Calling All Avid Book Readers

KelCastro

I wouldn't hold out much hope at recouping anything near what you paid for them.

Boxes of books are going for 100 to 200 baht at the auctions and individual books at around 20 baht each at the flea markets around town.

I will offer you 400 baht for the pile you have pictured.

If you want to hold out for more good luck to you but if all else fails my offer still stands.

Not a bad pile. Murakami is a hot seller. Those are both very good titles and IQ84 is not easy to find used.

Osho sells pretty well soon, but hardbacks move much less quickly than paperbacks.

Paulo Coelho sells fairly well too, but "The Alchemist" sells much better than the others.

Not sure about the others, so 400 baht seems like a reasonable offer to me.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not a bad pile. Murakami is a hot seller. Those are both very good titles and IQ84 is not easy to find used.

Osho sells pretty well soon, but hardbacks move much less quickly than paperbacks.

Paulo Coelho sells fairly well too, but "The Alchemist" sells much better than the others.

Not sure about the others, so 400 baht seems like a reasonable offer to me.

Why do hardbacks move slower? My first thought is that hardback books are far more valuable. Is this more of a "used" books thing?

I wouldn't hold out much hope at recouping anything near what you paid for them.

Boxes of books are going for 100 to 200 baht at the auctions and individual books at around 20 baht each at the flea markets around town.

I will offer you 400 baht for the pile you have pictured.

If you want to hold out for more good luck to you but if all else fails my offer still stands.

Thank you. WIll certainly keep your offer in mind.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Books...what are they?

They are what people used in the olden days before Kindles and Nooks. I must admit, I only discovered the benefits of a Nook a couple of years ago after getting bored with the constant hunt in Pattaya for second hand books and being limited to what the seller had on offer. Now I have over 1000 books downloaded,,,,,and free!

• Like 1

There's about holding a traditional book and actually turning pages as oppose to reading a digital screen. I have an ink Nook as well which is suppose to most like the book in terms of font/print… and I still don't get nearly as much read on that machine as I do with regular books.

Call me old school….

You're old school. Me too, it's got to be the real thing; bookmark on hand. "How to live in a world we don't understand" - surely a must-read book for any expat in Pattaya.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's not to understand? tongue.png alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

You for a start. I don't understand your question.

Edited by giddyup

You can also donate them to the library of The Father Ray Foundation.

Yes, that was my backup plan if I don't sell them -- but I was concerned that since the books are in English, that most of them won't get read. What do you think?

Books...what are they?

They are what people used in the olden days before Kindles and Nooks. I must admit, I only discovered the benefits of a Nook a couple of years ago after getting bored with the constant hunt in Pattaya for second hand books and being limited to what the seller had on offer. Now I have over 1000 books downloaded,,,,,and free!

Congratulations.......let me know when you've read the last one.

The library at The Father Ray Foundation has a section English, French and Thai books ( mostly Comics )

English and French books are extremely rarely read by the Thais; they are mostly read by the corresponding community.

Edited by luckyluke

Books...what are they?

Books are like music, if I don't like what I'm listening to I change the album. If I start a book and it doesn't grab me I move on to the next. Doesn't mean I'll actually read 1000 books, but just that I have a huge choice of what to read.

Why do hardbacks move slower? My first thought is that hardback books are far more valuable. Is this more of a "used" books thing?

Yes, it is a used books thing - at least it is in Chiang Mai. I guess it is because hardbacks are usually heavier and less convenient. Unless they are brand new and not out in paperback yet, they are almost impossible to sell for more than a pittance. However, spiritual type stuff is a little easier to sell in hardback, because people often read them a few times and hardbacks last longer.

• Like 2

Yes, it is a used books thing - at least it is in Chiang Mai. I guess it is because hardbacks are usually heavier and less convenient. Unless they are brand new and not out in paperback yet, they are almost impossible to sell for more than a pittance. However, spiritual type stuff is a little easier to sell in hardback, because people often read them a few times and hardbacks last longer.

Ah, yes. I can imagine the lighter books are more convenient. I've enjoyed the hardbacks as I always found them to be far more durable--especially while traveling. I'll carry the extra ounces to ensure quality. smile.png

Books...what are they?

Books are like music, if I don't like what I'm listening to I change the album. If I start a book and it doesn't grab me I move on to the next. Doesn't mean I'll actually read 1000 books, but just that I have a huge choice of what to read.

I understand what you mean it's a personal choice.

I guess I don't just want to read anything just for the sake of reading. I usually know what I want to read and generally stick with it to the end. I can't recall a book I've decided upon, that I haven't finished.

I wouldn't know a 1,000 books to download, that I might read at some point.

Edited by uptheos

Is having a 1000 books on my computer to choose from any different than going to a public library and choosing a book?

besides the fact that the former is essentially piracy you mean?

Perhaps I've fallen into Thai ways.

if you have ever fallen asleep while reading your kindle in the tub, you will understand the benefits of old school

Who takes a bath in Thailand?

• Like 1

people with tubs.

call it a luxury. i do.

Kinda getting off the subject here, but I have a big bath in my house, but never used it in 4 years.