Living in Thailand is making me fat

davidst01

This is a topic about getting fatter eating Thai food. A lot of obvious good advice, thats been recycled many times. Some advice is downright stupid....having said that the Thais eat off the stalls, their food is packed with bad oils sugar, and MSG, they only eat white rice & noodles......,But a fat Thai person is rarely seen.....Why is this?? When fat farangs are everywhere....

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obesity among Thais is on the rise, especially among the youth. Who said this thread is only about eating Thai FOOD? The OP doesn't say he eats only Thai food. You are making assumptions. In any case, of course you can gain weight eating only "Thai" food. Especially the HIGHLY PROCESSED ingredients that have become more pervasive in modern times most everywhere, including Thailand. Duh!

Edited by Jingthing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Here's the answer. Google to get the pdf.

Why we get fat and what to do about it.

by Gary Taubes

Life changing.

Thanks for the info.

I'll be checking it out.

Hope it will be insightful,

as I've been gaining about 2kg every year since my 42nd birthday,

and now that I'm on 47, I've had enough of the increased waistline.

In Thailand, everyone wants to talk about over weight,

when you visit them.

They never mentioned weight when I was at 70kg,

but now it's all they can say, to start up a conversation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Health forum might be better for this, I would also say watch the coconut milk/cream used in many dishes here, the right balanced diet, more fruit and vegetables and regular exercise is usually the right recipe.

More members will undoubtedly add shortly.

Don't worry about it ! You'll blend in with all the other fat Farangs here !!!! lol ( me ........i'm 180cms 74 kgs ......whoopee

This has nothing to do with Thai vs. Western.

It's about making healthier food choices (that are sustainable, no CRASH dieting) and also smaller portions. Period.

These choices are available in most any food culture.

The OP is wise to look at this now as based on what he wrote it seems not yet a serious problem. If it advances he will be setting himself for smaller odds of ever tackling it as his set point will see the larger size as his normal and his body will fight very hard any efforts he makes to lower it.

I'm not saying it will be easy even now. It won't. But now will be easier than later as he's heading towards larger size without changes.

If you like potatoes, there are healthier ways to eat potatoes.

If you like rice, there are healthier ways to eat rice. I know most of us eat WHITE RICE rather than half milled or brown, but at least you can reduce the portion sizes and fill up instead with MORE vegetables.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

TRy the ''caveman diet'' look it up on google. Means> eat only lean meat, no pork. Alot of fruit and veggies, shakes. Seeds, Nuts.

And getting chased by the occasional velociraptor helps, too. thumbsup.gif

hmmm, you been watching the wife chase me again? LOL

This is a topic about getting fatter eating Thai food. A lot of obvious good advice, thats been recycled many times. Some advice is downright stupid....having said that the Thais eat off the stalls, their food is packed with bad oils sugar, and MSG, they only eat white rice & noodles......,But a fat Thai person is rarely seen.....Why is this?? When fat farangs are everywhere....

You haven't been many places in Thailand if you haven't noticed how many fat Thais are here, most of those over forty, but more of them increasing in size at just 20 & above. Though the fault of most younger fat Thais is due to the growing number of western fast food chains popping up. Believe the worst culprits are KFC, McDonalds and the Ice Cream franchises. Also, I don't see many fat farang everywhere, anymore but then again I don't hang out in the Red light Districts. There is some healthy Thai food dishes just better for either you or your wife to cook it, knowing what is exactly in it. I think the Thai vegetable soups are the best option and eliminating are fried foods & rice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Against all conventional wisdom, I have never considered Thai food -in general- all that healthy. Mostly fried and laden with sugar. I ordered pad thai the other day and to me it tasted like a dessert, it was so sweet...

I was about 79 kilos when I arrived in Thailand, then I shot up to 90 BEER, 555! Back down to 80 and yeah I still drink beer. I walk a lot and never take elevators- the Thais think I'm nuts, 555. In some respects I am lucky since I'm not a foodie. I and I don't like to cook so that takes away some temptation :)

I am 6'2" and at 80 kilos,, I'm almost over weight, according to the BMI index, FWIW :)

Its not rocket science, eat less and move more :)

Obesity among Thais is on the rise, especially among the youth. Who said this thread is only about eating Thai FOOD? The OP doesn't say he eats only Thai food. You are making assumptions. In any case, of course you can gain weight eating only "Thai" food. Especially the HIGHLY PROCESSED ingredients that have become more pervasive in modern times most everywhere, including Thailand. Duh!

OK lets say it was a calculated guess then...his wifes Thai, she's cooking for him- so I guess it would be predoiminatly Thai. Obesity in the youth is a world wide problem. In Thailand theres more money now so the kids are eating more. And thats my point- it's not so much what you eat it's how much....And cooking with olive oil as opposed to Palm? Really?

Switch to brown rice and throw a handful of veggies into everything you cook. Eat at home more. and triple the amount of fruits and veggies that you eat. These changes are relatively painless and they will make a difference. I know a guy who has lost 50 pounds on weight watchers. He really likes the diet and has learned a lot about nutrition.

You haven't been many places in Thailand if you haven't noticed how many fat Thais are here, most of those over forty, but more of them increasing in size at just 20 & above. Though the fault of most younger fat Thais is due to the growing number of western fast food chains popping up. Believe the worst culprits are KFC, McDonalds and the Ice Cream franchises. Also, I don't see many fat farang everywhere, anymore but then again I don't hang out in the Red light Districts. There is some healthy Thai food dishes just better for either you or your wife to cook it, knowing what is exactly in it. I think the Thai vegetable soups are the best option and eliminating are fried foods & rice.

I've been to many places in Thailand over the last 9 years...Yes of course there are fat kids/people. Are you really saying it's comparible to fat kids/people in the west? In the main the Thais are a lot leaner and fitter looking than most foreign people.

I do agree that western clever advertisement is encouraging kids to eat more. And I agree that Thai food is a lot healthier ...or can/should be.

You are missinformed if you think you have to eliminate foods to lose weight. It's calories deficit....no more complicated than that.

OK lets say it was a calculated guess then...his wifes Thai, she's cooking for him- so I guess it would be predoiminatly Thai. Obesity in the youth is a world wide problem. In Thailand theres more money now so the kids are eating more. And thats my point- it's not so much what you eat it's how much....And cooking with olive oil as opposed to Palm? Really?

It's not only how MUCH you eat, but also of course WHAT you eat. Eat all the celery you want. Don't eat any french fries. Get the point?

• Like 1

It's not only how MUCH you eat, but also of course WHAT you eat. Eat all the celery you want. Don't eat any french fries. Get the point?

OK ...I said "it's not SO MUCH what you eat but how much" ....ok? Get the point now? To expand on my point, you have to control calories, you should then look at a balanced nutritious approach....You seen the guy on Fox news, doing an experiment where he's eating only sausages and drinking beer?? He's keeping his total calories to 1,400 a day...guess what? He' s losing weight...

I used to walk everywhere in Australia and was 78kg when I arrived. Sadly no more. Bangkok is not a good place to walk.

Thats No Excuse! lol

Bangkok is a great place for walking! I walk minimum of 10 KM a day walking,No taxis and no beer!

The great thing about Bangkok is you have a wonderful selection of Parks etc all close and easy to get too!

You can visit Rot Fai Park and hire a bicycle for 30 baht and spend the whole day cycling around the park and you can get up early and walk for a few hours in Lumphini Park ??? what a great start to the day ( and you will get a wonderful tan as well! Just drink plenty of water!

Perhaps some days you can take a train for 15 baht and head to Ayutthaya (1hr 20 mins ) ( a great place for walking and also you can rent a bicycle for 50 baht!

" farang jaidee "

I used to walk everywhere in Australia and was 78kg when I arrived. Sadly no more. Bangkok is not a good place to walk.

Thats No Excuse! lol

Bangkok is a great place for walking! I walk minimum of 10 KM a day walking,No taxis and no beer!

The great thing about Bangkok is you have a wonderful selection of Parks etc all close and easy to get too!

You can visit Rot Fai Park and hire a bicycle for 30 baht and spend the whole day cycling around the park and you can get up early and walk for a few hours in Lumphini Park ??? what a great start to the day ( and you will get a wonderful tan as well! Just drink plenty of water!

Perhaps some days you can take a train for 15 baht and head to Ayutthaya (1hr 20 mins ) ( a great place for walking and also you can rent a bicycle for 50 baht!

" farang jaidee "

I was thinking exacly the same....some fantastic walks / parks in BKK...

• Like 1

OK ...I said "it's not SO MUCH what you eat but how much" ....ok? Get the point now? To expand on my point, you have to control calories, you should then look at a balanced nutritious approach....You seen the guy on Fox news, doing an experiment where he's eating only sausages and drinking beer?? He's keeping his total calories to 1,400 a day...guess what? He' s losing weight...

But that is just STUPID. Who is going to eat only that for life? He may be losing weight but he's killing himself in OTHER ways. Dudes, this is about much more important things than looking hot at the beach. It's about health and longevity. It's about making food choices that promote that. Anyone can lose weight short term with a silly diet. That's not the lifetime solution.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I've been to many places in Thailand over the last 9 years...Yes of course there are fat kids/people. Are you really saying it's comparible to fat kids/people in the west? In the main the Thais are a lot leaner and fitter looking than most foreign people.

I do agree that western clever advertisement is encouraging kids to eat more. And I agree that Thai food is a lot healthier ...or can/should be.

You are missinformed if you think you have to eliminate foods to lose weight. It's calories deficit....no more complicated than that.

didn't say eliminate foods just a healthier diet & didn't say Thai food is healthier compared to the West. In every country you'll find healthy food per whichever culture one way or another, but in general you won't find most in Thailand by eating at restaurants. Laos & Vietnam is way healthier. And there's no being mis-informed about being healthy, you either no yourself or not, or you're a stubborn old man whom believes other peoples' words or theories, books or Internet is the best & most correct source of info....or another way to put, you were never thin nor never young, nor were ever able to think for yourself. There's not a set diet or plan, just opinions. Everyone's body/metabolism is different. In my early forties, I was able to eat 3 pounds of beef steaks per day, along with another couple pounds of potatoes & greens. Exercised 6 days a week & never gained weight past 165 pounds & over 6 feet tall makes me skinny... with no gut, no high blood pressure, completely fit. Everyone is different, these are just as I said, opinions, options to try. Also you have to open your mind to the comparable size differences from Western countries before making a distinction and how long you lived there in the last couple of years. I can only say for America, but per populace & in sight I see more fat people here, actually more unhealthy here esp., with foreigners whereas in other countries 3rd world & the West combined.

Anyways...eating healthy foods is a no brainer. Everyone already knows what is good and bad for them. They eat those things because they enjoy them. Education has little effect on habits. You need to adapt to better foods..

I challenge everyone to go into a bar / restaurant and look at all the fatty crap westerners are eating there.

Greasy meat pies,

Omelets

Sausages

Pizzas

Fried Chicken

Fatty burgers with bacon and cheddar.

grilled cheese

gravey...galore

come on...its pub food...western style ..you know its going to hurt.

get some of those fresh fruits/smoothies and vegetables, like my thai gal eats...

But seriously there really is no simple answer to weight gain, especially in males of 'advancing' age.

Actually, there is: low carb.

I personally don't really go with the rice argument, in fact when I lived in China for many years, it was a given, that as the Chinese got richer, ate less rice and switched to more meat they became fatter.

It's not the meat.

Why Are Most Chinese People Heading Towards Diabetes?

Middle age (sorry once you're over 40 you're in the danger zone) does change the metabolism greatly and humans do tend to accumulate fat in the mid section more easily

It's not the age per se but accumulated weight gain, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome from many years of--shall we say--a suboptimal diet.

As my Dear Old Mom used to say, "Eat Everything in Moderation", probably as good advice as anything

Sorry, w/ all due respect to Mom, no.

I am 70..and very upset because my belly is growing and I cannot keep my 40s shape

OK. Come back and post good advice after your belly stops growing and you got back your 40s shape.

> . I would guess the main factor is eating too much, without proper exercise

The ONLY factor is eating too much.

No. That may not be a factor. You may be unaware that all calories are not created equal. :) It's mostly a matter of WHAT you eat. Jingthing knows this.

So many guys on here with 'doom & gloom' attitudes, that lifes a big problem and all down hill after 40....And you ? positive attitude, start running at 60, and doing the London marathon ! Fantastic.

Great attitude, impressive upcoming achievement. But, totally unnecessary and asking for injury. He-l-l-o orthopedist!

It's calories deficit....no more complicated than that.

How nice if that were true. Unfortunately it's a lot more complicated than that. Biochemistry, my man.

I've seen many Asians eating meat, and there's often huge chinks of fat attached to it. I'd say that's more the reason for their weight problems.

But you'd be wrong. Why Are Most Chinese People Heading Towards Diabetes?

Thailand, too. As a previous poster observed, Thais are getting a lot fatter. From what I see, most Thais over the age of 25 are now noticeably overweight. Being Asians, and relative to all the obesity to which we're accustomed in the West, they may not seem so--but in fact they are.

Agreed. No harm in white rice...even though brown rice has more fiber/vitamins. It is the quantity. Actually it is just a grain mixed with water and nothing else. Quantity consumed is usually not an issue either, as it is too expensive now to have a family eating heaps of rice. An overturned scoop of rice or two is all I ever get served...along with yummy fresh vegetables, and lean stir fried port or chicken. BBq fish is another great local food, with heaps of fresh greens.

I go to the park here in Udon, and see no farangs...just Thais. They are bicycling, jogging, walking, playing some game of football, and eating fresh healthy foods and fruit drinks. Virtually all the Farangs are on Soi Samphan sitting fat and happy on their duffs. The best they can do is a game of pool or darts...and stuffing greasy pub food and beer down their gullets.

I am mid 50's. Firing up the metabolism with alternating days of strength building and cardio are great for kicking the metabolism back into shape. I have been involved with sports and worked out my entire life. Can proudly state that after going up to 240 pounds, I am now back down to my 220 pound fighting weight.

Hit the gym as noted above five days a week.

Do not starve yourself. You need food. But, strive to eat "whole" foods only for a month and then healthy foods going forward. You will be amazed at the results.This means nothing processed in any way shape or form.

Number one for me, and I have my Thai wife bought into this concept also. Do you ever see all the palm oil that is used in just about any of your favorite Thai dishes. This includes Pad Thai. They bury the pan with it before then throwing in the healthy vegetables, papaya, mango, or chicken or pork. It is terrible the amount they put in. And it is a 1,000 calories of crap. We now eat far more meals at home and we use extra virgin olive oil exclusively in all dishes. Light, if no flavor wanted. I think it has made a big difference and as we all know is far more healthy than any other oil you can use.

Just my for what its worth and hope it helps.I also avoid and hate the term dieting. It is not a matter of starving. leaving you weak. It is a matter of eating healthy foods that give you the energy to then pump up your metabolism by hitting the gym.

Thats No Excuse! lol

" farang jaidee "

You must have a lot of spare time. I get up at 6am, prepare my kids for school, leave for work at 7.10, get home from work between 6.30-8pm, take the kids to bed. This means no time for walking.