Living in Thailand is making me fat

davidst01

Do you eat alot of Thai food? Next time when you order a Thai dish, say ''Mai mee pom chuu rot'' Means ''no MSG'' That stuff makes fat. You mentioned sweets and sugar, but also the oil. They use alot of oil, the unhealthy kind, in their foods. Say'' maanh noi krup'' Means little bit oil please. When ordering something which comes standard with sugar, say '' waan noi'' means little bit sugar.

I also used to be lean. But now I see my belly grwoing to proportions of a beer belly, and I don't even drink beer that much. It is because my gf is always cooking Thai food for me and we eat Thai food 99% of the time.

You need to eat more vegetables and fruits. Take a colon cleansing. There are many colon cleansing shops in Thailand, I have used them, it has been a wonderful experience, very gentle and great service, unlike the colon cleansing shops in the West. Also You might have a worm in your stomach that eats up all the good stuff. Go to any pharmacy and tell them you have a worm in your stomach and they will give you a special anti-biotic

Why do the Thais not get that fat then ?

They have been eating "chuu rot" for ages.

Most fat Thais I know, are fat because their portion sizes are enormous or they eat large amounts of junk food.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ many thai are FAT. most have a fat % that is way too high, and high cholesteral, etc. a skinny-looking person can be a FAT person... ask thai people u know if you can see a pic of them when they were +/- 20 yo. and compare to how they look now. many nearly "doubled" in volume but are still reasonably "ok" (as they were so miniscule by nature at young age)...

• Like 1

I am sure you will read many opinions about your options to reduce....the real solution is to strictly reduce carbs! All the exercise you can fit into a day will not reduce your weight!

The answer is eat fat and protein and relax!

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am sure you will read many opinions about your options to reduce....the real solution is to strictly reduce carbs! All the exercise you can fit into a day will not reduce your weight!

I agree that food intake is MUCH more important than exercise, although you need to do both.

I'm sure it is totally incorrect to suggest that the only real solution is radical reduction of carbs.

I know that this is wrong because the largest long term study in the world of weight reduction success stories (defined as at least 10 percent weight reduction for at least a year) showed that the vast majority of these success stories were NOT on reduced carb eating. A minority were. So there is no "one way" in such matters.

I agree that food intake control (quantity and choices) is MUCH more important than exercise, although you need to do both.

I'm sure it is totally incorrect to suggest that the only real solution is radical reduction of carbs.

I know that this is wrong because the largest long term study in the world of weight reduction success stories (defined as at least 10 percent weight reduction for at least a year) showed that the vast majority of these success stories were NOT on reduced carb eating. A minority were. So there is no "one way" in such matters.

Edited by Jingthing

Lost of Thai people are fat, but they are the so called 'skinny fat'. I mean, most Thai women haven't a pound of muscle on them and most barely do any exercise. The Thai people are just very skinny be default, but being skinny without muscle isn't really healthy.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1393682598.887370.jpg

67 years old very little exercise ...limited carbs for the last 3 years!

Great. One case. Not the world. Anecdotal reports are interesting but massive studies of thousands of people over decades mean MUCH MORE.

Remember this Calorie in Calorie out. In the number in is more than out then you put on weight. Be careful about diet and do gym, walk, swim, etc. Thai foods are very rich in sugar and oil. Try to make it at home if you can or if you buy from outside they should be grilled for boiled. Stop having Rice, Bread, Noodles, Sweets, Salt, Oil, and most important beer.

avoid at all costs: peanuts, white rice, white sugar, palm oil, deepfried food, ALL snacks especially here in thailand.

as for alcohol: for every glass of alcohol drink one glass of WATER.

as for fruit: 1 piece a day is healthy, many pieces a day is not recommended.

as for vegetables: no limits, eat VEGGIES, loads of them (and may the fart be with you!)

Remember this Calorie in Calorie out. In the number in is more than out then you put on weight. Be careful about diet and do gym, walk, swim, etc. Thai foods are very rich in sugar and oil. Try to make it at home if you can or if you buy from outside they should be grilled for boiled. Stop having Rice, Bread, Noodles, Sweets, Salt, Oil, and most important beer.

Calorie in, calorie out is HIGHLY disputed.

avoid at all costs: peanuts, white rice, white sugar, palm oil, deepfried food, ALL snacks especially here in thailand.

as for vegetables: no limits, eat VEGGIES, loads of them (and may the fart be with you!)

I strongly disagree with you about peanuts and all kinds of nuts. Eating a moderate amount of nuts is associated with losing weight and preventing obesity. Emphasis on moderate amounts. I agree you have to watch to not overdo fruits, but you should eat some fruits, and the actual fruit NOT JUICE. Vegetables avoiding cooking fat, of course, go crazy!

I strongly disagree with you about peanuts and all kinds of nuts. Eating a moderate amount of nuts is associated with losing weight and preventing obesity. Emphasis on moderate amounts. I agree you have to watch to not overdo fruits, but you should eat some fruits, and the actual fruit NOT JUICE. Vegetables avoiding cooking fat, of course, go crazy!

The best nuts available in Thailand are almonds. The only problem with nuts is that they are very calorie dense and it's easy to oversnack on them. But one or two of those small 7-11 packs a day does no harms.

Try cycling. I ride 400-600km a week+. When I came here I was 84kg. Now I am 72 and aged 65. Fit, firm and healthy.

Our cycling group goes out every day. Yesterday 117km into the hills. Tanked back at 34km ph +. Lose weight? Easy!

• Like 1

Peanuts help you gain weight, sepecially if you are O blood group. Period.

Peanuts help you gain weight, sepecially if you are O blood group. Period.

Sorry, your information is obsolete.

Obviously, eat natural peanuts or peanut butter. Unsalted better. No added chemicals or transfats. In moderation.

A Purdue University study published in the International Journal of Obesity showed subjects who snacked on peanuts and peanut butter were shown to self-adjust their caloric intakespontaneously and ]did not add extra calories to their daily diets.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blppp.htm

I eat exactly SEVEN natural almonds daily (unprocessed) and sometimes natural peanut butter as well.

For those who INTENTIONALLY want to gain weight (yes many people have that "opposite" problem) yes they can add LARGE AMOUNTS of nuts like cashews and macadamias to help them.

Edited by Jingthing