Edible Dates

soidog2

cool. I'd love to have some date palms, as well as kiwi vines and cocoa trees.

a little story about dates: About 180 years ago, a European expedition was traveling south and then north, to explore the Sahara Desert. On their way back, they were harassed by Tuareg and the Europeans were have a very tough time - low on water, and out of food. The Tuaregs put a bowl of figs on their route. The Europeans gulped them up, then realized an hour later that they were laced with an hallucinagen drug.

I guess they ate dates but they thought it was figs? Or was it the other way around ?

By the way; in addition to the three items you mentioned; figs are also available here!

Just a litte fun.

Best regards

I've tried growing figs. Here's what happens: Propagate from rooting a cutting. No problem. The initial 10 months or so, it looks great, and puts out new growth and leaves. Then... pfoot. Dead. Has happened numerous times at my farmstead in northernmost Thailand.

BTW, a few years ago, some guy from Australia mentioned bringing grape cuttings in from Australia. Apparently, his family had been growing Muscat grapes for a long time. He offered to send me some cuttings at a later date, but we've gotten out of touch. Would dearly love some Muscat grapes, or any table grapes that would grow where I reside. Same for figs. I can trade, as I have over a dozen interesting trees for trading.

I have both figs & seedless grapes imported from Oregon, no Muscat.

Growing the figs for a good number of years; never had a problem with them dying.

Some are fussier than others; my only problem, some of the imported ones are not fully acclimatized. The fruit is small and erratic.

Brown Turkey is a prolific & reliable producer not impressed by dry or wet seasons, ripe fruit is reddish purple outside, pink inside, especially sweet in the dry season, must let it ripe until soft, watch out for the birds.

Tropical viticulture is difficult, vines must be induced to sleep, preferably grown under canopies to avoid endless problems in the rainy season.

Fig cuttings; we can trade anytime; grapes cuttings will not be available until next pruning, most likely at the end of this year, (commercial producers prune twice a year; we just do it for fun.)

BTW; at Chatuchak and a lot of other larger markets; plenty of Thai grapes are available.

Best regards

Picture%2520750Crop.jpgPicture%2520473.jpg