Vietnam coffee beans in Ploenchit area

nonthaburial

Can anyone pull a miracle out of the hat at very short notice.

I am currently in the Novotel Ploenchit on business for three more days and I am urgently trying to locate an outlet that has Vietnam coffee beans available. If I had the time and the security situation was normal, I could spend a day to try to locate, but unfortunately both are against me.

Any ideas please

You can get the Vietnam visa online in less than 1 day. Fly out the next day with an empty bag, fill it up with coffee, and return to BKK. No need to even pay for a 1-night stay in Vietnam. The flight is only 1 hour each way. Coffee will be cheaper there too. If you buy a few dozen bags of it, that should pay for your flights. Good luck.

You can get the Vietnam visa online in less than 1 day. Fly out the next day with an empty bag, fill it up with coffee, and return to BKK. No need to even pay for a 1-night stay in Vietnam. The flight is only 1 hour each way. Coffee will be cheaper there too. If you buy a few dozen bags of it, that should pay for your flights. Good luck.

As far as utterly useless replies goes this has to be one of the best!

Can anyone pull a miracle out of the hat at very short notice.

I am currently in the Novotel Ploenchit on business for three more days and I am urgently trying to locate an outlet that has Vietnam coffee beans available. If I had the time and the security situation was normal, I could spend a day to try to locate, but unfortunately both are against me.

Any ideas please

Try the supermarket on the ground floor of Central Mall at the corner of Chitlom/Sukhumvit. Its just a couple hundred metres from your hotel.

As far as utterly useless replies goes this has to be one of the best!

Be charitable, perhaps he is geographically challenged and thought Ploenchit is close to vietnam

This is a serious reply, OP and, it must be said, speculative. I don't hold out much hope of finding imported Viet beans in Thailand, which grows its own and protects its own. Same same Saigon beer (or Cambodian beer or beans, for that matter). I've never seen either. Why? Because they'd be cheaper and you can't have competition in Thailand!

Hi OPsmile.png I'm just curious why you are so anxious to get Vietnamese beans in particular?

Did you see the excellent documentary on BBC world just last weekend with Simon Reeve (see link below)?

I didn't know before and maybe you already know already but Vietnam grows mainly robusta beans (which are considered lower grade and mainly go to make instant coffee powder) as opposed to higher grade arabica.

They grow excellent coffee up in northern Thailand you know which would be much easier for you to get hold of at short notice?

http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=The_Coffee_Trail#General_Information

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Hi OPsmile.png I'm just curious why you are so anxious to get Vietnamese beans in particular?

Did you see the excellent documentary on BBC world just last weekend with Simon Reeve (see link below)?

I didn't know before and maybe you already know already but Vietnam grows mainly robusta beans (which are considered lower grade and mainly go to make instant coffee powder) as opposed to higher grade arabica.

They grow excellent coffee up in northern Thailand you know which would be much easier for you to get hold of at short notice?

A coffee fiend friend of mine from the States, would disagree. He regularly goes to Vietnam to buy high quality mountain coffee from central Vietnam. While VN's coffee cash crop is robusta for instant coffee, the Viets also grow the good stuff too. As do Thais in the north, Chiang Rai province, and Cambodians in the northeast, Mondulkiri province.

A coffee fiend friend of mine from the States, would disagree. He regularly goes to Vietnam to buy high quality mountain coffee from central Vietnam. While VN's coffee cash crop is robusta for instant coffee, the Viets also grow the good stuff too. As do Thais in the north, Chiang Rai province, and Cambodians in the northeast, Mondulkiri province.

I don't know who your American friend is ?ermm.gif but I do know that Simon Reeve carefully explained in his documentary about the massive use of inorganic fertilizer, water, insecticide and poor processing technology and that Vietnam is over farming the land

Vietnam is currently the world's second-largest producer of coffee, but its export revenue from this product is fifth in the world due to poor quality, said the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

The volume of poor-quality coffee beans produced by Vietnam that must be thrown away is very high. In 2004, the country accounted for 78% of the total volume of this kind of coffee bean in the world.

Last year, Vietnam also made up 89% of the world's total amount of low-quality Robusta. From October 2005 to March 2006, the ratio of Vietnam's poor-quality coffee beans was 88%, up by 19% year on year.

The reason is the massive use of inorganic fertilizer, water, insecticide and poor processing technology. Especially, Vietnamese farmers still harvest coffee beans by plucking off both ripe and green and over-ripe and dry beans, which seriously affects product quality.

http://www.cofei.com/news/quality-of-vietnamese-coffee-poor.html
  • Like 1