14 killed, 40 hurt in Prachin Buri bus-truck crash

webfact

Those two filming the trucks fighting are idiots IMO.

Those idiots made sure they got the truck registration before they turn off the camera.

They are idiots for following so close to it. It could have easily turned into a major accident and they would have been caught up in it. They put their own lives at risk while laughing as if it were some joke. They are something else I don't want to type for doing all the laughing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An accident like this could bring down a government in Australia.

In the UK this would also be a huge event and there would be a serious ramifications and changes nationally would be made from lessons learned. Here, it will barely make the news headlines and will be sandwiched in between stories about some soap actors which will both be much longer an in depth. Then the same thing will happen again in a few days.

Remember; Thai Rak Thai. Unless it involves doing anything or changing anything or spending any money to save them from themselves and others.

Concurrent with this accident. Thai news is reporting another major bus accident in Nakhorn Sri Thammarart. It is believed the driver feel asleep behind the wheel causing the bus to crash into a large tree. The driver was killed instantly and the only other person on the bus, the conductor was injured. The bus was on its way to pick up passengers.

Guys! When you travel in Thailand " keep off the roads " and start using the " Trains " so much safer and cheaper! and most of the time much quicker than using a bus!!!

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years now and with me it's " Walk & Train " ....easy! clap2.gif

these buffalos will never learn... but 14 dead... should keep their statistics up for a few days...

They really are going for number 1 in road accidents. right now Thailand is ranked second, but only by a small margin...

and we all know that these busses never stop, never move, and never respect their speed limit... the big trucks usually have more respect on the road, but occasionally you have your two stubborn drivers that encounter each other,

It seems that the safest way to travel in Thailand is to walk,

just as long as you DONT try and cross the road!

I thought all buses now where supposed to be fitted with

safety belts,that would have saved some lives for sure,

until these transport companies can be sued for a fair

amount for loss of life, not the few 1000's of bhat that

is the norm now,nothing will change,as it cheaper for

them to risk passengers lives than take responsibility.

RIP for those that lost there lives,just hope those responsible

receive what is due to them.

regards Worgeordie

Walking is out of the question too due to ubiquitous skanky soi dogs.

Even if buses were fitted with seat belts I'm sure they would command the same respect as straps on crash helmets.

• Like 1

Guys! When you travel in Thailand " keep off the roads " and start using the " Trains " so much safer and cheaper! and most of the time much quicker than using a bus!!!

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years now and with me it's " Walk & Train " ....easy! clap2.gif

When you're here for 30 years, you'll say start using the "Planes" :)

And when you wisen up to what's happening with the aviation industry, you'll avoid the planes too. Time to stay home and wrap oneself in cotton perhaps?

• Like 1

You have clearly not been keeping up to date with Thai Railways frequent derailment club. IMHO the only safe way to travel in Thailand is to fly. Even that involves a drive to and from Bangkok airports.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No standard + No control + No safety + No authority + No implementation or respect of laws and regulations + Mai pen rai attitude.

Total laxism and anarchy!

Accidents, scams every single day on the news.

Maybe they should implement censorship on all negative news as it gives a bad image to the country.

Got it one locked in the third world for ever

Christ, it's like a rerun of the Steven Spielberg classic, 'Duel'.

Hope the victim got the registration number of the head case who was driving the truck.

No kidding. I happen to have Duel on dvd. Too bad it was filmed in 4:3 but still a good movie.

i think instead of expessing sorrow for all these accidents,which does nothing,then someone should make a hard hitting comment to the effect of who cares,because thai's don't.do not take me as a heartless bar steward,i have read to many of these stories and seen too many accidents here.time to tell them as it is ( which they will ignore )

• Like 2

15 dead in Thai school bus crash

BANGKOK, February 28, 2014 (AFP) - At least 15 people, including 13 children, were killed when a bus carrying students on a trip to the seaside collided with a lorry in eastern Thailand Friday, police said.

More than 30 others were injured in the pre-dawn accident in Prachinburi involving the double-decker bus and an 18-wheel truck, the authorities said.

The students, aged around 10 to 14 years old, were heading to the resort city of Pattaya from the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

"Thirteen students and two teachers died -- 11 of them at the scene -- and more than 30 injured are in three nearby hospitals," Police Lieutenant Colonel Anukarn Thamvijarn said by telephone.

"The bus's brakes may have failed or the driver might have fallen asleep," he said.

Safety standards are generally poor in Thailand and deadly road accidents are common.

A recent report by the World Health Organization said the country saw some 38.1 road deaths per 100,000 people, compared with an average of 18.5 in Southeast Asia as a whole.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-28

Another thing that I'm wondering is why a school trip over a distance of only about 317km or so has to take place at night?! In 4.5-5 hours a bus could easily cover that distance by departing at the far more reasonable hour of say 6 in the morning, allowing it to arrive before lunchtime. If the cause of the crash was due to the driver falling asleep, it's clear that he shouldn't have attempted to drive at the ungodly hour of 5am, meaning the bus must have departed Nakorn Ratchasima at like 1 or 2am?! I've never heard of any "school trip" departing in the middle of the night, only in Thailand!

No standard + No control + No safety + No authority + No implementation or respect of laws and regulations + Mai pen rai attitude.

Total laxism and anarchy!

Accidents, scams every single day on the news.

Maybe they should implement censorship on all negative news as it gives a bad image to the country.

you mean to say, what happened should be a news?

what?????????????

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/02/18/Kids_injured_in_school_bus_crash_in_Australia/

didn't hear any government fall over this?

can add several more examples of bus accidents all over the world if you want.

Accident happen all over the world

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/14/world/europe/switzerland-bus-crash/index.html

no government fell and investigation (???) was inconclusive???

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9245047

no government fell??

you want me to send you some more?

if your that fed up living here why don't you go back to your country things are much safer and better there right?????

You a guest here just be thankful you can be here.

This has just been reported on the B.B.C. radio news. They reported that the driver 'fled the scene', but did not state whether it was the driver of the bus or the truck.

that was my first thought, surprised it wasn't in the initial report

Some of these idiots are not fit to drive a wheel barrow less mind get behind the wheel of such a large vehicle and most of them are probably drunk as monkey's uncles. Just goes to show the mentality of some people.

R.I.P TO ALL WHO LOST THEIR LIVES AND CONDOLENCES TO ALL THEIR FAMILIES.

what?????????????

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/02/18/Kids_injured_in_school_bus_crash_in_Australia/

didn't hear any government fall over this?

can add several more examples of bus accidents all over the world if you want.

Accident happen all over the world

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/14/world/europe/switzerland-bus-crash/index.html

no government fell and investigation (???) was inconclusive???

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9245047

no government fell??

you want me to send you some more?

if your that fed up living here why don't you go back to your country things are much safer and better there right?????

You a guest here just be thankful you can be here.

You are making the same mistake as the other guy I responded to. Read on and see what I said to him.

Whatever the circumstances, whatever the cause..........if a tragedy involving a bus load of innocent children doesn't prick the collective conscience of authorities into improving road safety, then NOTHING ever will.

Prick the conscience of authorities, you jest of course. Probably already forgotten as it's now a day old.

Unfortunately, like the majority of thinking people (and that includes westerner's as well as Thai's) what can be done when there is big money involved and policing by way of law enforcement is non-existent.

If someone wants to bring down the government, shutdown Bangkok, create mass turmoil with demonstrations, or even shut down the airport, this is the reason to do it, not because your not getting your slice of the pie. I would back anyone who would create mayhem if this were the reason for it. RIP young children, and prayers for all the families and injured.

"Caretaker PM expresses sorrow at death of 15 students, teachers in Prachin Buri bus accident, orders aid for injured and grieving families /MCOT"

Then DO something about it lady!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aid is good and all but does nothing to prevent it from happening again.

Edited by taony