14 killed, 40 hurt in Prachin Buri bus-truck crash

webfact

Some of these idiots are not fit to drive a wheel barrow less mind get behind the wheel of such a large vehicle and most of them are probably drunk as monkey's uncles. Just goes to show the mentality of some people.

R.I.P TO ALL WHO LOST THEIR LIVES AND CONDOLENCES TO ALL THEIR FAMILIES.

I agree,i lent my wheel barrow to my wifes uncle,it came back all dented up down one side when i asked him ,he smiled and told me "who but head" or accident,he offered to knock out the dents with a hammer,but i could see it becoming like the scene in father Ted,when they win the car,and it gets a small dent which they try to knock out,totaling the car by the end,so i shrugged and smiled back,resolving never to lend him my car.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And it goes on and on,they will never learn.

Little or nothing can be taught to members of "the superior race" as their education/society indoctrinates.

Yes , reminds me of the "little, would be dictator" Suthep who has stated that he pays no attention to fallang who know nothing ! Just imagine how it will be on the roads when that idiot takes control of Thailand.

RIP to the children

Old Sailor you misquoted him, why am i surprised, Do you work for the Sun newspaper?

I'm still fuming at the PIG who made those comments celebrating the death of young innocents, and i mean fuming. It's strange what winds you up. I can't understand why he has not been arrested for his comments. This is why people take justice into their own hands here, when you have scumbags like that working in the police what chance of justice does the average joe have

The death of children does get ignored many times in this country and although road safety has improved in the last 15 years it's still well short of what it could be.

The companies have to get their act together and the government needs to ban certain companies from the roads that don't. Simple spot checks on buses and real enforcement of laws would go along way to saving some lives in the future.

An accident like this could bring down a government in Australia.

Thank goodness we don't see this type of driving in the UK but then we have exams and tests.

And MOTs, enforced laws, corporate and personal responsibility, actual HSE, decent emergency response services, and so many more developed world factors but most importantly a population who would not stand for or cause this daily carnage like it is completely natural and acceptable.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just another statistic, will the Goverment or the Police do anythng ??? me dont think so...

Sad loss of lives...

R.I.P.

The saddest thing is that young, innocent children will have lost their lives, parents and siblings will be grieving, and absolutely NOTHING will be done to stop this kind of thing happening again and again. This is the Thai mentality !!!

• Like 2

An accident like this could bring down a government in Australia.

what?????????????

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/02/18/Kids_injured_in_school_bus_crash_in_Australia/

didn't hear any government fall over this?

can add several more examples of bus accidents all over the world if you want.

Accident happen all over the world

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/14/world/europe/switzerland-bus-crash/index.html

no government fell and investigation (???) was inconclusive???

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9245047

no government fell??

you want me to send you some more?

if your that fed up living here why don't you go back to your country things are much safer and better there right?????

You a guest here just be thankful you can be here.

Always one is there, saying that, it took 4 pages for it to start... YAWN...

Little or nothing can be taught to members of "the superior race" as their education/society indoctrinates.

Yes , reminds me of the "little, would be dictator" Suthep who has stated that he pays no attention to fallang who know nothing ! Just imagine how it will be on the roads when that idiot takes control of Thailand.

RIP to the children

Old Sailor you misquoted him, why am i surprised, Do you work for the Sun newspaper?

I'm still fuming at the PIG who made those comments celebrating the death of young innocents, and i mean fuming. It's strange what winds you up. I can't understand why he has not been arrested for his comments. This is why people take justice into their own hands here, when you have scumbags like that working in the police what chance of justice does the average joe have

The death of children does get ignored many times in this country and although road safety has improved in the last 15 years it's still well short of what it could be.

The companies have to get their act together and the government needs to ban certain companies from the roads that don't. Simple spot checks on buses and real enforcement of laws would go along way to saving some lives in the future.

dream on...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Not sure if it was reported before or not but the driver of the bus had NO license, this has just been reported on Thai TV.

I know at least 3 bus drivers that do not have a drivers license. It doesn't seem important to them and for some reason they would rather pay the occassional police fine.

One of them drives a local school bus.

15 dead in Thai school bus crash

BANGKOK, February 28, 2014 (AFP) - At least 15 people, including 13 children, were killed when a bus carrying students on a trip to the seaside collided with a lorry in eastern Thailand Friday, police said.

More than 30 others were injured in the pre-dawn accident in Prachinburi involving the double-decker bus and an 18-wheel truck, the authorities said.

The students, aged around 10 to 14 years old, were heading to the resort city of Pattaya from the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

"Thirteen students and two teachers died -- 11 of them at the scene -- and more than 30 injured are in three nearby hospitals," Police Lieutenant Colonel Anukarn Thamvijarn said by telephone.

"The bus's brakes may have failed or the driver might have fallen asleep," he said.

Safety standards are generally poor in Thailand and deadly road accidents are common.

A recent report by the World Health Organization said the country saw some 38.1 road deaths per 100,000 people, compared with an average of 18.5 in Southeast Asia as a whole.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-28

Another thing that I'm wondering is why a school trip over a distance of only about 317km or so has to take place at night?! In 4.5-5 hours a bus could easily cover that distance by departing at the far more reasonable hour of say 6 in the morning, allowing it to arrive before lunchtime. If the cause of the crash was due to the driver falling asleep, it's clear that he shouldn't have attempted to drive at the ungodly hour of 5am, meaning the bus must have departed Nakorn Ratchasima at like 1 or 2am?! I've never heard of any "school trip" departing in the middle of the night, only in Thailand!

It's quite usual for school trips to drive through the night. At this time of the year, there are many school trips. Pattaya and Sattahip are popular destinations, because of the beach and cheap accommodation. Much of the trip is spent on the bus, 2 days, with less time at the holiday spot. I went on one which started from Udon through to Sattahip, the bus took the 304 after Khorat. Although there are steep sections in is certainly not Alpine. Most 'VIP' buses have a wooden frame and don't do well in a crash. Seat belts wouldn't have been worn.

A lot of these trips are run on a profit making basis, and are promoted by school teachers.

While the country obsesses about the political pantomime going on in Bangkok, another 70 people die on the roads every single day and nothing gets done about it.

As no financial benefit involved in implementing laws and maintaining road safety, no one cares. It is unbelievable how many people are willing to point fingers when it's time for a good political argument, but, seemingly, there is no one who is willing to take side in such a "frivolous" debate of road safety.

• Like 1

Unlicensed School Bus Driver Slams Into Truck, Killing 15
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK: -- At least 15 people, mostly young students, have been killed after their bus slammed into an 18-wheeler truck in Prachinburi province this morning.

Police said over 94 students and teachers from Dong-Lob School in Tamenchai district of Nakhon Ratchasima province were en route to Pattaya on their holiday school trip. Two buses operated by Si Anong Tour Company carried the passengers, one for schoolboys and the other for schoolgirls, according to the police.

As the two buses descended down a bending slope of Khao Tone Hill on Kabinburi-Nakhon Ratchasima Road, the leading bus, which carried female school children, reportedly lost speed control and violently crashed into an 18-wheeler truck.

At least 11 people reportedly died at the scene, while 4 others succumbed to their injuries on their way to the hospitals. More than 40 people were also severely injured and have been sent to hospitals.

The fatalities include 11 schoolgirls, 2 teachers, a teacher′s child, and a teacher′s husband. Police reports suggest that most of the schoolchildren killed were less than 15 years of age.

Rescue workers warn that the number of deaths and injuries could rise.

The incident is one of the deadliest road accidents in Thailand so far this year - yet another tragic addition to Thailand′s poor record of road safety.

The police said they are investigating the incident, and a high-ranking police officer speculated that the crash might have been caused by a defunct brake on the school bus.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is visiting Chiang Mai province, later convened a meeting via teleconference with a number of officials to discuss the deadly accident.

Speaking to Ms. Yingluck, Transport Minister Chatchart Sittipan said he was horrified to learn that the bus left Nakhon Ratchasima in the early hours of 03.00-04.00, which contributed to likely chance of accident.

"The buses should have left in the morning so they could be safer on the road," Mr. Chatchart said.

Furthermore, Mr. Chatchart said, the driver of the bus involved in the accident was not authorised to drive for schoolchildren, as he only possessed a driving license for personal cars. The Transport Minister assured the Prime Minister that he will instruct the Department of Land Transport to investigate the matter and prosecute the bus company.

Mr. Chatchart added that the 304 Route, where the horrific accident took place, has a notorious records of road fatalities. According to Mr. Chatchart, at least 5 people have been killed on that route in the past week alone.

He suggested to Ms. Yingluck that the Department of Land Transport should be authorised to add 2 more lanes to the entire stretch of the road, which would ease congestion and accommodate industrial-sized vehicles. Nevertheless, Mr. Chatchart warned that the construction might come under stiff resistance from environmentalist groups, as 304 Route runs across Khao Yai National Park.

Ms. Jittra Promchutima, Governor of Prachinburi province, also told the meeting that many of the wounded schoolchildren have been traumatised by the incident, and she has dispatched psychiatrists to talk with the youngsters at hospitals.

"There are some children who are not yet aware that their parents have been killed in the accident," Ms. Jittra said, "The doctors didn′t dare tell them".

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU16VTRNekk1TVE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-28

Terrible terrible tragedy - 13 young lives cut short by the stupidity and short sighted greed of companies who dont give a damn about either training the drivers, or maintenance of the vehicles.

13 children who had dreams, and wishes, 13 children who have parents and relatives whose lives will be forever destroyed by this senseless and more than likely, avoidable, accident, as so many really prove to be.

Maintenance, driver training, driver education as to the road conditions, the state of the vehicle they are driving, and safe stopping distances.

It is quite possible that the company plays a part, in being guilty of expecting drivers to drive for long periods without enough rest - who knows what he had been doing before this trip?

I know a lot of this is conjecture, but when I hear of these dreadful crashes, and it happens so very often here, it makes me so sad at the loss of lives, and so angry that this has happened yet again.

Children need our protection, they trust us as adults to look after them and keep them safe - but as adults, yet again, we have failed them totally, and 13 innocent and beautiful children travelling for a fun filled and exciting day at the beach, will never come home.

Shame on us all.

This video has been making the rounds this week, kinda pinpoints truck drivers attitudes towards safe driving.

Only in Thailand and what is more concerning is the fact the guys videoing this think it is hilarious. To my way of thinking they are just as crazy as the truck driver. I hope that the people doing the recording have passed it on to the police and that the truck driver gets his just desserts. Oh silly me!!!!

RIP. I can only pray that the injured are able to recover physically and emotionally, and are receiving good care and support. My prayers are with the families of all the poor people involved in this terrible accident.

sad.png

May well be seen as heartless - but who pays for the hospitalisation?? and the funeral costs for the departed??

The mandatory Government insurance pays up to 200,000 Baht.

I'm glad this story has appeared on the BBC world website because I hope it embarrasses the hell out of Thailand tourist authorities

The World Health Organization says that Thailand has a "much higher" rate of deaths from traffic accidents than most other countries in South East Asia.

Hey TAT try putting a positive spin on that!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26366332

Edited by Asiantravel

I.4 million people caught for DUI each year in the USA says that Americans don't learn too, so why the fawk would you expect the Thais to be different ?

Every Farang I know drinks and drives in Thailand.

Edited by 10Yen

If the report is true, unlicensed driver and brake failure (more like driver failure), gaol the company owners / directors including a sufficient fine to ensure closure of the company - all proceeds to the families of the deceased.

And about time the police started cracking down to the point of banning trucks and busses off the roads that don't meet safety standards in maintenance, driver training and licensing. In Australia following a spate of accidents one of the major transport companies had to have ever truck in it's fleet inspected - from memory there were a couple of hundred faults found in the fleet and I believe that the companies truck are now or were banned from the roads - now that's enforcing safety standards and brings about a very rapid change in culture and understanding of what is right.

Getting from A to B in Thailand is like playing Russian roulette. I've tried every mode of transport there is and, each time,somewhere along my journeys some idiot has performed a suicidal driving act that has threatened my life

I can't see things changing in my lifetime.

Maybe I should adopt the view of many Thais who witness death on the roads and view the unfortunate corpse - not to worry - 'back tomorrow'

On the 304 highway...Just had two NCA buses bit the dust on that road a short while back,now we have a total of three and 14 more dead.

I've driven a car on 331 to 304 and it's very dangerous. Some sections with no shoulders, very little police patrolling with the exception of check/ATM points, passing dangerously, speeders, mini vans driving like madmen, large trucks sticking out into the roadway at U-turns, etc.

RIP schoolchildren and chaperones on this latest tragedy.

Southerly decent off the mountain, this section at it's highest point and most dangerous is only single carriageway. This section should have been one of the first to be DUAL, lorries crawling discs white hot. (look at the night time you'll see) This mountain road is fabulous and dangerous at the same time. when traffic flows lovely and freely all of a sudden back to single carriage again.

I often do the run Udon-Jomptien, roads 2---304-331--have some very bad patches, with offside lane surface the only option.

really Thailand is in need of standard rail (not bullet style) similar to UK less cost, dual track, able to take 50% of freight off the highway. UK trains are fast enough, why the money for China bullet style.

50% less road freight, plus bus and car passengers transferring to rail option. get some stuff off the roads.

• Like 1

That is a truly shocking piece of road, which is for some bizarre reason 3 lanes, with the upward lane being single and downhill being double. Which is of course completely the wrong way around. To have the logistics of heavy lorries and buses going on that road is truly reckless

Once looked up the height of the mountain, in fact I think it is 2 in 1, so to speak, twin peaks, very little signs as to the steepness of the road 1 in 6 for example or in % form. at times because of the valley's and steep sides when you think you are uphill you need no accelerator. and vise versa. At one point descending as I thought I found I was near foot to the floor. tricky drive without the crazies on the road.

I still like the drive to Jomptien, BUT no one needs alcohol-drugs--lack of sleep or it could be your last sleep.