Mai and I want to find an appartement or just a studio room. Something not too expensive since I will spend most of the time outside anyway.

I was wondering if you can give me any tips what I have to look for when I'm searching for a place.

What is usually included in the rent, and which additional cost do I have to count with (e.g. electricity, water ?)

and how much are the additional cost approximately?

I guess facilities like kitchen/laundry/wifi will not be included in normal places, right?

Are flatshares common in Thailand? Do you know any webpages or sources I could get more informations for it?

Thanks for any help :)

Hi brouillard.

I don't think you will find many flat-share opportunities in CM, and to be honest, I don't think you would want to share a budget priced flat/apartment with anyone unless you knew them very well. House shares are more common though, as there's usually a lot more room, and the individuals can have their own "space" within the house while sharing communal areas.

House sharing opportunities can be found posted around the city on the notice boards of restaurants and guest houses. I have to say that the ones I've seen tend to be from folks heavily into meditation, Yoga, non-smoking, teetotal, vegetarian types. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I thought the observation worth pointing out

You can reside as cheaply or as lavishly as you want here, by either slumming it in a 3,500 B tiny apartment with fan overhead, or living the life of Riley in a Penthouse with Butler and maid to boot. Where you live, how you live, and how much you spend to survive is literally down to personal choices/means.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

You won't find that cheap places are advertised. Really, it's a matter of identifying suitable condos and asking at the condo office. In this condo (Sri Anant) I've seen studios advertised for B2500 furnished, with aircon. At this level, you really need a local to help.

For short time stays the best deals are the "service apartments " from 5000 to 8000 THB/month, or some guesthouses that offers monthly rentals....When I was looking...2 years ago..the best deal was a room in a small hotel around the block of the Miami Hotel, soi 9 and Moon Luang... On Soi 9 is a Guesthouse called SK1House. Nice place with English speaking attendants. Look for the sexy girl on the tours service and ask for advise. She is very helpful and can recommend monthly rental places in town. If you look by yourself, or with a RE agency, prices may be a lot higher.

If will be you first time in Chiang Mai and you decide to stay in this place for few days, call them and ask for a ride when you are arriving in Chiang Mai. www.theskhouse.com Rooms from 300 to 700THB/night Good location, safe place, nice environment..and a swimming pool.

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

Edited by umbanda