• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi all.

ok. i am very new to this and interested to set up a small system .. reason is , i want a fish pond...but then i was researching the filtration system and waste disposal system and stumbled upon this Aquaponics thingy.

so, i am around Pattaya. where do i find the supplies ? namely the 'stones' ( not sure the name lol ) and the add on minerals.

thanks !!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All, Fapington I though of you today while doing some shopping at DoHome, as I

passed up the side isle on my way to the irrigation supplies, I passed these displays

of corrugated roofing materials, in several sizes and corrugation sizes and the big

4' X 12' ones in several colors. Didn't get a clear shot of the prices, was in a hurry,

so anybody looking for protection for your AP system, more stuff is around.

This was Korat DoHome.

When are you going to put in a webcam so we can watch your tom contest????

rice555

post-37242-0-32024600-1424011772_thumb.j

post-37242-0-09808600-1424011839_thumb.p

post-37242-0-98522700-1424011882_thumb.p

post-37242-0-63840500-1424011959_thumb.j

post-37242-0-81842400-1424012009_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,anyone have experience of using Foggers or Misters to control temps,i have a 10m x 5m side open tunnel with a poly roof,i am trying white bug mesh over the top of this as well,i just wondered if they are effective in this situation.

Hello All, you can get misting/fogging parts from SuperProducts in BKK, they have the S-P

brand and have some of Netifim's fittings also. The Netafim office has a good selection of

what's in their O/L Catalog, under greenhouse supplies. SuperProducts also has an O/L Cat,

here's some pic's from it.

Also SP/Netafim products are sold at my local DoHome and Global House.

Also if you want to automate your system, for around U$ 85. plus postage, you can get a

Galcon AC 6 station controller with one station that you can control On/Off with an adjustable

repeat cycle function. Come on at 7Am and every 30/40/150 minuets come on and spray

for a set amount of time. I have one, but a different brand, but made by Galcon.

The last 2 pictures are of a very simple pulse sprayer, can be set up with a timer. Water goes

through the large disc dripper and then into the body of the pulser, the rubber balder is unseatted

and releases the water through the sprinkler head.

I bought a few at Accent Hydro in BKK about 14 years ago, do not know if they have them now.

SuperProducts had(never in the catalog) in BKK as I have bought several their, they are different

as they are on PE tubbing and are hung down and have a fixed spray head.

rice555

DON'T forget a good filter for fog/misting heads.

post-37242-0-16122800-1425580811_thumb.j

post-37242-0-36101100-1425580880_thumb.j

post-37242-0-76898500-1425580930_thumb.p

post-37242-0-16456400-1425580995_thumb.p

Here's the full Cat page, and picture page of some.

The pulse spray bodies can be found with some googling.

Again, you can call SP and they do have someone who talks Eng, just try not to laugh

when she says "walv", valve.

02-939-6363 -65

rice555

post-37242-0-63925000-1425715514_thumb.j

post-37242-0-94833700-1425715614_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I ran across this pic on a hydro thread and took a snip of the pix to

show the misting system at Accent BKK.

The picture was taken by stropeffect, post # 71.

These are like some of the ones I have. They didn't have the shade cloth the

last time I was there, I'm still on my first Accent EC meter.

rice555

post-37242-0-14686900-1426529452_thumb.p

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys,

What's another company in Bangkok to order chemicals besides Wesco or Chemipan? Neither have phosporic acid. Is that possible? Anyways that's what they say.

Have you tried ACK, Fresh Gardens, Accent or any of the hydro sites listed through the several Hydro threads? All sell pH up and down supplies.

rice555

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Aligator, if you wanted a few plants just for you to eat, it is possible if you have a big fridge, but there is a lot of effort involved, if you are still interested let me know and I will explain what is involved.

Cheers

Scoop

Hi guys,

What's another company in Bangkok to order chemicals besides Wesco or Chemipan? Neither have phosporic acid. Is that possible? Anyways that's what they say.

Hi, WatUp, see if you can find "Rust Remover" which is Phosphoric Acid, or a garden product called Anti Rot, it is also Phosphoric Acid.

Cheers

Scoop

• 7 months later...

Great thread, I haven't read it all, but intend to. I'm doing AP, along with some hydro and bio-ponics.

I noticed several ppl looking for uniseals. These can be bought from Klong Tom near Chinatown in Bkk. The shop didn't have a card, but I think there were a few selling. Prices are B8 for 1/2" and B10 for 3/4".

Edited by Smithson

I have a problem growing tomatoes. They do really well until flowering, then develop a disease, as can be seen in the pic.

Can anybody identify the problem and suggest a solution? They are growing in an AP system, using coir and dwc.
98ba4b17cb42d2b907571a4459c4a108.jpg

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some great info in this thread, I am doing AP and Hydro, here’s some info:

AP

I’ve got 100 catfish in an IBC, feeding four growbeds. They are more resilient than Tilapia, but don’t seem to eat as much, so less nutes?

For media I’m using coir chunks, I’m very happy with this, it’s cheap, light and doesn’t heat up nearly as much as clay balls. I put a simple mesh filter on the drain to catch small pieces. This works fine for hydro and AP. Once it gets clogged it’s a great potting mix.

I've also used the hard inner shell from coconuts, but it didn't work too well. Broken down into very small pieces it might do better, as the coir stays a bit too moist in the wet season.

Below is a pic of my GBs, there are no siphons, they are all on continuous flow. The one with all the blue netting is a kind of modified DWC.

IMG_3134.jpg

Blue screen is suspended above the bed, then coir chunks on top of that, with the water on continuous flow. I have aerators in the water, but I’m not sure how much they help, because I still had good growth when they were turned off for a few months.

bubble.jpg

net2.jpg

The frame is made from borax treated bamboo, then painted with cheap white acrylic. After almost two years outside, it’s holding up fine. I plan to use make a proper greenhouse with bamboo. IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

I’m mainly growing basil, mint, Italian parsley and mizuma. For the time being fruiting plants are for hydro. I try to do everything as cheap and sustainable as possible. If anyone has questions fire away.

HYDRO

I’ve done greens in a DWC which went ok.  I also did 8 cherry toms in Dutch buckets this year and was very impressed by the results. More than enough for family, my wife's wood oven pizzeria and even selling to neighbours.

I’m mainly growing basil, mint, Italian parsley and mizuma. For the time being fruiting plants are for hydro.The buckets were B40 each, uni-seals B8, a B300 pump, B300 timer, B600 EC meter and a bit more for the nute tank and PVC. The nutrients from ACK were not so cheap though.

To save height and control temps I buried the tank. Rice husks were the media, with water 15 mins every two hours through the day.

Our yard gets around 10 hrs sun a day. I’ve just bought ten NFT tubes for B70 and want to start with lettuce, rocket etc. Before the rains I plan to build a greenhouse.

For DWCs and GBs I’ve used .25mm pond liner from Thainam plastics. It’s straight from the manufacturer, so cheap, with sizes up to 1mm.

I have quite a few questions, if anyone has time:

-         -  On post ID: 67 Rice555 gives a nute recipe for greens and toms. Is the toms grow or fruit? I have the FE and Pottasium Sulphate. For the others, how many are easily found in small towns? The recipe lists 'Tracespray', but I have Wesco 'Nicspray',  can this be used instead?

-       -  With summer fast approaching is it worth starting plants now (toms, rocket, basil) or best to wait til the rains?

-          - Insect screen is available in various size rolls. I can post info if people are interested. Does anybody know what micron size is best for the screen?

-         

Edited by Smithson

Very nice setup you have, how much was the plastic liner from Thainam plastics ? and yes post the info on the insect screen, i think the smaller micron size the better would be best. Also what kind of mix did you use for the boron treatment of your bamboo ? Another choice for hydro stuff to compare prices is http://www.higreenshop.com/category I have been buying some things from them lately good quality and fast service and they have the prices on the website, google chrome translates it well as it is in thai language. The coir i buy here locally is hit or miss on the quality so i am going to try some from this place http://www.knaapthailand.com/eng/product.php more expensive but as its reusable and gets recycled when finished i think it will be worth it.

Hereinthailand, I can't remember the price, maybe something like B2,500 for 100m of .25mm, but it was a few years ago. Besides being cheaper, I had a lot more confidence dealing with the factory compared to gardening shops who weren't clear on the grade of liner they stocked.

For the bamboo treatment, I used Timbor which is a soluble mix of borax and boric acid. It's very effective, but is not meant for exterior use, hence the paint, which also prevents cracking.

I've looked at the higreenshop.com, their prices are reasonable, especially the blue NFT tube. I wonder what the difference is with this compared to the white type? Do you have any prices for the Knaap coir? 

The knapp basic is 2.1 baht per liter and the others are 1.1 baht per liter, I pay 70 baht for a large bag that I think is 100 liter so close to same price and theirs looks much more uniform in size and texture than what I buy, sometimes the fiber in what I buy is way too much..  I bought the blue nft rail from higreen they are 150 baht for 3 meter now, not sure what the difference blue or white. I had to drill the holes. I alo bought the white reusable net pots they have to use in it. I have cut them in two to make a nice 1.5 meter 5 rail system for lettuce and spinach. I built my own solution feed head like they sell but I didnt really save any money so will buy that from them next time also.