Libel laws and the Thailand news forum

10Yen

Looking through the Thailand News forum I am amazed at the content.

Thailand and Thai people are really put through the wringer, especially Politicians from both sides who would be in a position to get onto their friends at the information ministry and there's a chance this whole site could be marked as undesirable.

If I was a casual browser, had never been to Thailand, and stumbled across ThaiVisa forum and read many of the topics, I would assume Thailand was the worse country on earth inhabited and run by total morons, and that Thais are somehow an inferior species to the rest of the world, to me that could be construed as defamation.

How do the forum owners/staff feel about this, and do you think the site could be held accountable for it's content, or is it individual posters that are responsible?

I ask because I have been led to believe the libel laws are very strict here, it's not a trolling post, I think people should be made aware is all.

I don't know if this is the right section to put this in, I just thought if I had put it in General topics it would have led to more anti Thai rhetoric and a pissing contest.

Edited by 10Yen

Well, I consider the News Forum and along with the General Forum to be a place where views and opinions are expressed robustly.

My nose isn't out of joint if someone else's opinion, mileage or point of view disagrees with mine ... it is what it is.

As for the legality or the potential libelous content, I'm sure the owners and administrators monitor the content as required.

I read the news forum for almost 12 months before my first post ... didn't deter me ... just reminded me that, like in Thailand ... everyone different ... biggrin.png

• Like 1

David 48,

What you consider is of no consequence.

It is what the Thai authorities consider legal or illegal, offensive or non offensive, libelous or non libel, that's what matters.

Your perceptions, like mine, are of no consequence when it comes to the law of a country.

We Farangs have no say.

Edited by 10Yen

Well, I consider the News Forum and along with the General Forum to be a place where views and opinions are expressed robustly.

My nose isn't out of joint if someone else's opinion, mileage or point of view disagrees with mine ... it is what it is.

As for the legality or the potential libelous content, I'm sure the owners and administrators monitor the content as required.

I read the news forum for almost 12 months before my first post ... didn't deter me ... just reminded me that, like in Thailand ... everyone different ... biggrin.png

Well, your nose wouldn't out of joint would it, you're not Thai and you"re not running a country, you're just an outsider looking in, I guess you don't even live here, correct ?

If you tell me you're a frequent tourist, I'll go crazy, you either live here or you don't, so many frequent tourists believe they know everything about Thailand........it's laughable...

So many ThaiVisa topics have dealt upon the Face Factor, Yet, these defaming threads have been allowed to go on, making Thais lose face.

My only point was, can ThaiVisa be Libel or is it the assole posters ?

Thanks for your concerns. We have both a moderating and legal team monitoring questionable content, but we ask you guys to assist us to keep the forum clean.

If you find content on the forum that is libellous or bad in any way, please use the report button and the moderating team will take care of it.

Cheers, thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Thanks for your concerns. We have both a moderating and legal team monitoring questionable content, but we ask you guys to assist us to keep the forum clean.

If you find content on the forum that is libellous or bad in any way, please use the report button and the moderating team will take care of it.

Cheers, thanks in advance!

Thanks George, will do.