Anand Panyarachun named the most suitable neutral prime minister

webfact

Out of curiosity:

For those that support Thaksin, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

For those who support the upcountry Red Shirts, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

The answers may not, necessarily, be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

An elected one.

Number 1 on the party list of the Party winning the election becomes Prime Minister....What is so hard to understand about that.

The electoral majority governs the country...Not an electoral minority in any form.

There is no such thing as a "neutral PM".

The electoral majority is very clear about this.

Any hoisting into the PM position of someone without electoral legitimacy is kowtowing to anti-democratic forces. Akin to the coup-rooted AV when he was forced onto the electoral majority. They took care of that little matter the next election, didn't they.

If anti-democracy is the first choice...OK...Then one can talk about neutral and appointed Prime Ministers.

First decision - Electoral democracy or not...After that, selections for a Prime Minister are very easy.

This is one of the clearest examples of these PAD-Dem rooted Polls such as NIDA seeking to add a 'Public Opinion" veneer to themselves.....Ask any UDD/PTP/RS individual and anyone from the electoral majority who a good neutral PM should be, and one is bound to get laughed or booted out of the room. So one can imagine who NIDA asked the questions of.

Not complicated.

Not complicated was old man river's post simply asking WHO, but maybe that is too complicated for some.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares what YOU think?

are you Thai? no - so shut up and let Thais decide

And there was me thinking it's ok to voice your own opinion in these forums, silly me!

agreed but to say 'He is My Man' (in bold) when not Thai warrants 'let the Thais decide' - if he is 'anyone's man' he certainly is not a farangs lol

:huh:

Is that a roundabout way of apologizing for telling other forum members to shut up?

Shouldn't Anand have been done for lese majeste after the wikileaks incident? Just askin'.

I just realised where your username is from, it's well futile!

Keep it foolish.

Anyway, on topic

27.82% of the respondents named Anand Panyarachun, 23.27% had no comment, 18.55% said nobody was suitable for the post, and 6.36% named former Asean secretary-general Surin Pitsuwan

That's really going to solve divisions! laugh.png

He founded NIDA ....he has worked for them forever...of course he's gonna be their dog in the race....do more research guys more than Wikipedia...

Could you point us in the direction that validates your "He founded NIDA" claim?

He and Prem worked together with his Royal Majesty on developing this entity...

http://www.cabinet.thaigov.go.th/eng/pm_18.htm

Sorry, but in your link, it doesn't say anything about Anand "founded NIDA".

Do you have any other source that does say that?

When googling "NIDA founded", on the right side of the results screen it lists His Majesty the King as its founder.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=NIDA+founded&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=nn0OU8P-JaquiQeA6YGABg

Yes I know his Majesty is listed as the founder...Anand and Prem worked together for years on this entity ...

Anand...From 1982-1984, he was President of ASEAN Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and, from 1988-1989, he was President of ASEAN Task Force, in charge of ASEAN co-operation. From May 1986 to January 1991, he was President of ASEAN Committee in ASEAN-USA Council.

mhide.gifmhide.gifmhide.gifHe also held important posts in many academic institutions, including, National Institute of Development Administration, Thailand Development Research Institute, Science and Technology Development Council, Sasin Business Administration Institute, Chulalongkorn University Council, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) and ASEAN-USA Technology Exchange Institute. In October 1990, he was appointed Member of The World Management Council (CLOS) and, in January 1991, he was appointed Member of The Business Council for Sustainable Development (BCSD).

Thanks for the clarification

Anand is a mature gentleman, well-mannered, well-spoken and very honest and a cool choice for a great PM clap2.gif

Anand the saviour, Anand the Nelson Mandela of Thailand AMEN

cheesy.gif Nelson Mandela? he was never a 'coup' choice the was the PEOPLE'S choice through ELECTIONS (you know what they are right?)

he won the hearts and minds of the people and they VOTED him in

it's so embarrassing this ignorance... I WISH we had a Mandela - it's what we need - but not through imposition but through democracy (as in the case of the wonderful Mandela)

go LEARN wai.gif

Mugabe, Amin, Marcos, Al Bashir, Hun Sen, Hussein all elected, just for starters.

What are PTPs principles on democracy? And how have they followed them since they were elected the last time?

he said "Mandela"?

you mean he meant "Mugabe, Amin, Marcos" etc ??????????????????????????????????????

so he meant to say "Mugabe or Marcos or Amin" is the SAVIOUR of Thailand (AMEN) ?????????? wow i think you maybe right - WELL DONE

I think you can't read, and again don't answer questions. Trying to twist words, has just made you look even more foolish. Run along Joey.

I think you can't read, and again don't answer questions. Trying to twist words, has just made you look even more foolish. Run along Joey.

Joey??? is that some sore of Australian insult? lol

anyway you mean I did not answer the PTP 'principals on democracy'? sorry... it's clear - PTP participated in a free and fair election and won, just as they did yesterday in Chiang Mai. The Dems fear defeat and chickened out - what more is there to say? those are the FACTS

I agree..., Anand is a good choice. Instrumental in many positive things in Thai government. Regarding age, admit it could be an issue but this would be a relatively short term effort (12-18 months) and believe he's up to it.

but only 27% of the OP poll voted that way? and he's never been elected? I don't know if he's a good man or not but does Thailand need an unelected ex-coup PM? would the Thai people accept it?

i heard this before same ole rudderick on a different day... he is only neutral in being able to be nuetered... otherwise he is lining his pockets with greed n corruption and then foaming at the mouth of, "i get to be PM for a day!"

What happened to Democracy... power to the people? by the people, for the people and of the people? its called election... thats who is the one who is wanted not this bozo...

makes me think of lawyers and these politicians...

What do you call 5000 dead lawyers(thai politicians) at the bottom of the ocean?
A: A good start!

Q: What's the difference between a good lawyer(neutral Politician) and a bad lawyer(politician)?

A: A bad lawyer(politician) makes your case drag on for years. A good lawyer(neutral Politician)makes it last even longer...

and the comedy-drama continues...

Edited by cmiuc

Re; his age, it is not relevant because he would be only be a short-term "stepping-stone" to new and equally moderate leaders, who would be younger and would be deemed worthy by Anand.

This would be a small but highly significant step in the right direction, assuming he acted on reform and social justice for the poorest people in Thailand including those in the North.

There is no such thing as neutral as everyone has their opinion that may be more similar to one side or the other.

What makes a person closest to neutral is if they have the following characteristics:

Integrity

The best interests of the nation as priority

Do not use their emotions when making decisions

Compromising character

Are aware of and have control of their ego

Can rid themselves of a confirmation bias; that is to not conclude it in your mind before you've made the decision and then try to find reasons and facts to support it. This is a common human weakness.

Khun Anand is pretty close to having all of the above qualities but I doubt either side really wants a neutral person.

They want someone who sways towards their side.

Edited by smileydude

A decent man, a very good choice, just hope he got the power to handle all the problems involved with the terrible job to solve the mess that the Shinawatra clan has created in Thailand.

He may well be those things, but he has also been the go-to man for the last 25 years when the situation gets tricky... and look where we are today. If he can foment change and not just restore the status quo, then I'm all for it, but I am sceptical that he will be able to make the grass roots changes required.

Not his mission!!

It is to fill in whilst the reform committee does it's job in sorting out the flaws in the electoral system before free and fair elections can be held - with the eventual winners (assuming the elections are fair) being given the electoral mandate to govern the country.

I have lived in Udon now for the last 4.5 years and love the people and the area

have done alot to the place to make it a place I love to live in

But the wife is now talking that it is time to sell the house and businesses and move to Hua Hin

She feels Taskin will never loose face and let his sister loose power

she has been told to set up a power base and rebel government in Chaing Mai

and the future for Thailand we see is fighting

Bangkok and Issan will become battle grounds for those trying to show how tough they are

I asked about Pattaya, she smiled and said no way husband ?????? ha ha

This is her opinion, but I can only say, she has been right every time she has made a prediction for all that is happening

Do as she says. She's Thai, she's the boss. Funny you never mentioned your wife before now.

Well, she certainly knows all about Pattaya whistling.gifrolleyes.gifcheesy.gif

There is no such thing as neutral as everyone has their opinion that may be more similar to one side or the other.

What makes a person closest to neutral is if they have the following characteristics:

Integrity

The best interests of the nation as priority

Do not use their emotions when making decisions

Compromising character

Are aware of and have control of their ego

Can rid themselves of a confirmation bias; that is to not conclude it in your mind before you've made the decision and then try to find reasons and facts to support it. This is a common human weakness.

Khun Anand is pretty close to having all of the above qualities but I doubt either side really wants a neutral person.

They want someone who sways towards their side.

Disagree!!

The Dems want someone to hold the fort whilst the reform committee performs it's work in sorting the country and constitution out.

The PTP (if they are not banned) will want nothing to do with fairness and honesty being introduced into the fray as they (Thaksin) likes it as it is.

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

from what you described he seems to very neutral. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Ummmm...if he is so popular he would have been elected to the office. Thailand had the election and people need to respect the votes cast.

BUT it's not about election. It's about succession and getting rid of the clause in the constitution which gives the PM a say-so.

Edited by SNGLIFE
  • Like 1

Here's a novel idea why not hold an election and see who the majority of the electorate want as the leader of the country. I wonder how many people working out on the farms in Isaan were polled. If he is that suitable why not stand with a party or be appointed leader of the Democrats and win in a fair election.

An election?

Hm ...I wonder why nobody in Thailand ever thought of holding an election.

Could that be the magic solution to the problem?

Wasting your time there mate, Suthep would'nt allow it south of Bangkok. w00t.gif

Out of curiosity:

For those that support Thaksin, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

For those who support the upcountry Red Shirts, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

The answers may not, necessarily, be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

An elected one.

Number 1 on the party list of the Party winning the election becomes Prime Minister....What is so hard to understand about that.

The electoral majority governs the country...Not an electoral minority in any form.

There is no such thing as a "neutral PM".

The electoral majority is very clear about this.

Any hoisting into the PM position of someone without electoral legitimacy is kowtowing to anti-democratic forces. Akin to the coup-rooted AV when he was forced onto the electoral majority. They took care of that little matter the next election, didn't they.

If anti-democracy is the first choice...OK...Then one can talk about neutral and appointed Prime Ministers.

First decision - Electoral democracy or not...After that, selections for a Prime Minister are very easy.

This is one of the clearest examples of these PAD-Dem rooted Polls such as NIDA seeking to add a 'Public Opinion" veneer to themselves.....Ask any UDD/PTP/RS individual and anyone from the electoral majority who a good neutral PM should be, and one is bound to get laughed or booted out of the room. So one can imagine who NIDA asked the questions of.

Not complicated.

Too complicated for you obviously! The PM is not automatically the one with most party-list votes. The PM is elected by the MPs. Could be any MP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

Wait!!!! I just wanted to take back my previous "like" of your comments. I failed to see your final, "He is my Man." comment. As a believer in democratically elected governments I don't see how he can be "your man". And how, after everything you pointed out about his previous history, can you or anyone else believe he would be a "neutral" prime minister.

• Like 1

Appalling choice. He epitomizes all that is wrong with Thailand's social structure, and a significant contributor to why it's so f'd up today.

Complete forward into the past.

Just look at the names of suggested leaders in that poll and you can see it oozing bias in favor of the vested interests (ie: elitist; anti anything vaguely populist, Thaksin).

Credibility of the so-called poll completely crumbles in even putting forward MR Pridiyathorn Devakula given his role in the farce that landed Thaksin his conviction for `corruption' in the so-called land scandal. Scandalous only in that the focus of the investigation, charges were on Thaksin and not on the person actually in charge of the FIDF sale, Pridiyathorn.

The whole system is skewed in favor of the elitists.

• Like 2

Joey??? is that some sore of Australian insult? lol

anyway you mean I did not answer the PTP 'principals on democracy'? sorry... it's clear - PTP participated in a free and fair election and won, just as they did yesterday in Chiang Mai. The Dems fear defeat and chickened out - what more is there to say? those are the FACTS

Not an Australian insult.

Still waiting for you to answer questions on the principles of democracy...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app