boiled eggs & non-stick spray

pennine

I have two questions: -

1. Given that local water cannot be used for cooking, is it OK to boil eggs in it, or must one use drinking water?

2. Where, if anywhere, can I get non-stick pan spray for cooking?

I am in Samui.

Unless an expert comes along and says otherwise, I would imagine that boiling water would be safe enough to cook eggs in. As for spray, only place I've seen it lately is in Villa in Pattaya. I use a pastry brush and olive oil to coat a pan - it's called improvising in the deprived third world..

• Like 1

Unless an expert comes along and says otherwise, I would imagine that boiling water would be safe enough to cook eggs in. As for spray, only place I've seen it lately is in Villa in Pattaya. I use a pastry brush and olive oil to coat a pan - it's called improvising in the deprived third world..

Really depends on the water supply. Boiling water may kill off living critters, but it doesn't eliminate non-living forms of toxic contamination. The primary water supply may be reasonably safe for such things, but if the water sits in a tank on your roof with a few dead rats and pigeons stewing in it in the midday sun, that may add something other than protein to your eggs especially if any are cracked while boiling.

I've sometimes used tap water to boil eggs without ill effects, but what comes out of your tap could be a whole different set of ingredients from mine.

I always use tap water when boiling eggs and have never had any problems, I presume that the shell would offer a protection.

For the non stick spray, if you are talking about cooking oil in a spray can then you can get this at Tops and Foodland.

The brand is Crisco and they stock both the Olive Oil and Original versions.