Thai Immigration Police at Pu Nam Ron - near Kanchanburi - Now Demanding 900 Baht Bribe

It is not Thai immigration that is wanting the 900 baht. It is the people on the other side of the border. Thai immigration will not stamp you out unless you can be stamped into and out of Myanmar.

The Myanmar entry costs 500 baht and they are now charging a service charge of 400 baht to take your passport across no mans land to get the stamps for Myanmar.

Disgraceful.

I went there 3 months ago and they demanded 700b and refused to even take my passport to stamp me out until I gave it to the laughing 'Agent'.

I was on my motorbike and after giving in (they just pushed my passport away and told me to F Off (Bai Loi). With little choice I paid the 700b and took the passport after being stamped out and went up to the Burmese border post myself behind the agent. About 2km past the Thai side. The agent was very nervous about me having my own passport and made sure to keep up with me and talk to the Burmese guards before me.

Now it's 900b?

A disgrace.

I have to go there soon and think I will first email the Immigration department, though a lot of good that will do. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It is not Thai immigration that is wanting the 900 baht. It is the people on the other side of the border. Thai immigration will not stamp you out unless you can be stamped into and out of Myanmar.

The Myanmar entry costs 500 baht and they are now charging a service charge of 400 baht to take your passport across no mans land to get the stamps for Myanmar.

No, actually, as I said, it is Thai Immigration that is demanding the 900 baht.

Part of their vague set of ever-changing lies about what the payment is for is what you said. i.e. it goes to the Myanmar side. If you think Thai Immigration is doing you a favor, try getting a receipt(s) from them.

Remember, it is not the job of Thai Immigration to collect fees for Myanmar. Their job is to stamp you out (free), and, upon return, admit you or refuse entry. If Myanmar is refusing to accept travelers at that border crossing, the Thais can advise you and make it clear that that border crossing is not open.

For many of you it hurts but ... use your head. And, if you have cahones, use them, too.

If you're a cowardly expat lush, or a gushing newbie still amazed by "how cheap everything is", well, just pay them whatever they ask. Hey, you can even tip them to show what a big man you are. Or how "sensitive" you are to the plight of the poor Asians.

Edited by Obb
  • Like 2

No, actually, as I said, it is Thai Immigration that is demanding the 900 baht.

Part of their vague set of ever-changing lies about what the payment is for is what you said. i.e. it goes to the Myanmar side. If you think Thai Immigration is doing you a favor, try getting a receipt(s) from them.

Remember, it is not the job of Thai Immigration to collect fees for Myanmar. Their job is to stamp you out (free), and, upon return, admit you or refuse entry. If Myanmar is refusing to accept travelers at that border crossing, the Thais can advise you and make it clear that that border crossing is not open.

For many of you it hurts but ... use your head. And, if you have cahones, use them, too.

If you're a cowardly expat lush, or a gushing newbie still amazed by "how cheap everything is", well, just pay them whatever they ask. Hey, you can even tip them to show what a big man you are. Or how "sensitive" you are to the plight of the poor Asians.

If you were to go into Burma without paying the 900bt at what point would you pay for the

Burmese visa?

Who would you pay it to and how much?

You would not have an exit stamp from Thailand, you would also have to trek around the Thai border point as they would not allow you through without giving them your passport.

The Burmese officials would probably just send you back, to tell you to get an exit stamp, but you could face some sort of arrest.

Without having an exit stamp you will still be in the immigration computer system as being in Thailand, so you probably could not get signed back in. Thus if they let you back in (which they probably wouldn't) you would still be on the same 30/60/90 day permission of stay, and thus not gain anything from it at all.

There were also a number of Thai rangers stationed between the two border posts (about 1km from each). They checked my passport and also had a few words for the Burmese agent, who was very sheepish around them and they treated him with absolute disdain btw.

I doubt you have ever been at this border.

There is no difference if you pay at the Burmese point of entry (the same as other Thai-Myanmar border points). The Thais at this border point force you to pay there (at a massively inflated price) or refuse to allow you to leave.

You do not get any Burmese stamp until you get to the Burmese office 2 km away.

Actually there are vehicles (song teows) that take people back and forth.

The extortion was still the same amount whether you went by yourself (as I did, on my motorbike) or by song teaw, or stayed and let the 'agent' do it.

So you are incorrect on the money being a 'service/transport charge'. It is the same whether they go for you or you go yourself.

I think it is wrong to be screaming that Thai immigration is collecting a 900 baht bribe which is not true.

I agree. It is not a bribe. It is extortion. I'm surprised people don't know the difference.

Edited by Dave 74
  • Like 1

Actually there are vehicles (song teows) that take people back and forth.

The extortion was still the same amount whether you went by yourself (as I did, on my motorbike) or by song teaw, or stayed and let the 'agent' do it.

So you are incorrect on the money being a 'service/transport charge'. It is the same whether they go for you or you go yourself.

I think it is wrong to be screaming that Thai immigration is collecting a 900 baht bribe which is not true.

I agree. It is not a bribe. It is extortion. I'm surprised people don't know the difference.

The topic title says bribe. I have been bribed and/or extorted in other countries a lot more than I have ever had done here. Just some for supposedly speeding, here. Never by immigration.

The 900 baht is wrong because 500 baht goes for the Myanmar entry. Also I am sure Thai immigration does not get all (if any) of the 400 baht.

• Like 1