Car factory warranty

flip

Hi!

Regarding the factory warranty on cars what counts? Is this the year of manufacture or date of first registration?

For example a car, year/built 2012 but first registration date is the september 2013. So still nearly 2.5 years warranty or only a year or so (manufactured 2012)?

Thank you very much

Believe warranty would run from the date the vehicle was sold. Note official registration could be weeks or months later.

Correct.

About 2 years ago a new law was bought into place that a car has to be registered within a certain period of time.

Previous to that, some owners would hold on as long as possible to register the vehicle so that when it comes to reselling the vehicle they could state that it was a newer model.

I personally knew someone who waited for over a year to register his new vehicle for this purpose but he still took it to the main dealers for the scheduled services.

Therefore, the warranty runs from the date of sale.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

And what are the maintenance obligations ? What do you have to do at the official dealer shop and what can you do anywhere else ?

All require the car to be serviced by their dealer network, and most implement a '3 strikes' rule - i.e. miss 3 scheduled services and your warranty is void.

• Like 1

I have completed all my services to date at Ford.

However, they upset me on the last one, charging me 450B/hour labour, for 2.5hrs (reduced to 2 on negotiation) when I was only there for 1hr.

I have one more scheduled service to do before the warranty expires, if I take it to my local trusted mechanic and he stamps the book, will that maintain the warranty? What about going to Mazda who sell a vehicle off the same production line, not that I know they won't try the same thing.

I have completed all my services to date at Ford.

However, they upset me on the last one, charging me 450B/hour labour, for 2.5hrs (reduced to 2 on negotiation) when I was only there for 1hr.

I have one more scheduled service to do before the warranty expires, if I take it to my local trusted mechanic and he stamps the book, will that maintain the warranty? What about going to Mazda who sell a vehicle off the same production line, not that I know they won't try the same thing.

Is your local trusted mechanic part of the ford dealer network?

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are Ford one of the companies who will honour the warranty if a service is skipped?

Will Ford refuse to honour the warranty if someone else has serviced it?

AFAIK, All manufacturers in Thailand will void at least parts of your warranty of a 3rd party work on your car. E.g. Fitting aftermarket wheels or brakes will void your drivetrain warranty, fitting an aftermarket stereo, cruise control or reversing camera will void your electrical system warranty, etc etc.

Exact policies vary from manufacturer to manufacturer - some will only void warranty of the 3rd party work was a contributing factor to the claim, some will void it as a matter of policy. As a rule of thumb, any non-dealer servicing/fitting is almost guaranteed to impact your warranty though.

Given the low cost of dealer servicing it's all not normally an issue for most people to continue using the dealer during the warranty period.

I believe the reason you don't want to use the dealer is due to perceived overcharging though? if that's the case, make sure you're not confusing the estimated service time in your book with the actual time taken. The estimated times in books generally account for normal service queue delays, differences between the individual efficiency of service techs, lunch breaks, and even some padding for implementing special service bulletins - they are not meant to indicate the actual labour time required, but rather set an expectation as to how long your car will be in the shop.

Scheduled service prices are pre-calculated by the manufacturer, and are the same for all owners.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Are Ford one of the companies who will honour the warranty if a service is skipped?

Will Ford refuse to honour the warranty if someone else has serviced it?

Ford have a very bad reputation for honouring any kind of promise.

• Like 2